Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Welshguy40
    • By Welshguy40 9th Mar 18, 12:11 PM
    • 9Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Welshguy40
    Bright House credit agreeement
    • 9th Mar 18, 12:11 PM
    Bright House credit agreeement 9th Mar 18 at 12:11 PM
    I apologise if I have posted this in the wrong forum but would appreciate any advice.

I stupidly took out a credit agreement in July 2016 from Brighthouse. When I took the agreement out I was being paid a number of benefits.

When I took the agreement out the member of staff that dealt with me took me through my income and expendure. I provided the company with proof of my benefits,

One of the benefits I was paid was due to end after 12 months of undertaking this agreement. I was under the impression this would continue but I had to reapply. The documentation clearly stated this and would decrease my monthly income by 320.

Although I have managed to be awarded that particular benefit it has been awarded at the lower rate and therefore my income is significantly less. Luckily my family have supported me to ensure I don!!!8217;t;t miss a payment.

At the beginning of February I received a call from a third party stating I had been mid sold the credit by Brighthouse.

When I phoned Brighthouse to find out if the procedure they had followed was correct I was advised I would need to raise this as a complaint for them to investigate. I was advised that a complaints handler would call me back. Despite me calling them several times I have not received a call back.

I suffer with significant mental health issues and therefore struggle with my finances.

I am sorry my post was so long but I am after some advice whether Brighthouse should have provided with credit as it was very clear that my income would drop significantly whilst in the agreement.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I have edited my original post as I have received a couple of comments which I don!!!8217;t feel were necessary,
    Last edited by Welshguy40; 09-03-2018 at 11:52 PM.
Page 3
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 10th Mar 18, 10:28 PM
    • 12,257 Posts
    • 9,286 Thanks
    fatbelly
    I had little knowledge of Brighthouse before a store opened in one of the towns where I work. Within a few weeks I was seeing clients who had signed ridiculous credit agreements. I clearly remember a 1000 vacuum cleaner agreement.

More recently the FCA have taken a hard line with them and there is useful information here

https://debtcamel.co.uk/brighthouse-refund/

and a template letter here

https://debtcamel.co.uk/brighthouse-refund-complain/
    • SnowTiger
    • By SnowTiger 10th Mar 18, 11:46 PM
    • 3,272 Posts
    • 2,239 Thanks
    SnowTiger
    I had little knowledge of Brighthouse before a store opened in one of the towns where I work. Within a few weeks I was seeing clients who had signed ridiculous credit agreements. I clearly remember a 1000 vacuum cleaner agreement.
    Originally posted by fatbelly
    Dyson DC75

From about 290 - 520 online.

1,123.20 on a two year BrightHouse payment plan.

Their Trustpilot reviews are generally quite good. This one star oxymoron is my favourite:

Never miss a payment and because I forgot to make a payment they send someone to my door, how embarrassing.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 11th Mar 18, 2:35 AM
    • 2,870 Posts
    • 2,077 Thanks
    Tarambor
    As has been said already if the benefits are either ESA or PIP they don't run out
    Originally posted by venison
    PIP like DLA absolutely can run out. You get awarded it for a set period of time (DLA however did used to have a lifetime award which PIP doesn't) and to continue to claim you have to go for an assessment and reapply. My son is autistic and has recently been moved onto PIP and has been awarded it for 5 years.
    • nic_c
    • By nic_c 11th Mar 18, 11:09 AM
    • 1,464 Posts
    • 802 Thanks
    nic_c
    Hi. Not that keen of some of the replies I have read. But I don't want to start something. I am a new person and already have been called a rude troll. But moving on, can I suggest anyone looking to buy items look instead at https://www.fairforyou.co.uk/

I only came across them as I wrote a review on Truspilot about Littlewoods.com and someone before me had written one about Littlewoods as this FAIR FOR YOU. Hope this is okay and sorry I cannot help much more to original questions.
    Originally posted by Robbydabanca
    They seem to have mainly Whirlpool as their supplier, so a limited choice, and if you are comparing to BH, have you checked their interest?
    We charge 3% a month of interest representative 42.6% APR on the products that you buy from us.
    Which is better than Brighthouses "(Representative APR 69.9% Fixed)." especially as we all know representative APR means not everyone will get it and many will pay a lot higher!!
    Last edited by nic_c; 11-03-2018 at 11:22 AM.
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 11th Mar 18, 11:49 AM
    • 10,251 Posts
    • 55,149 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    and if you are comparing to BH, have you checked their interest?

Which is better than Brighthouses
    Originally posted by nic_c
    Quite a bit better.

I've compared 6Kg washing machines at both BH and FFY.

BH - Product Price = 180.50 - Weekly Payments (over 156 weeks) = 3-00 - Total Payable = 468.00

FFY - Product Price = 227.99 - Weekly Payments (over 52 weeks - maximum allowed) = 5.23 - Total Payable = 272.14

That's quite a difference!

Brighthouse are also a little misleading, where they compare the cost of buying from them, to borrowing the money from Provident.

They quote the figures for borrowing 200 from Provident, but you can get a Beko 6Kg washing machine from Very, for 170, not 200.
    My job is Top Secret. Even I don't know what I'm doing.

Amount I have so far denied the BBC - 1308

Who are you to question why your god doesn't want me to believe in him?
    • macman
    • By macman 11th Mar 18, 1:22 PM
    • 41,894 Posts
    • 17,379 Thanks
    macman
    How could 'a third party' 1) know that you had a credit arrangement with Brighthouse, and 2) know that you were mis-sold it, when you didn't know yourself? Who is this mysterious third party? If you use any kind of claims handling company, they will probably take up to 40% of any compo you might win. But in this case, it sounds as though, after a brief discussion with you, they decided that your case had no merit, so did not come back to you.
    In all your posts, you have not once said what actual resolution you are seeking from Brighthouse, should you eventually decide to make a complaint?
    Last edited by macman; 11-03-2018 at 1:25 PM.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 11th Mar 18, 1:29 PM
    • 12,307 Posts
    • 16,572 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    If that was your assumption, why would you expect Brighthouse to know any different?

Are you able to sell the item(s) purchased to pay towards your debt?
    Originally posted by BorisThomson
    Don't items bought from places like Brighthouse belong to them until the agreement is paid in full?
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?

I live in the UK City of Culture 2021

I had to put mothballs in my wallet - the moths had learned the PINs to my cards...
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 11th Mar 18, 1:41 PM
    • 14,056 Posts
    • 13,312 Thanks
    sourcrates
    How could 'a third party' 1) know that you had a credit arrangement with Brighthouse, and 2) know that you were mis-sold it, when you didn't know yourself? Who is this mysterious third party? If you use any kind of claims handling company, they will probably take up to 40% of any compo you might win.
    Originally posted by macman
    Probebley as you suspect, a cold call from an ambulance chaser.

I get them all the time, Hello mr sourcrates, i understand you've had an accident......err no pal i haven't.

Information is big business, take out one loan, within an hour, you've had texts, emails, calls from 20 other lenders, they may of bought the info from Brighthouse, or one of their associate companies, they get the details from somewhere, usually after you forget to tick the little box about information sharing.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • nic_c
    • By nic_c 11th Mar 18, 1:45 PM
    • 1,464 Posts
    • 802 Thanks
    nic_c
    Quite a bit better.

I've compared 6Kg washing machines at both BH and FFY.

BH - Product Price = 180.50 - Weekly Payments (over 156 weeks) = 3-00 - Total Payable = 468.00

FFY - Product Price = 227.99 - Weekly Payments (over 52 weeks - maximum allowed) = 5.23 - Total Payable = 272.14

That's quite a difference!

Brighthouse are also a little misleading, where they compare the cost of buying from them, to borrowing the money from Provident.

They quote the figures for borrowing 200 from Provident, but you can get a Beko 6Kg washing machine from Very, for 170, not 200.
    Originally posted by Bedsit Bob
    Though you are comparing a 3 year loan with a 1 year one, so not really a good comparison - especially considering the APR's involved
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 11th Mar 18, 3:31 PM
    • 10,251 Posts
    • 55,149 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    Though you are comparing a 3 year loan with a 1 year one, so not really a good comparison - especially considering the APR's involved
    Originally posted by nic_c
    Either way, 5-23 a week for 52 weeks, is a lot cheaper than 3 a week for 156 weeks.

• molerat
    • By molerat 11th Mar 18, 5:30 PM
    • 18,606 Posts
    • 12,753 Thanks
    molerat
    Either way, 5-23 a week for 52 weeks, is a lot cheaper than 3 a week for 156 weeks.
    But .... but ...... but it's 2.23 a week dearer
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 11th Mar 18, 5:48 PM
    • 10,251 Posts
    • 55,149 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    But .... but ...... but it's 2.23 a week dearer
    Originally posted by molerat
    Anyone who is that desperate, really shouldn't be taking on any further financial commitments.

• nic_c
    • By nic_c 11th Mar 18, 7:02 PM
    • 1,464 Posts
    • 802 Thanks
    nic_c
    I don't think you get what I mean.
    A 200 loan at 50% APR would mean
    4.91 per week over 52 weeks (total paid 255)
    2.48 per week over 156 weeks (total paid 387)

So the longer deal is much more expensive, and so the comparison isn't really much use for two companies. You need to do similar loan lengths.

I suppose the thing here is BH lets long loans out to maximise interest.
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 11th Mar 18, 7:36 PM
    • 2,749 Posts
    • 3,938 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    nic - I think Bob was saying that, sadly, there are people out there who simply don't have the financial nous to see that lower weekly payments don't necessarily mean cheaper.

My late parents, bless them, would be included in this group. Despite my best efforts, I swear that if toilet rolls were 2 for 10 rolls or 1 for one roll then my mum would buy one roll and reckon that she had saved a 1.
    Last edited by Silvertabby; 11-03-2018 at 9:23 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,354Posts Today

6,194Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin