Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jacobs946
    • By jacobs946 9th Mar 18, 3:28 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    jacobs946
    Credit Card Balance Transfer - Payment Missing?
    • 9th Mar 18, 3:28 PM
    Credit Card Balance Transfer - Payment Missing? 9th Mar 18 at 3:28 PM
    A couple of months ago my girlfriend requested a balance transfer from an Aqua Credit Card onto a new Credit card with HSBC.

The amount she put down to transfer in the application was £2,000. When it came to the transfer, there was only a balance of roughly £1,700 on the card.

This left the Aqua card with a positive balance of roughly £300.

After some phone calls this eventually got transferred. But it never arrived in the HSBC account...

Now months down the line and after countless phone calls back and forth between ourselves, Aqua and HSBC the money still hasn't been found and both banks are denying accountability.

Aqua have provided us with the details of the account in which this excess £300 was transferred, these details do not match the account that the original £1,700 was transferred to, which begs the question, where have these details came from?

HSBC do not hold any account relating to these details.

We are no further forward with this and currently £300 out of pocket. Does anybody have an experience of this or know the best way forward for us?

Thank you.
Page 1
    • molerat
    • By molerat 9th Mar 18, 3:30 PM
    • 18,807 Posts
    • 12,992 Thanks
    molerat
    • 9th Mar 18, 3:30 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 3:30 PM
    Formal written complaint to Aqua then on to FOS.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 10th Mar 18, 7:17 AM
    • 2,353 Posts
    • 1,078 Thanks
    Ben8282
    • 10th Mar 18, 7:17 AM
    • 10th Mar 18, 7:17 AM
    A couple of months ago my girlfriend requested a balance transfer from an Aqua Credit Card onto a new Credit card with HSBC.

The amount she put down to transfer in the application was £2,000. When it came to the transfer, there was only a balance of roughly £1,700 on the card.

This left the Aqua card with a positive balance of roughly £300.

After some phone calls this eventually got transferred. But it never arrived in the HSBC account...
    Why should it? You are transferring a balance FROM the Aqua card onto the new HSBC card surely?

Now months down the line and after countless phone calls back and forth between ourselves, Aqua and HSBC the money still hasn't been found and both banks are denying accountability.

Aqua have provided us with the details of the account in which this excess £300 was transferred, these details do not match the account that the original £1,700 was transferred to, which begs the question, where have these details came from? I very much doubt that Aqua have provided you with any such details.

HSBC do not hold any account relating to these details.

We are no further forward with this and currently £300 out of pocket. Does anybody have an experience of this or know the best way forward for us?

Thank you.
    Originally posted by jacobs946

This is all too odd for anyone to have experience of.
    Last edited by Ben8282; 10-03-2018 at 9:52 AM.
    • Weybridge78
    • By Weybridge78 10th Mar 18, 8:11 AM
    • 156 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    Weybridge78
    • 10th Mar 18, 8:11 AM
    • 10th Mar 18, 8:11 AM
    Agree with above. It doesn't make sense.
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 10th Mar 18, 10:34 AM
    • 3,150 Posts
    • 4,058 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    • 10th Mar 18, 10:34 AM
    • 10th Mar 18, 10:34 AM
    Have you checked the closing balance and opening balance on Aqua & HSBC - do they match?

The only account details Aqua are likely to have is of a bank account if you paid by DD prior to the BT - have you checked this account?
    I'm a Board Guide on the Energy, Student Money Saving, UK Armed Forces and
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

It's not about being the best -
    It's about being better than you were yesterday.
    • jacobs946
    • By jacobs946 14th Mar 18, 5:46 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jacobs946
    • 14th Mar 18, 5:46 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 5:46 PM
    Sorry, I donít think Iím explaining this very well...

So, the aqua card had a balance of £1700 to pay off. HSBC take on this debt as theirs with the balance transfer. But it's now £2000 (due to this amount being requested in error) and the aqua card is -£300 now. The aqua money should be sent to hsbc to reduce the amount owed to £1700.

They have sent the £300 but it has not gone to the HSBC account. They have provided a letter with the details it was sent to including a ref number but HSBC arenít willing to investigate.

So I hope that answers your first question?

And to answer your second question, yes they have.

photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNrBXit43Zk5r13YpQT_FLduxZq-gwnqmGvvoQqjSRkV9LWxM8WDGUzUoH3NMPx3Q?key=eWx3dUpt T0NWWUgzckdMLTBETThlYjlwcTByS1Z3
    • jacobs946
    • By jacobs946 14th Mar 18, 5:49 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jacobs946
    • 14th Mar 18, 5:49 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 5:49 PM
    Have you checked the closing balance and opening balance on Aqua & HSBC - do they match?

The only account details Aqua are likely to have is of a bank account if you paid by DD prior to the BT - have you checked this account?
    Originally posted by Dobbibill
    Hi, yes the number match up, and the details are nothing to do with the HSBC account the balance transfer was going to nor were they the details that payments have been made to pay off the account.

Aqua have stayed they donít know where these details have came from and according to hsbc they do not have permission to look into the account details we have due to data protection I believe they said.
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 14th Mar 18, 9:28 PM
    • 3,150 Posts
    • 4,058 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:28 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:28 PM

Aqua have stayed they donít know where these details have came from and according to hsbc they do not have permission to look into the account details we have due to data protection I believe they said.
    Originally posted by jacobs946
    I was thinking on the lines of being transferred to your current account that may have been recently switched. At least you've covered all bases. I hope you get it sorted.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Energy, Student Money Saving, UK Armed Forces and
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

It's not about being the best -
    It's about being better than you were yesterday.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

44Posts Today

3,103Users online

Martin's Twitter