Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sareteegee
    • By Sareteegee 9th Mar 18, 1:01 PM
    • 17Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Sareteegee
    Removing a default from my Credit file
    • 9th Mar 18, 1:01 PM
    Removing a default from my Credit file 9th Mar 18 at 1:01 PM
    Hello,

I opened a store card in 2010, made a few purchases on it but paid it off.
    I then misplaced the card and moved house and never thought to close the account.

I have now been slapped with a default because interest has been added each month due to there still being 66p outstanding.

My issue is that the card only shows as defaulted in February 2018, nothing has been flagged up before this to say anything owes on the card. On my credit file the card has a clear history up until this point.

Would I be able to get this default removed?

Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 9th Mar 18, 1:03 PM
    • 17,262 Posts
    • 18,357 Thanks
    zx81
    • 9th Mar 18, 1:03 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 1:03 PM
    You can ask it to be moved back to a more appropriate date. Normally within 6 months of when you defaulted.
  • National Debtline
    • 9th Mar 18, 5:15 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 5:15 PM
    Hi Sareteegee

As zx81 says, you can try and get the default backdated. The guidance states a default should normally be recorded when you are in between 3 to 6 months of arrears. If you can't get the company to agree, consider making a complaint to the Information Commissioner's Office (IC) www.ico.org.uk.

If you haven't already paid the debt I'd also consider asking for it to be written off as a goodwill gesture. They might not agree but it is worth a go. It's certainly unfortunate that you have got further into debt for such a small outstanding balance.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
    • Sareteegee
    • By Sareteegee 12th Mar 18, 9:21 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sareteegee
    • 12th Mar 18, 9:21 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 9:21 AM
    Thank you for your replies. What I don't understand is why after all this time the account has defaulted now. When apparently the interest has been added on for years.

Thanks
  • National Debtline
    • 12th Mar 18, 1:40 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 1:40 PM
    Hi again Sareteegee

It might be that a new company has bought the debt, but even when that happens they should use the same date to default the debt as the original creditor. Either way you can lodge a complaint.

Apologies for the oversight previously, but it looks like the debt could also be statute barred. If there has been 6 years where no payments have been made, you have not acknowledged the debt in writing and no CCJ has been obtained, they will be out of time to recover the debts through the court.

If you are chased for payment and you believe the debt is statute barred there is a sample letter you can send them.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

816Posts Today

6,417Users online

Martin's Twitter