Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • darrell77
    • By darrell77 9th Mar 18, 1:12 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    darrell77
    Tesco cash advance
    • 9th Mar 18, 1:12 PM
    Tesco cash advance 9th Mar 18 at 1:12 PM
    Hello,
    Need help - or at least to know what other people have done in this situation.
    I received a 0% money transfer offer letter in January for my Tesco c/card which had a very low balance at the time.
    I decided I would take them up on it and put the cash against my b/card where the balance transfer offer was coming to an end.
    I logged in and started the process but noted that when making the money transfer it does not confirm what the % is.
    I called the helpline to query it and was told "if you have had a letter then the rate will be automatically applied". I carried on with the money transfer and thought no more of it.
    I checked my statement yesterday and interest has been applied to the money transfer.
    I called the helpline and was told that no call logs and no record of the offer letter exists so I must be mistaken. I obviously dispute this and a complaint request has been made.
    Whilst waiting for them to call me back to go through the complaints procedure I wonder if anyone has any thoughts/suggestions on what I can do?
    I will have a record of the call I made from my phone supplier but I didn't keep the offer letter (does anyone?!)
    Thanks for any suggestions, Darrell
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 9th Mar 18, 1:15 PM
    • 16,834 Posts
    • 17,840 Thanks
    zx81
    • 9th Mar 18, 1:15 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 1:15 PM
    It sounds as if you may have done a balance transfer, rather than a money transfer.

Did you transfer the money to a current account, or BT it to your Barclaycard?
    • darrell77
    • By darrell77 9th Mar 18, 1:21 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    darrell77
    • 9th Mar 18, 1:21 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 1:21 PM
    No - transferred the money to my account, which I then sent to b/card in the normal method.

I wondered if that might have been it but not the case.

Of more concern is their insistence that no letters were sent at all...
    • zx81
    • By zx81 9th Mar 18, 1:23 PM
    • 16,834 Posts
    • 17,840 Thanks
    zx81
    • 9th Mar 18, 1:23 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 1:23 PM
    If you were sent a letter, they should ultimately be able to trace it.

It's not unknown for the marketing department not to have properly briefed customer services of a promo, or have not set it up correctly.

See what they come back with.
    • darrell77
    • By darrell77 9th Mar 18, 1:26 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    darrell77
    • 9th Mar 18, 1:26 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 1:26 PM
    Thanks for the replies. I wondered that too after the customer service lady yesterday said "I have no records of any letters but I will check with 'commercial' who are the department who send the letters and come back to you".
    This morning she called me back to say "have checked with commercial who confirm no correspondence from them in the last 6 months"
    • zx81
    • By zx81 9th Mar 18, 1:29 PM
    • 16,834 Posts
    • 17,840 Thanks
    zx81
    • 9th Mar 18, 1:29 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 1:29 PM
    I would escalate a complaint. If still no joy, you could go to FOS.

But you may be left in a position where they deny sending a letter and you can't prove it, which is unlikely to leave you with a successful outcome.

It's worth asking though - was it definitely Tesco and was it definitely for money transfers?
    • darrell77
    • By darrell77 9th Mar 18, 1:31 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    darrell77
    • 9th Mar 18, 1:31 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 1:31 PM
    Yes and yes. And it was them I called even though they deny any record of any phone calls too!
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 9th Mar 18, 2:01 PM
    • 3,582 Posts
    • 924 Thanks
    Anthorn
    • 9th Mar 18, 2:01 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 2:01 PM
    Firstly, did you complete the money transfer within the deadline? It's typical that such offers are time limited and even time limited for a brand new card. For example my Tesco card had 0% for 24 months but only for money transfers and balance transfers applied in the first 90 days.

If you have the letter you received, it's a legal document and can be used as a stick to beat them with. Photocopy it and escalate the complaint enclosing the copy of the letter. If they still deny it send your complaint to the financial ombudsman service.

If you don't have the letter then it's your word against their's and unfortunately complaining is doomed to failure. In that case put it down to experience and in future keep letters safely filed away.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

802Posts Today

7,281Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin