Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Karl
    • By MSE Karl 9th Mar 18, 4:49 PM
    • 66Posts
    • 20Thanks
    MSE Karl
    MSE News: Five balance transfer deals cut
    • 9th Mar 18, 4:49 PM
    MSE News: Five balance transfer deals cut 9th Mar 18 at 4:49 PM
    Five best-buy 0% balance transfer deals have been cut this week, with the longest card now offering up to 36 months at 0%, and the longest no-fee card 28 months. If you've credit card debt to shift, act now before deals worsen...
    Read the full story:
    'Card providers pull FIVE top 0% balance transfer deals'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven't already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Luke; 12-03-2018 at 4:59 PM.
Page 1
    • stevenhp1987
    • By stevenhp1987 9th Mar 18, 5:27 PM
    • 604 Posts
    • 488 Thanks
    stevenhp1987
    • 9th Mar 18, 5:27 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 5:27 PM
    Card Providers pull FIVE top 0% balance transfer deals
    Originally posted by MSE Karl
    I'm not seeing many (if any?!) deals that are actually "pulled". I see deals which have had 1 month shaved off, and indeed, the Barclaycard offering, while reducing the term by one month, has lowered the fee making it a better deal than before.

Why must the title read like click-bait and be completely inaccurate?
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 9th Mar 18, 7:42 PM
    • 3,116 Posts
    • 1,988 Thanks
    Ectophile
    • 9th Mar 18, 7:42 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 7:42 PM
    I might be more impressed with these 0% interest transfers if they didn't slap a "balance transfer fee" on instead. They are just charging the interest by the back door.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
    • michaels
    • By michaels 9th Mar 18, 10:01 PM
    • 20,690 Posts
    • 95,738 Thanks
    michaels
    • 9th Mar 18, 10:01 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 10:01 PM
    I might be more impressed with these 0% interest transfers if they didn't slap a "balance transfer fee" on instead. They are just charging the interest by the back door.
    Originally posted by Ectophile
    1.35% interest to borrow money for 35 months sounds pretty cheap to me, and cheaper than 1.8% for 36 months. Still mse is much more interested in sensationalism than facts.
    Last edited by michaels; 09-03-2018 at 10:46 PM.
    Cool heads and compromise
    • redux
    • By redux 9th Mar 18, 11:11 PM
    • 18,091 Posts
    • 23,866 Thanks
    redux
    • 9th Mar 18, 11:11 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 11:11 PM
    I disagree with this comment in the article, or suggest it could be more carefully written.

If you've credit card debt to shift, act now before deals worsen.
    If someone has an existing card balance they are considering transferring, then if it is interest bearing then it was already worth acting before this.

However someone who has a balance already at 0% and wants to move it in a few months time should note this but not panic. Voluntarily losing say 6 months now by transferring early would be worthwhile only if more than 6 months will be trimmed from new deal availability within that time. Is MSE suggesting that might happen? Not necessarily.
    • nic_c
    • By nic_c 11th Mar 18, 10:38 PM
    • 1,439 Posts
    • 788 Thanks
    nic_c
    • 11th Mar 18, 10:38 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 10:38 PM
    I disagree with this comment in the article, or suggest it could be more carefully written.

If someone has an existing card balance they are considering transferring, then if it is interest bearing then it was already worth acting before this.

However someone who has a balance already at 0% and wants to move it in a few months time should note this but not panic. Voluntarily losing say 6 months now by transferring early would be worthwhile only if more than 6 months will be trimmed from new deal availability within that time. Is MSE suggesting that might happen? Not necessarily.
    Originally posted by redux
    True they give examples of a month being shaved off, so shifting debts now might not save money if you already have 0% and time left. Like everything its a consideration - there are cards with longer 0% and higher fee and ones with no fee or reduced fee with slightly shorter 0%. MSE has been warning that long 0% cards would be coming to an end forwell over a year now, but all we've had is a slight shortening. Will they be telling us to sell our houses and rent for a while to ride out the pending housing crash.

I'll keep my 0% and when they are near the end look for another then,
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 11th Mar 18, 11:25 PM
    • 58,446 Posts
    • 51,815 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 11th Mar 18, 11:25 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 11:25 PM
    There's a general tightening now that transfers have come under the spotlight of the regulatory authorities. Life isn't going to get any easier that's a certainty. Repaying the debt is the issue though. Not having an expectation of endless transfers. Eventually the road will end and there'll be a cliff below.
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,002Posts Today

7,264Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin