Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Estelle77
    • By Estelle77 9th Mar 18, 4:16 PM
    • 55Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Estelle77
    Paypal policy
    • 9th Mar 18, 4:16 PM
    Paypal policy 9th Mar 18 at 4:16 PM
    Hello,
    I have this issue here.
    I once bought an item on a website and paid with Paypal. Nothing suggested the item was not new and the price would correspond to the genuine new item, which is not produced anymore but some seller still have some on the stock. We have already had this model but it broke after years of use so I thought I bought a good replacement.
    The item came from Hong-Kong and it was a joke. No original packaging and the item did not behave like a genuine one - not registering with unique ID when attached to the computer. Also the workmanship did not look as precise as the original old one.
    To cut the long story short: I received a refund for the item, but Paypal asked me to post the item I flagged on a number of occasions as fake to the seller - to Canada. It costed me over 8 which I never got refunded. It did fulfill the 'significantly not as described' category, hence the otherwise full refund. But as far as I know, as per the distant selling regulations I should get the refund of the return postage, too. And, if the item is a fake, it should be pulled out of the market, not sent back so it can be sold to someone else.

What are your thoughts? Paypal insists they don't cover the returning postage and they seem like protecting the dodgy seller by not recovering this additional expense from them. The last time I communicated with Paypal about this suspicious behaviour they replied they forwarded the case for investigation, but that was over two weeks ago and I have never heard from them since. I kept nagging them about this for a while before, not letting it disappear. I am saving all the communication with them about this.
    Thoughts?
Page 2
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 12th Mar 18, 12:51 AM
    • 7,175 Posts
    • 6,657 Thanks
    KeithP
    And since the item was aroung 50 worth, credit card wold be even worse solution.
    Originally posted by Estelle77
    Why's that then?

Have you considered a chargeback?
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 12th Mar 18, 6:32 AM
    • 12,153 Posts
    • 8,225 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    Thanks for your answers. I have learned something new (about what Paypal can recover).

To address one argument - that I have not convinced Paypal the item was counterfeit - they did not even ask! I offered them the photos, very detailed ones, they never asked for them. And it was not possible to upload them to the message I used to communicate with them - on their own website. I described in what condition it arrived, what it looked like, that the PC did not register it like it did the previous original item... I was happy to post it to them for examination or wherever it would be needed. They did not care.
    Originally posted by Estelle77
    Your photos are not evidence. You need a letter from an authorised brand agent (reseller for example) who has inspected the item and confirmed it is counterfeit. Your opinion doesn't count. Anyone can give an opinion.

Paypal are a payment processor, they won't be interested in examining items themselves. If you say it is fake it is down to you to prove it is fake.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,491Posts Today

8,888Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin