Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mark300zx
    • By Mark300zx 9th Mar 18, 12:25 PM
    • 148Posts
    • 32Thanks
    Mark300zx
    Being charged for my own suit, Usher at Wedding??
    • 9th Mar 18, 12:25 PM
    Being charged for my own suit, Usher at Wedding?? 9th Mar 18 at 12:25 PM
    Please move if in the wrong forum?

Scenario is as above, asked to be an Usher at a Wedding, told to go and measure up for a hire suit. Then receive a text from the groom with three weeks to go, can I have 120 for the suit hire please?

Any other weddings I have been to and helped have included any joint suit hire at their expense, just to clarify the groom is a multi millionaire, if they were on the bones of their backside I wouldn't have a problem!
    Last edited by Mark300zx; 09-03-2018 at 12:42 PM.
Page 2
    • tommix
    • By tommix 10th Mar 18, 11:06 AM
    • 36,481 Posts
    • 145,171 Thanks
    tommix
    When I got married I paid for everybody's clothes..It made for a very happy and emotional day..Even the cake was in tiers.
    • Trina90
    • By Trina90 10th Mar 18, 11:07 AM
    • 143 Posts
    • 179 Thanks
    Trina90
    We did ask our Ushers and Bridesmaids to pay for their own. I've paid for my own dress twice before as a Bridesmaid and never thought it was cheeky of the Bride and Groom. The way I see it is 100 contribution from each person, or the Bride and Groom having to pay a huge amount (600 if they have 3 groomsmen, 3 bridesmaids!). Alright, it is their wedding, but it seems to be forgotten that they are paying out 50-100 just to feed you, and possibly your other half, another 20+ on your thank you gift, probably paying for some of your drinks as well.
    So even with your small contribution, they will be shelling out on you more (rightfully so of course).

Just the way I see it anyway!
    Mortgage started 2015: 150,000
    2016: 130,000
    Currently: 116,000
    • marcus ohreallius
    • By marcus ohreallius 10th Mar 18, 12:08 PM
    • 257 Posts
    • 528 Thanks
    marcus ohreallius
    And Marley's not likely to wear his suit "again and again", the next outing for the suit could well be his eventual funeral
    Originally posted by Tigsteroonie

Gotta have a suit in the cupboard, IMO. Job interviews, other people's weddings.. funerals posh night out somewhere.. You never know when you might need to look smart, at quite short notice.
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 10th Mar 18, 3:37 PM
    • 3,299 Posts
    • 3,515 Thanks
    cjdavies
    We did ask our Ushers and Bridesmaids to pay for their own. I've paid for my own dress twice before as a Bridesmaid and never thought it was cheeky of the Bride and Groom. The way I see it is 100 contribution from each person, or the Bride and Groom having to pay a huge amount (600 if they have 3 groomsmen, 3 bridesmaids!). Alright, it is their wedding, but it seems to be forgotten that they are paying out 50-100 just to feed you, and possibly your other half, another 20+ on your thank you gift, probably paying for some of your drinks as well.
    So even with your small contribution, they will be shelling out on you more (rightfully so of course).

Just the way I see it anyway!
    Originally posted by Trina90
    Even then it's your choice to have that type wedding. Registry office, 2 witnesses, job done.
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 10th Mar 18, 3:43 PM
    • 22,719 Posts
    • 57,011 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    Cousin on Marley's side is getting married, I think they have planned half-a-dozen bridesmaids and as many male supporters/ushers. I haven't asked whose paying for what, I just shuddered at the thought of the cost - we've been on MSE too long!
    Mrs Marleyboy

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
    • Dreamnine
    • By Dreamnine 10th Mar 18, 8:08 PM
    • 7,921 Posts
    • 13,405 Thanks
    Dreamnine
    I wouldn't go.
    I shot a vein in my neck and coughed up a Quaalude.
    Lou Reed The Last Shot
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 10th Mar 18, 8:10 PM
    • 6,955 Posts
    • 5,720 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    Charge them 120 for being an usher.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • marcus ohreallius
    • By marcus ohreallius 10th Mar 18, 8:40 PM
    • 257 Posts
    • 528 Thanks
    marcus ohreallius
    I really don't get the matching bridesmaids thing. Why is it important? Do people usually buy them or rent them? Buying them seems like a huge waste of money.
    Originally posted by Penitent
    My sister-in-law bought her bridesmaid dresses from Monsoon, about 100 each! And got annoyed when they wanted to put a cardigan on over them The wedding was in November and it was bluddy brass monkeys outside.
    • ska lover
    • By ska lover 11th Mar 18, 11:49 AM
    • 2,728 Posts
    • 6,642 Thanks
    ska lover
    I would text back and him to shove it, to be honest.

The blokes a millionaire so it makes it worse than usual....
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 11th Mar 18, 12:37 PM
    • 12,302 Posts
    • 16,567 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    Charge them 120 for being an usher.
    Originally posted by Norman Castle
    I agree - I'd also charge them a fee for not reporting them to the tax man

I would text back and him to shove it, to be honest.

The blokes a millionaire so it makes it worse than usual....
    Originally posted by ska lover
    I'd be making an anonymous call to HMRC to report the groom on suspicions of tax evasion...
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?

I live in the UK City of Culture 2021

I had to put mothballs in my wallet - the moths had learned the PINs to my cards...
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 11th Mar 18, 1:17 PM
    • 8,049 Posts
    • 8,895 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    I'd be making an anonymous call to HMRC to report the groom on suspicions of tax evasion...
    Originally posted by MothballsWallet
    The customs hotline is even more fun if they're coming back from an exotic honeymoon.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 11th Mar 18, 1:36 PM
    • 12,302 Posts
    • 16,567 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    The customs hotline is even more fun if they're coming back from an exotic honeymoon.
    Originally posted by Owain Moneysaver
    It'd be really funny if the bride's only marrying the groom because of his bank balance

I had to put mothballs in my wallet - the moths had learned the PINs to my cards...
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 11th Mar 18, 4:20 PM
    • 8,562 Posts
    • 14,001 Thanks
    Sleazy
    It'd be really funny if the bride's only marrying the groom because of his bank balance
    Originally posted by MothballsWallet

Maybe he's not too hot at maths and has added a couple of extra zero's by mistake ....
    Sleazy
    In Vino Veritas, In Aqua Sanitas
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 11th Mar 18, 4:28 PM
    • 12,302 Posts
    • 16,567 Thanks
    MothballsWallet

Maybe he's not too hot at maths and has added a couple of extra zero's by mistake ....
    Originally posted by Sleazy
    To his bank balance or something else?

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5Posts Today

3,976Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin