Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Benasbo12
    • By Benasbo12 9th Mar 18, 2:17 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Benasbo12
    Knowhow won't pay out for a laptop they can't fix.
    • 9th Mar 18, 2:17 PM
    Knowhow won't pay out for a laptop they can't fix. 9th Mar 18 at 2:17 PM
    So my laptop died again for the 6th time since Christmas. Another motherboard issue. Which would be fine had they not tried to fix it plenty of times before. So I have been looking into getting it written off so I can use that to buy another laptop. But they won't pay out on it.

The crux of the issue is that because I had an HP laptop before my current Lenovo. I asked to have the care plan cancelled for the old HP that we didn't have anymore. They went and cancelled the Lenovo plan instead. I found this out when my laptop broke and I had to pay to have it fixed. They then apologised and said THEY had made a human error and cancelled the wrong plan, and because of this they will amend it to the HP plan that was still running. Now because they cant fix my laptop they have said that We cancelled the policy because they couldn't get money for the policy from us. Totally not the case.

Why would we cancel the new laptop coverage and keep the coverage for a laptop which we don't even have anymore? Makes zero sense.

Anyway, because the cover plan for the HP is different to the Lenovo, they won't pay out because they cant fix it. Even though the policy it should have been on they would have paid out on it.

It went in for a power drain issue originally, but they have changed the motherboard at least 3 times, had a software issue that later turned out to be a motherboard issue and they changed my hard drive and deleted my entire hard drive after me asking them not to because it had a lot of work on it that I couldn't back up.

Im mainly asking about if there is anything else I can do because as you might be able to tell I'm really really annoyed about this whole farce. I already know that if I took a legal option, I would pay more than I would get back but is their much else I can do?
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 9th Mar 18, 2:48 PM
    • 35,623 Posts
    • 19,852 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 9th Mar 18, 2:48 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 2:48 PM
    If you take legal action then you do get all your court fees added to the total claim and paid by the defendant (assuming you were to win!!)

If this is an insurance policy, then the first route is to complain to the insurer, then if unhappy with the reply or they ignore you for 8 weeks you can escalate to the FOS for their adjudication all at nocost to you.

So (if it is an insurance policy) better to try that route first before legal action
    • Benasbo12
    • By Benasbo12 9th Mar 18, 3:09 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Benasbo12
    • 9th Mar 18, 3:09 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 3:09 PM
    Im guessing KnowHow is the 'insurer'. (Its a policy that if the laptop gets damaged they fix it and if they can't then they would of paid out).

Sorry for being nooby, can I ask what FOS is and how I go about escalating with them.

I've been on the phone all morning with KnowHow and have also no submitted a complaint over the issue, but I would like to be prepared for if they dont respond or respond unsatisfactorily.

Thank you for a response.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 9th Mar 18, 3:13 PM
    • 35,623 Posts
    • 19,852 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 9th Mar 18, 3:13 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 3:13 PM
    The policy may not be "insurance" but warranty. Check the wording of the policy - it should set out if it's covered by FOS (financial ombudsman) in the section on their complaints procedure

If it is an insurance policy then they should send you details of how to escalate to FOS along with their reply to your complaint

Failing that google!
    • FlameCloud
    • By FlameCloud 9th Mar 18, 3:19 PM
    • 1,819 Posts
    • 883 Thanks
    FlameCloud
    • 9th Mar 18, 3:19 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 3:19 PM
    I think the know how policy jumps through hoops to be a warranty rather than insurance sadly.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

48Posts Today

3,152Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin