Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mark300zx
    • By Mark300zx 9th Mar 18, 12:25 PM
    • 148Posts
    • 32Thanks
    Mark300zx
    Being charged for my own suit, Usher at Wedding??
    • 9th Mar 18, 12:25 PM
    Being charged for my own suit, Usher at Wedding?? 9th Mar 18 at 12:25 PM
    Please move if in the wrong forum?

Scenario is as above, asked to be an Usher at a Wedding, told to go and measure up for a hire suit. Then receive a text from the groom with three weeks to go, can I have 120 for the suit hire please?

Any other weddings I have been to and helped have included any joint suit hire at their expense, just to clarify the groom is a multi millionaire, if they were on the bones of their backside I wouldn't have a problem!
    Last edited by Mark300zx; 09-03-2018 at 12:42 PM.
Page 1
    • Katapolt
    • By Katapolt 9th Mar 18, 12:43 PM
    • 191 Posts
    • 261 Thanks
    Katapolt
    • 9th Mar 18, 12:43 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 12:43 PM
    i've been a maid of honour twice and both times had to pay for my own dress (that they picked out) and shoes.

seems common now to shaft friends and family when you decide to tie the knot.
    FTB 2017
    Currently dealing with a Quarter Life Crisis
    • globetraveller
    • By globetraveller 9th Mar 18, 12:48 PM
    • 2,085 Posts
    • 11,904 Thanks
    globetraveller
    • 9th Mar 18, 12:48 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 12:48 PM
    Tell them if you are paying you have trousers and a jacket at home you can wear. An usher doesn't have to have matching suits with anyone else.
    weight loss target 23lbs/49lb
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 9th Mar 18, 12:54 PM
    • 2,464 Posts
    • 7,341 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    • 9th Mar 18, 12:54 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 12:54 PM
    I know what I'd tell them!

In any case I've had it with things like weddings.
    I'll buy them a present, and I really do wish people well.
    I don't want to go to the wedding though, let alone have some official function there.

Same with funerals.
    "Luck happens where hard work meets opportunity"
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 9th Mar 18, 12:59 PM
    • 23,921 Posts
    • 62,333 Thanks
    pollypenny
    • 9th Mar 18, 12:59 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 12:59 PM
    If the groom wants something special he should pay for it. An ordinary lounge suits that you would be able to wear again is a different matter.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 9th Mar 18, 1:19 PM
    • 13,971 Posts
    • 26,739 Thanks
    onlyroz
    • 9th Mar 18, 1:19 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 1:19 PM
    I would politely inform him that, after careful consideration, you have decided that being an usher is not your thing after all. And then get him a nice set of towels from IKEA as a wedding present.
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 9th Mar 18, 1:28 PM
    • 8,515 Posts
    • 13,862 Thanks
    Sleazy
    • 9th Mar 18, 1:28 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 1:28 PM
    Have I got this right?

His wedding
    Asks you to help
    Chooses your clothes
    Wants you to pay

Is the wedding on April 1st?
    Sleazy
    In Vino Veritas, In Aqua Sanitas
    • tommix
    • By tommix 9th Mar 18, 1:39 PM
    • 36,462 Posts
    • 145,140 Thanks
    tommix
    • 9th Mar 18, 1:39 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 1:39 PM
    When I was 'best man' at my brothers wedding, he had no problem forking out for a top of the range shell suit from 'Sports Direct', have to say I looked the dogs in it.

Personally, I think this groom of yours should marry a horse. Tight fisted git!
    Last edited by tommix; 09-03-2018 at 1:43 PM.
    • Judi
    • By Judi 9th Mar 18, 2:04 PM
    • 16,095 Posts
    • 69,909 Thanks
    Judi
    • 9th Mar 18, 2:04 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 2:04 PM
    Hubby paid for his suit when he gave our daughter away... it was worth it.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 9th Mar 18, 2:21 PM
    • 8,476 Posts
    • 8,790 Thanks
    pogofish
    Maybe MSE needs to open a Weddings and Special Occasions Forum where such pertinent maters as dressing your entourage and having them stump-up for it can be discussed at in great detail and at length...?
    • marcus ohreallius
    • By marcus ohreallius 9th Mar 18, 2:29 PM
    • 257 Posts
    • 528 Thanks
    marcus ohreallius

Scenario is as above, asked to be an Usher at a Wedding, told to go and measure up for a hire suit. Then receive a text from the groom with three weeks to go, can I have 120 for the suit hire please?

Any other weddings I have been to and helped have included any joint suit hire at their expense, just to clarify the groom is a multi millionaire, if they were on the bones of their backside I wouldn't have a problem!
    Originally posted by Mark300zx
    Cheeky s0ds! Well at least now you know how he became a millionaire

Don't think I'd pay anyone 120 for something I'm going to wear for one day. Presume you'd also have to pay the dry cleaning costs too.
    • Judi
    • By Judi 9th Mar 18, 2:56 PM
    • 16,095 Posts
    • 69,909 Thanks
    Judi
    Cheeky s0ds! Well at least now you know how he became a millionaire

Don't think I'd pay anyone 120 for something I'm going to wear for one day. Presume you'd also have to pay the dry cleaning costs too.
    Originally posted by marcus ohreallius
    120! What a rip off Hubby paid 75.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • Gavin83
    • By Gavin83 9th Mar 18, 3:41 PM
    • 5,117 Posts
    • 8,320 Thanks
    Gavin83
    In your position I'd be refusing and suggesting I'd wear my own suit. If they want you in a specific outfit they can pay for it. If it gets too awkward to say on reflection you'd rather not be an usher.

If someone can't afford to hire clothes they want for their wedding party then they should be scaling back their wedding. In this case, given his wealth there really is no excuse.
    • Timpu
    • By Timpu 9th Mar 18, 3:44 PM
    • 266 Posts
    • 312 Thanks
    Timpu
    Three weeks notice, really??! This should have been made clear at the outset. Their wedding, they can find the moolah. Millionaire schmillionaire, people with far less don't take advantage of their friends, ours certainly didn't and neither did we.

PS. I wouldn't be coughing up.
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 9th Mar 18, 6:12 PM
    • 27,806 Posts
    • 15,063 Thanks
    donnajunkie

Originally posted by Mark300zx
    Tell them to get stuffed.
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 9th Mar 18, 6:29 PM
    • 22,711 Posts
    • 56,999 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    As others have said - if it's their choice of suit and a hire so you don't even get to keep it, they can pay. If you are being asked to purchase a suit that you would wear in future, then you might be more inclined to pay.

Incidentally re the cost, if Marley pays over 100 for his suit for our wedding, he's toast.
    Mrs Marleyboy

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
    • marcus ohreallius
    • By marcus ohreallius 10th Mar 18, 10:00 AM
    • 257 Posts
    • 528 Thanks
    marcus ohreallius
    Incidentally re the cost, if Marley pays over 100 for his suit for our wedding, he's toast.
    Originally posted by Tigsteroonie
    I'd say it depends if he's going to wear it again and again. A good quality well-tailored suit looks great, much better than some off the peg jobbie from Primark.
    • tessiesmummy
    • By tessiesmummy 10th Mar 18, 10:10 AM
    • 146 Posts
    • 126 Thanks
    tessiesmummy
    im bridesmaid in august for my best friend. she is skint and working hard to pay for the wedding. we went bridesmaid dress shopping and she wouldnt let me pay for my own so i looked and looked and found 3 beautiful dresses in the clearance section 21 each!!

Thats what friends do. we look out for each other. If he knows u cant afford it and asking you to pay then he isnt your friend. Id just say you cant make the wedding now.
    forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5789716 Debt Free Wannabe
    • Gavin83
    • By Gavin83 10th Mar 18, 10:51 AM
    • 5,117 Posts
    • 8,320 Thanks
    Gavin83
    Originally posted by Tigsteroonie
    I'm curious, how much are you spending on your dress?
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 10th Mar 18, 10:54 AM
    • 22,711 Posts
    • 56,999 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    I'm curious, how much are you spending on your dress?
    Originally posted by Gavin83
    I spent 64 on the dress*. I may spend another 14 on accessories.

*When I say on the dress, I mean on two dresses and a net underskirt. Two dresses because I liked both colours, and one is a size smaller than the other, so it depends how the diet goes.

And Marley's not likely to wear his suit "again and again", the next outing for the suit could well be his eventual funeral
    Last edited by Tigsteroonie; 10-03-2018 at 10:58 AM.
    Mrs Marleyboy

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,331Posts Today

5,556Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin