Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bunglesmate
    • By Bunglesmate 9th Mar 18, 2:19 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 5Thanks
    Bunglesmate
    Contactless not wanted on credit cards
    • 9th Mar 18, 2:19 PM
    Contactless not wanted on credit cards 9th Mar 18 at 2:19 PM
    Does anyone have any recommendations for credit cards that do not have contactless payment methods, or an account where you can have it disabled?

Regards

Bunglesmate
    BunglesMate
Page 3
    • SuperHan
    • By SuperHan 29th Mar 18, 5:48 PM
    • 2,124 Posts
    • 1,277 Thanks
    SuperHan
    I don't mind having a contactless debit card, since this is quite logical, but not a contactless credit card!
    Originally posted by John Gray
    Care to elaborate as to why?

I'd personally rather* it on my credit card given any potential theft won't be of my money.

*I actually welcome it on both, but if I had to choose on just one, it would be my credit cards.
    • Ms Chocaholic
    • By Ms Chocaholic 29th Mar 18, 5:51 PM
    • 9,769 Posts
    • 59,131 Thanks
    Ms Chocaholic
    I agree with SuperHan above. I always use a credit card for transactions; if there's a fraudulent one, it's there money not mine.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till The End

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
    • John Gray
    • By John Gray 29th Mar 18, 5:58 PM
    • 5,317 Posts
    • 3,127 Thanks
    John Gray
    Care to elaborate as to why?
    Originally posted by SuperHan
    Mentally, I tend to split payments into two types: large payments suitable for credit cards, and small payments suitable for debit cards or cash.

Alternatively, you could just say that I'm awkward!
    • d123
    • By d123 29th Mar 18, 6:28 PM
    • 7,229 Posts
    • 4,669 Thanks
    d123
    Mentally, I tend to split payments into two types: large payments suitable for credit cards, and small payments suitable for debit cards or cash.

Alternatively, you could just say that I'm awkward!
    Originally posted by John Gray
    Do you also still employ a man to walk in front of your car waving a red flag?

Just so you don't scare the horses...
    ====
    • CeeMac
    • By CeeMac 11th May 18, 1:25 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    CeeMac
    Contactless - no thanks - banks should allow option to customers
    Not really sure how to use this forum but in desperation wondered how many, like me and some others I know, simply do not want to be forced to have these contactless cards. It is all very well for some blithely saying, 'you don't need to use it [as contactless]', or 'you are not liable for amounts deducted if you didn't spend it', but then you've got the hassle of sorting out the error, or the stolen amount. Not everyone has enough money to have the hassle of losing up to 30 a time until they can get it back. I wonder how many others, like me, want to demand that the banks always give the option to customers to remain simply chip and pin.
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 11th May 18, 1:53 PM
    • 7,250 Posts
    • 7,205 Thanks
    eddddy
    Not everyone has enough money to have the hassle of losing up to 30 a time until they can get it back.
    Originally posted by CeeMac
    I think the idea is that if you have a contactless card, you use it instead of cash - so you can carry much less cash.

So instead of having your wallet stolen with 30 cash (which is lost forever)...

... you have your wallet stolen with 5 cash and a contactless card. If the card is used, you can get the money back.

The net result is a bit of hassle phoning the bank, but overall you've only lost 5 instead of 30.
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 12th May 18, 8:53 AM
    • 6,962 Posts
    • 3,802 Thanks
    chattychappy
    Not really sure how to use this forum but in desperation wondered how many, like me and some others I know, simply do not want to be forced to have these contactless cards.
    Well, I agree with this. There is clearly a demand for contactless cards, and it would be good if way could be found for offering the choice. When in London, I travel using an Oyster card. It became a nuisance that I would have to keep it separate from my contactless cards.

That said, I now use my phone to pay and I've found that faster than contactless. I also like the fact I get a record on my phone of transactions undertaken. Given I can now use contactless on my phone for smaller transactions, I no longer see a need to have contactless on my plastic cards.

'you are not liable for amounts deducted if you didn't spend it', but then you've got the hassle of sorting out the error, or the stolen amount. Not everyone has enough money to have the hassle of losing up to 30 a time until they can get it back.
    The advantage of contactless here is that it reduces PIN usage. Everytime you use a PIN, there is a risk of shoulder surfing, misuse of CCTV, compromised terminals etc. If you get the card snatched, there is a greater chance of the PIN being used. A machine can record the magstripe data and a fraudster can send this with the PIN data to certain countries where they don't use chipnpin.

Whilst it is a hassle to get a contactless transaction reversed, the amounts are usually small and in the absence of PIN, banks are content to believe that you didn't make the transaction yourself. Getting large transactions reversed, especially those when the PIN was used, involves more work.
    • GaleSF63
    • By GaleSF63 12th May 18, 10:34 AM
    • 295 Posts
    • 419 Thanks
    GaleSF63
    So if you want a card with contactless, can you ring up and request one, or does your card have to be damaged or near expiry?
    Originally posted by JGUK
    You can ask for one anytime with Nationwide.
    Last edited by GaleSF63; 12-05-2018 at 10:59 AM.
    • CraigM93
    • By CraigM93 12th May 18, 10:40 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    CraigM93
    Sainsburys Credit Card changed to contactless, however they have an opt-out option available so it's not forced upon.
    • Gordon the Moron
    • By Gordon the Moron 13th May 18, 2:50 PM
    • 1,438 Posts
    • 731 Thanks
    Gordon the Moron
    If you get a Curve debit card they have contactless but you can lock the card from the app on your phone. That prevents any transaction until you unlock it.
    If you don't like what I say slap me around with a large trout and PM me to tell me why.

If you do like it please hit the thanks button.
    • nic_c
    • By nic_c 13th May 18, 3:53 PM
    • 1,856 Posts
    • 967 Thanks
    nic_c
    If you get a Curve debit card they have contactless but you can lock the card from the app on your phone. That prevents any transaction until you unlock it.
    Originally posted by Gordon the Moron
    Peoples fears are from offline contactless transactions, especially as transactions have been known to go on well after cards have been reported stolen.
    • iAMaLONDONER
    • By iAMaLONDONER 10th Oct 18, 7:41 AM
    • 1,618 Posts
    • 386 Thanks
    iAMaLONDONER
    My Sainsburys credit card and M&S cards dont have contactless, may have changed since they were taken out last year, just ask the credit card co.
    Originally posted by DCFC79
    M&S appear to now be replacing their cards with contactless- even those not due to expire for a while.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,676Posts Today

7,752Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Twitter poll: On Brexit, which is more important to you right now certainty or outcome. Ie would you prefe? https://t.co/En38QfRh3o

• Many saying sexism or ego. My suspicion as someone who works in TV is that this is a format point. I'd think whe? https://t.co/AXfrv5YqKA

• I do always ponder when watching apprentice why Lord Sugar is "Lord Sugar" but Baroness Bradey is Karen. #bbctheapprentice

• Follow Martin