HMRC apparently chasing me - yeah right

:cool:

I've come back to an automated type phone message telling me that HMRC is chasing me for unpaid debt/trying to put "the fear" in me.

Believe I've read somewhere before that this is a type of con that is doing the rounds currently??

The number concerned is 0161-8503863 that has rung me (quick check says that's in Manchester and it sounds like it's a phone number I'd have to pay to ring??).

Just checking/warning....

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I will on behalf of HMG settle for £500 in readies .
  • welshbookworm
    welshbookworm Posts: 2,905
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    'who called me' considers it a scam
    The best portion of your life will be the small, nameless moments you spend smiling with someone who matters to you.
  • Somehows - I didn't think it seemed very likely - as I'm basically PAYE basis (these days - State Pension and civil service pension).

Hence they deduct my tax at source anyway and have done for years...
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    The number is a geographic number (0161 is the area code for Manchester) so there shouldn't be any "premium" aspect to it. (Unless they have a recorded message telling you to call another number which IS premium rate).

But yeah, HMRC wouldn't call you and leave a message - they'd write to you (through the post).
  • antonic
    antonic Posts: 1,977
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite

I've come back to an automated type phone message telling me that HMRC is chasing me for unpaid debt/trying to put "the fear" in me.

Believe I've read somewhere before that this is a type of con that is doing the rounds currently??

The number concerned is 0161-8503863 that has rung me (quick check says that's in Manchester and it sounds like it's a phone number I'd have to pay to ring??).

The vast majority of calls from HMRC dont use geographical phone numbers, they now use phone numbers starting03000 xxx xxx

If it was a genuine call they should have left a message as follows

"My name is X I am calling from HMRC please call back on 03000 xxx xxx by 5 PM on xx/xx/xx please quote your reference number of xxx - when you call.
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 12 March 2018 at 11:03AM

https://who-called.co.uk/Number/01618503863 plus many more !!
    You need to report the number to your phone company and also https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/report_fraud
  • wazza99
    wazza99 Posts: 370
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Had the same call just this afternoon.
  • Kite2010
    Kite2010 Posts: 4,304
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker! Car Insurance Carver!
    Forumite
    antonic wrote: »
    The vast majority of calls from HMRC dont use geographical phone numbers, they now use phone numbers starting03000 xxx xxx

If it was a genuine call they should have left a message as follows

"My name is X I am calling from HMRC please call back on 03000 xxx xxx by 5 PM on xx/xx/xx please quote your reference number of xxx - when you call.

That sort of message would sound alarm bells, and would require me to check the 0300 number given actually belongs to HMRC and not "Scammers R Us".
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure