Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mazzybabee
    • By mazzybabee 9th Mar 18, 2:09 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    mazzybabee
    will
    • 9th Mar 18, 2:09 PM
    will 9th Mar 18 at 2:09 PM
    Hi, My great aunt from my step fathers side of the family died in sept 2017. my stepfathers sister has told me i am named in my great aunts will (she is the executer along with my great aunts solicitor) my problem is, when i was born i was named on my birth cirtificate afer my natural father, then my mother and step father got married , my name was never changed by deed poll to my step fathers surname but i was known by his surname at school ect, (i reverded back to using my birth name when leaving school for national insurace purposes ect.. anyway back to the point of my post, my great aunt has put me in her will with my step fathers last name as she must have thaught that my name had been changed by deed poll. so i have no identification what so ever in my step fathers name so how will i prove i am the person named? I am the only person with my first name in the family but will that be enough?, i dont speak with my step father anymore and havent done in years , will my aunts (his sister) word be enugh that i am the intended person?. i have had no correspondance with the solicitor as yet and she hasnt told me or my step brothers and sister what soilicitor is dealing with the case so i cant even ask him.
    any advice would be greatfully recieved. TIA .
Page 1
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 9th Mar 18, 4:26 PM
    • 4,112 Posts
    • 3,370 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    • 9th Mar 18, 4:26 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 4:26 PM
    Hi, My great aunt from my step fathers side of the family died in sept 2017. my stepfathers sister has told me i am named in my great aunts will (she is the executer along with my great aunts solicitor) my problem is, when i was born i was named on my birth cirtificate afer my natural father, then my mother and step father got married , my name was never changed by deed poll to my step fathers surname but i was known by his surname at school ect, (i reverded back to using my birth name when leaving school for national insurace purposes ect.. anyway back to the point of my post, my great aunt has put me in her will with my step fathers last name as she must have thaught that my name had been changed by deed poll. so i have no identification what so ever in my step fathers name so how will i prove i am the person named? I am the only person with my first name in the family but will that be enough?, i dont speak with my step father anymore and havent done in years , will my aunts (his sister) word be enugh that i am the intended person?. i have had no correspondance with the solicitor as yet and she hasnt told me or my step brothers and sister what soilicitor is dealing with the case so i cant even ask him.
    any advice would be greatfully recieved. TIA .
    Originally posted by mazzybabee
    The executor who is a solictor should be able to sort it out. He will just need to be satisfied of your actual identity. Your stepfather's sister needs to advise the solicitor as soon as possible so there is no delay in resolving matters.
    • mazzybabee
    • By mazzybabee 9th Mar 18, 8:26 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mazzybabee
    • 9th Mar 18, 8:26 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 8:26 PM
    hi thanks for your reply, she said she has told him , i was just worried that it may not be enough to just go on her say so and i am hoping i dont have to end up fighting my case through the courts (which i cant afford) but it would help i suppose if she would disclose to us the solicitors details so that i could perhaps try to clear things up myself , i havent herd a thing from the solicitor at all, neither have my siblings. i know my great aunts house has now been emptied and is going up for sale. is it normal do you think for us not to have any corespondace from him as yet?
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 9th Mar 18, 10:07 PM
    • 9,365 Posts
    • 10,320 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 9th Mar 18, 10:07 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 10:07 PM
    As long as the other beneficiaries are happy to give you the money they can create a deed of variation (very simple) and pay you anyway even if the solicitor isn't convinced by the identity which sounds unlikely.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 9th Mar 18, 11:28 PM
    • 7,688 Posts
    • 22,182 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    • 9th Mar 18, 11:28 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 11:28 PM
    It's the executors problem, not yours, and it sounds like your aunt has her hand firmly on the tiller.

I'm sorry for your loss, but I don't think you'll loose twice over.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,985Posts Today

7,180Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin