Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tweedlyfee
    • By tweedlyfee 9th Mar 18, 3:14 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 1Thanks
    tweedlyfee
    Warm Home Discount query
    • 9th Mar 18, 3:14 PM
    Warm Home Discount query 9th Mar 18 at 3:14 PM
    Hi guys, my first post so apologies if i am in the wrong place. I am looking for some clarification on the WHD rules. I am not in the core group but have applied every year and been given the discount but this year i didn't receive it from Sainsburys energy, who i was with up until mid December, i have just come off of the phone with them and was told that because i switched my energy supplier before my winter bill was due that i am not entitled to it from them. Now i switch my energy provider every year at the same time and even though i have switched in the past i still got the payment from my previous supplier (well 95% sure it was the previous) but i got it.
    What is the point in being told by the government and every one else to switch, switch, switch to get a better deal and then when you do you lose out anyway. I am bleeping fuming here .
    Anyway, are there any hard and fast rules to this or is it a case of tough luck because i switched,
Page 1
    • Richie-from-the-Boro
    • By Richie-from-the-Boro 9th Mar 18, 3:34 PM
    • 6,383 Posts
    • 4,800 Thanks
    Richie-from-the-Boro
    • 9th Mar 18, 3:34 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 3:34 PM
    Entitlement

You should always without fail check with the supplier you are considering moving TO and check if they also take part in the WHD scheme.

Ofgem rule Publication date 15th February 2018 : They suggest [broader group] you wait until you have received the rebate before switching to a new supplier. Best of luck.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - !!!8476;
    • PennineAcute
    • By PennineAcute 9th Mar 18, 4:51 PM
    • 138 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    PennineAcute
    • 9th Mar 18, 4:51 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 4:51 PM
    As you are not on in the Core Group, if you move supplier, before your discount has been credited to your account, unfortunately, you lose it.

Never move before you have been credited.
    • tweedlyfee
    • By tweedlyfee 9th Mar 18, 6:56 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    tweedlyfee
    • 9th Mar 18, 6:56 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 6:56 PM
    Thank you both for your replies, i appreciate them. Yes, after i posted i looked at the government website and it states that you must be still be with the supplier you initially applied with. I suppose it is a lesson learned. I think that because i have switched supplier many times before but still received the rebate, i assumed that the same would happen this time. I did check that my current supplier was part of the scheme before i switched as that 140 helps me so much with my winter bill, which is naturally much higher this year.

There really should be a change in policy by either Ofgem / Government to state that if a person has claimed then whichever supplier they are with or were with should still pay it. I know lots of things in life are not "fair" and in my opinion this is one of them . It seems it has given the energy suppliers a loophole to wriggle out of paying (can you sense the sour grapes, lol )

Anyway guys, thanks so much for your advice..
    • Richie-from-the-Boro
    • By Richie-from-the-Boro 9th Mar 18, 7:53 PM
    • 6,383 Posts
    • 4,800 Thanks
    Richie-from-the-Boro
    • 9th Mar 18, 7:53 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 7:53 PM
    change in policy
    Both core & broader groups are defined as for fuel-poor. The broader group are essentially 'self certifying' any age members of the public subject now to satisfying the recent mandatory criteria and guidelines who are allocated the 140 on a first come, first served basis.

Core group was designed for less well-off pensioners in receipt of pension credit benefit, this benefit should be paid without asking for it.

Both groups however should contact your supplier if you have not received the rebate in the suppliers stated time frame. Best of luck.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - !!!8476;
    • hilljd00
    • By hilljd00 10th Mar 18, 7:17 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    hilljd00
    • 10th Mar 18, 7:17 PM
    • 10th Mar 18, 7:17 PM
    I had the exact same problem. My winter bill was received 24/12 and the switch went through on 25/12.

Cost me 500 in total for Dec-March.

I will never switch in December again.
    • tweedlyfee
    • By tweedlyfee 11th Mar 18, 3:19 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    tweedlyfee
    • 11th Mar 18, 3:19 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 3:19 PM
    Thanks @RICHIE FROM THE BORO
    I think that i have switched too early like hillijd00 has done and lost out too but when your tariff is ending and you have people "screaming" at you to switch before you get moved onto a standard tariff, it just doesn't make sense.
    I had the exact same problem. My winter bill was received 24/12 and the switch went through on 25/12.

Cost me 500 in total for Dec-March.

I will never switch in December again.
    Originally posted by hilljd00
    Me neither, unless i have a written guarantee from either the new or old supplier that i will still get the rebate, it's just unfortunate that we both switched before what they class as winter, maybe they should come live in Scotland where it's like winter from October onwards
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

563Posts Today

5,675Users online

Martin's Twitter