Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bunglesmate
    • By Bunglesmate 9th Mar 18, 2:19 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 5Thanks
    Bunglesmate
    Contactless not wanted on credit cards
    • 9th Mar 18, 2:19 PM
    Contactless not wanted on credit cards 9th Mar 18 at 2:19 PM
    Does anyone have any recommendations for credit cards that do not have contactless payment methods, or an account where you can have it disabled?

Regards

Bunglesmate
    BunglesMate
Page 2
    • AllieKat
    • By AllieKat 10th Mar 18, 11:45 AM
    • 91 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    AllieKat
    The tokenised account number is generated only when you first add the card, it doesn't change each time.

The transaction cryptogram is what changes each time and the physical card has that too to prevent someone copying the card. It's a myth mostly.
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 10th Mar 18, 12:03 PM
    • 1,609 Posts
    • 2,114 Thanks
    badmemory
    People rarely mention the advantages of contactless (which I once swore I'd never use) other than the speed, but a major one is no-one can distract you into leaving your card in the machine & you never have to let go of it.
    • EarthBoy
    • By EarthBoy 10th Mar 18, 12:41 PM
    • 1,853 Posts
    • 1,154 Thanks
    EarthBoy
    HSBC credit cards don't have contactless.
    Originally posted by Emily Joy
    Yes they do. They didn't use to have it, so maybe you have an old one, but they do now.
    • T-G-C
    • By T-G-C 10th Mar 18, 5:39 PM
    • 162 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    T-G-C
    I haven't got a wireless card with Aqua, but the other subprime lenders tend to. This means Capital One and Vanquis primarily.

I wouldn't expect wireless payments to phase out, in fact, it is quite the opposite. More and more financial institutions are pushing for "Contactless" and technology companies promoting hardware.

You are under no obligation to use wireless on a card. It isn't such a big issue and I've never been swiped, without any protection at all from it. In fact sometimes it's as close as my pocket!
    All advice provided is intended for guidance purposes only. For specialized debt advice, please contact either National Debtline or StepChange.
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 10th Mar 18, 5:44 PM
    • 2,532 Posts
    • 1,639 Thanks
    Robin9
    Does anyone have any recommendations for credit cards that do not have contactless payment methods, or an account where you can have it disabled?

Regards

Bunglesmate
    Originally posted by Bunglesmate
    Is it just credit card you want or a debit card as well ?

The same argument applies as the other posters have said - you don't have to use it in contactless mode.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 10th Mar 18, 6:15 PM
    • 8,150 Posts
    • 5,900 Thanks
    esuhl
    So everyone who breaks their card by sitting on it could have the card provider says its now void?
    It depends how you alter it - people used hole punches, so makes it look like a key fob, put a keyring in it and a key on that and it will look "by design". Take the corner off and it will look a bit like the Mint CC

Originally posted by nic_c

Argh! That cursed Mint card! Cashiers would look at the card thinking it wasn't real. It used to get swallowed all the time by machines too.

One memorable time it got stuck into a "print your boarding pass" machine at an airport. By the time I'd got someone to open up the machine, I turned round and... realised there were about 30 identical un-numbered machines next to each other. Ended up opening five machines before I got the card back.
    • Emily Joy
    • By Emily Joy 10th Mar 18, 10:12 PM
    • 105 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    Emily Joy
    Yes they do. They didn't use to have it, so maybe you have an old one, but they do now.
    Originally posted by EarthBoy
    The card I have was issued in May 2017, so about 10 month ago. I would have thought you can simply ask for a card without contactless.
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 11th Mar 18, 11:59 AM
    • 6,763 Posts
    • 3,658 Thanks
    chattychappy
    I've used contactless for years, including abroad before it was rolled out here.

The two advantages to me are:
    1) Speed
    2) Reduced risk of my PIN being captured by hidden cameras, compromised PDQ machines.
    • seatbeltnoob
    • By seatbeltnoob 11th Mar 18, 1:26 PM
    • 446 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    seatbeltnoob
    I dont get it. I trust the contactless WAY MORE than chip and pin.

A hacked chip and pin can gather all the information to get a clone of your card and use it to withdraw large amounts of cash from ATM machines.

A cloned contactless can only be used to pay for small purchases. A thief will need to manuall go into shops to purchase booze and cigerettes in order to sell on. It will require a lot of mules to do this grunt work and is difficult to organise and do on a large scale. And the bank will detect this behavious and eventually block the payments.

When your card is cloned and a pin is leaked the banks assume that you have leaked your pin and their default position is that it's your fault.

I get extremely paranoid about using my pin number with any account with large balances because of this. I have a mule accouunt with 200ish on it at any given time to pay for things with chip and pin.
    • tastyhog
    • By tastyhog 11th Mar 18, 3:52 PM
    • 397 Posts
    • 677 Thanks
    tastyhog
    The one paying by cash, as I'd be paying my card acquirer a slice of that 21, and there is a chance that the transaction could be charged back for a variety of reasons and even if this was done without justification and could be challenged, it would be a hassle.

Although yes, I do know that cash handling isn't a completely free option either....
    Originally posted by eskbanker
    and this is why shops are pushing contactess so hard.

the shop isn't liable for any chargebacks, that falls on the side of the card issuer / bank, if a customer, even if fraudulent or with a stolen card pays with contactless that is as good as cash in the bank.
    • seatbeltnoob
    • By seatbeltnoob 12th Mar 18, 2:56 PM
    • 446 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    seatbeltnoob
    and this is why shops are pushing contactess so hard.
    Originally posted by tastyhog
    No because contactless is quick. Tap and you're done. Quicker than paying cash in fact.

making payments this quick means the cashier can process queues faster and lose less customers.
    Last edited by seatbeltnoob; 12-03-2018 at 2:58 PM.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 12th Mar 18, 3:47 PM
    • 3,397 Posts
    • 1,611 Thanks
    eDicky
    I've used contactless for years, including abroad before it was rolled out here.

The two advantages to me are:
    1) Speed
    2) Reduced risk of my PIN being captured by hidden cameras, compromised PDQ machines.
    Originally posted by chattychappy
    I see a third advantage when overseas - there's apparently no chance of DCC being offered or imposed.
    • bobblebob
    • By bobblebob 13th Mar 18, 11:30 AM
    • 520 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    bobblebob

Line your wallet in foil if you like or buy an RFID wallet.
    Originally posted by DCFC79

Im sure I read those wallets are a waste of money. In order to skim a contactless card, the person doing it would have to be almost touching your card to read it, so a normal wallet will offer enough protection. Also ontop of that they cant skim your card details off the chip anyway
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 13th Mar 18, 11:37 AM
    • 6,763 Posts
    • 3,658 Thanks
    chattychappy
    Im sure I read those wallets are a waste of money.
    Originally posted by bobblebob
    At least it's a cheap waste of money.

A chap I knew spent 25,000 having a faraday cage professionally installed in his home. This was to stop any "waves" in general, and government mind control waves in particular, from reaching him.

After a few minutes sitting inside, his phone rang. "Guess I was scammed" he told me.
    • bobblebob
    • By bobblebob 13th Mar 18, 11:51 AM
    • 520 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    bobblebob
    In any case, RFID-based contactless payment systems have recently fallen out of favor among U.S. credit card companies. Theyre focusing instead on implementing a European-style chip-and-PIN system known as EMV, which uses different technology and is less vulnerable to remote skimming. (EMV cards may come with their own security risks, but again, an RFID-blocking wallet wont help you with those.)

So yea, seem pointless
    • SainsburysAnonymous
    • By SainsburysAnonymous 16th Mar 18, 8:35 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    SainsburysAnonymous
    Hi Bunglesmate,

Please not this is not advise only information and processes could change.

Sainsbury's Credit Cards have recently introduced contactless onto the system. This means all new cards that are coming to expiration date would be re-issued with contactless (or anyone that phones to get a replacement card prior to expiry, for example)

*This also includes brand new applicants also.

However, we appreciate not everyone wants a contactless card for security reasons or personal reasons so every customer has the availability to maintain Chip & Pin only without the contactless being on their card.

If you have any questions, feel free to let me know!

Kind regards,
    Anonymous
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 16th Mar 18, 9:24 PM
    • 6,763 Posts
    • 3,658 Thanks
    chattychappy
    However, we appreciate not everyone wants a contactless card for security reasons or personal reasons so every customer has the availability to maintain Chip & Pin only without the contactless being on their card.
    Originally posted by SainsburysAnonymous
    If that really is a long term policy, then Sainsbury's would do well to promote this. There is clearly demand in the market for a non-contactless product, whatever others might feel about their worries.

Incidentally if you are in a position to represent Sainsbury, you can ask register with MSE as an official representative.
    • SainsburysAnonymous
    • By SainsburysAnonymous 16th Mar 18, 9:38 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    SainsburysAnonymous
    If that really is a long term policy, then Sainsbury's would do well to promote this. There is clearly demand in the market for a non-contactless product, whatever others might feel about their worries.

Incidentally if you are in a position to represent Sainsbury, you can ask register with MSE as an official representative.
    Originally posted by chattychappy
    Hi Chatty

Personally, I hope they do long-term keep that policy as it's not something every customers wants, or requires.

Unfortunately, I'm not P.R nor am I someone that could represent Sainsburys through the website. I'm just someone that currently knows Credit Cards and looking to provide clarity when required. I'm not able to provide anything else other than information (obviously)

*Edited to be safe!

Kind regards!
    Last edited by SainsburysAnonymous; 16-03-2018 at 9:54 PM.
    • JGUK
    • By JGUK 21st Mar 18, 10:19 PM
    • 146 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    JGUK
    So if you want a card with contactless, can you ring up and request one, or does your card have to be damaged or near expiry?
    Thanks
    JG
    • John Gray
    • By John Gray 29th Mar 18, 5:38 PM
    • 5,188 Posts
    • 2,965 Thanks
    John Gray
    TescoBank have just sent me a contactless MasterCard as a replacement, and their call centre says they now do not provide the ordinary, non-contactless, chip-and-PIN-only card.

I have cut it up and sent it back, and will close down this account unless they can send me an ordinary chip-and-PIN credit card.

I don't mind having a contactless debit card, since this is quite logical, but not a contactless credit card!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,521Posts Today

9,041Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin