Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CottonTail1322
    • By CottonTail1322 9th Mar 18, 1:30 PM
    • 17Posts
    • 0Thanks
    CottonTail1322
    Prove it letter responses. What now?
    • 9th Mar 18, 1:30 PM
    Prove it letter responses. What now? 9th Mar 18 at 1:30 PM
    Hi everyone, I’m really hoping someone here can help with this as I’m totally confused. I’ve searched online but can’t find anything that completely answers my questions.

On the advice of the wonderful people here, I sent some ‘prove it’ letters to a DCA regarding some debts I don’t recognise (I have a lot of debt, but I genuinely don’t recognise theses ones). One agency has replied with a copy of a CCA, I know they’re supposed to be ‘clearly legible’ but what constitutes as clearly legible? It’s very blurry, I have fairly good eyesight and can make out a fair amount of it, but not all. They write that they hope this clears the matter up and they look forward to my regular payments. I still can’t remember ever opening this account and I’m just not sure if this cca is clear enough.

The second they replied to is a mobile phone contract. I have zero recollection of ever opening the account - I’ve only ever had one contract with one company my whole life. The ‘proof’ they’ve sent is 4 sheets of paper with listed amounts - a column of dates, a column of balance and a column of payments made by ‘personal credit card’. There’s no details on there at all other than this. Is this proof enough?

It’s totally baffling me and I don’t know what to do next. I’d be exceptionally grateful for any advice. Many thanks!

Ps. I also received a reply to a cca request to say that as a ‘gesture of goodwill’ and ‘strictly without any admission’ they have written off £3,435.43! Which is wonderful news, so again, thank you so much for all the advice!!
Page 1
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 9th Mar 18, 3:09 PM
    • 13,976 Posts
    • 13,250 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 9th Mar 18, 3:09 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 3:09 PM
    A credit agreement must be legible, you must be able to read it clearly. If you cant, then it does not comply with the act.

Its a legal document so you must be able to read what you allegedly signed.

Mobile accounts do not have an agreement, so usually copies of bills are sufficient.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • CottonTail1322
    • By CottonTail1322 9th Mar 18, 3:57 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    CottonTail1322
    • 9th Mar 18, 3:57 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 3:57 PM
    Thank you, I just wasn!!!8217;t sure where the line was between legible and not. I mean I can figure out the gist of what is says but it!!!8217;s difficult and there are some words I can!!!8217;t make out at all.

Re the phone contract, it!!!8217;s not s copy of a bill, it!!!8217;s literally just a sheet of typed up numbers. There!!!8217;s no details at all (no name, address, account or phone number and no details of where payments were made from). I!!!8217;m so certain I have never had another contract, ive had this one and this number for over 16 years :/
    • CottonTail1322
    • By CottonTail1322 9th Mar 18, 4:02 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    CottonTail1322
    • 9th Mar 18, 4:02 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 4:02 PM
    I!!!8217;m not sure what!!!8217;s going on with my apostrophes there sorry!
  • National Debtline
    • 9th Mar 18, 4:18 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 4:18 PM
    Hi there

It's usually worth seeking face to face advice when you have a copy of a credit agreement and you are unsure if it complies with the requirements of the CCA. You could contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau to see if they can help.

With regards to the mobile phone debt, if the information sent has no identifying information I think you have an argument to say they have failed to show it is your debt. You can raise a complaint with the company and argue what they have provided is not adequate.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,083Posts Today

5,801Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin