Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Welshguy40
    • By Welshguy40 9th Mar 18, 12:11 PM
    • 9Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Welshguy40
    Bright House credit agreeement
    • 9th Mar 18, 12:11 PM
    Bright House credit agreeement 9th Mar 18 at 12:11 PM
    I apologise if I have posted this in the wrong forum but would appreciate any advice.

I stupidly took out a credit agreement in July 2016 from Brighthouse. When I took the agreement out I was being paid a number of benefits.

When I took the agreement out the member of staff that dealt with me took me through my income and expendure. I provided the company with proof of my benefits,

One of the benefits I was paid was due to end after 12 months of undertaking this agreement. I was under the impression this would continue but I had to reapply. The documentation clearly stated this and would decrease my monthly income by 320.

Although I have managed to be awarded that particular benefit it has been awarded at the lower rate and therefore my income is significantly less. Luckily my family have supported me to ensure I don!!!8217;t;t miss a payment.

At the beginning of February I received a call from a third party stating I had been mid sold the credit by Brighthouse.

When I phoned Brighthouse to find out if the procedure they had followed was correct I was advised I would need to raise this as a complaint for them to investigate. I was advised that a complaints handler would call me back. Despite me calling them several times I have not received a call back.

I suffer with significant mental health issues and therefore struggle with my finances.

I am sorry my post was so long but I am after some advice whether Brighthouse should have provided with credit as it was very clear that my income would drop significantly whilst in the agreement.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I have edited my original post as I have received a couple of comments which I don!!!8217;t feel were necessary,
    Last edited by Welshguy40; 09-03-2018 at 11:52 PM.
Page 2
    • nic_c
    • By nic_c 9th Mar 18, 7:56 PM
    • 1,524 Posts
    • 835 Thanks
    nic_c
    My issue isnt about my mental health. I made them aware of this when I took out the agreement,
    Originally posted by Welshguy40
    It's about having a benefit that runs out during the term of the agreement isn't it. When you told them the end date, did they question how you would afford it then?

My concern about this is that your situation is similar to that of a fixed term contractor. Years ago a colleague of mine at the time found getting a mortgage a real uphill struggle, because he was on a 2 year fixed contract that always got renewed but allowed him to negotiate his salary. The mortgage company kept saying that his contract may not be renewed, even though any permanent worker could be made redundant at any time. He could show continual past employment and even got a letter from his employer. The situation has now changed and people on fixed term contracts now don't face extra barriers to permanent staff for loans etc.

Really the question in your case is did they do due diligence and ask how you would fund it. It would be really unfair if you are saying they shouldn't have given the loan because of the end date of your benefit - unless you specifically told them it would not get renewed. A person with a permanent disability who gets PIP/ESA may find this gets reviewed every couple of years and it would be unfair, in fact discriminatory, if loans were rejected purely because the review meant it wasn't guaranteed even if they level of disability meant it would be.
    • venison
    • By venison 9th Mar 18, 8:22 PM
    • 2,171 Posts
    • 2,318 Thanks
    venison
    As has been said already if the benefits are either ESA or PIP they don't run out you are re-assessed from time to time, however you took out the deal expecting them to run out and now you want to blame bright house for allowing you to buy from them?
    You don't seem to have answered the question as to how long the HP agreement was for, if you have paid half the payments you should have the right to return the goods and stop paying for them, although I suspect thats not what you want to hear
    Forget what someone told you on a cold call they aren't working in your interest only theirs.
    Basically bright house operate a rent to buy scheme.
    My advice would be to see if you regain the benefit you say you have lost before taking further action.
    Sorry most of that isn't what you want to hear OP
    Ex Board Guide
    • Clive Woody
    • By Clive Woody 9th Mar 18, 11:18 PM
    • 4,461 Posts
    • 5,065 Thanks
    Clive Woody
    I assumed that the benefit would continue...
    Not sure if I am missing something, but didn't you say that you knew the benefit would be ending before you signed the agreement...and you told them this?
    Rugby Union - The Greatest Game
    • Welshguy40
    • By Welshguy40 9th Mar 18, 11:41 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Welshguy40
    The benefit letter stated an end date. I assumed like other people have mentioned that it would be reviewed and this was not the case and I have had to apply again.

I did point this out to them together with my health issues.

I did not come in here for sympathy but certainly didn!!!8217;t expect people to more or less accuse me of trying to rip the company off. I only asked for advice as I was advised by a third party the company did not follow correct procedure.

I think some people should read the etiquette guide as I found some of the replies extremely hurtful. I am classed as a vulnerable adult so I can only hope you regret your comments.

I am honest and I hate being unwell and I am just grateful the FOS are going to help.
    • Hoogle
    • By Hoogle 9th Mar 18, 11:45 PM
    • 193 Posts
    • 173 Thanks
    Hoogle
    I don't think you have a case on affordability I do not know the company in personal sense it is 1 I would stay away from. But I believe they are the ones that provide credit to people even with no income as you have to supply 1 or 2 guarantors so whatever you couldn't afford they would have to pay it.

If i took a loan out with a good income but lost my job the following month I couldnt go back to the bank and claim they shouldnt have given me the loan on affordability.

However you may have PPI claim as they are 1 of the notorious companies that do prey on vulnerable people especially the poor. You do not need a 3rd party company to sort out mis sold PPI just google missold PPI letter template and forward that to Bright House with your details.
    • SnowTiger
    • By SnowTiger 10th Mar 18, 12:45 AM
    • 3,301 Posts
    • 2,273 Thanks
    SnowTiger
    The benefit letter stated an end date. I assumed like other people have mentioned that it would be reviewed and this was not the case and I have had to apply again.

I did point this out to them together with my health issues.
    PIP is always awarded for a specific amount of time. Claimants are invited to reapply about a year before the end of their current claim.

What you're saying is that PIP shouldn't be included in affordability assessments for credit. If that were so, it may prevent a lot of disabled people from getting credit.

Even the government allows income from PIP to be used in affordability calculations.

People who sponsor family from abroad to come to the UK are exempt from financial requirements set by the government if they receive PIP; however their income must match Income Support rates to support themselves and their family. Income from PIP can be used to reach that figure.

What can you do about your problem with BrightHouse? Complain. Details here.

If you don't like their response or they don't reply within eight weeks you can take your complain to the FOS.
    • John-K
    • By John-K 10th Mar 18, 8:35 AM
    • 654 Posts
    • 1,016 Thanks
    John-K
    Not sure if I am missing something, but didn't you say that you knew the benefit would be ending before you signed the agreement...and you told them this?
    Originally posted by Clive Woody
    Yes, hes seemingly altering the story to try to make the facts what he wants them to be.

Welshguy, none of the replies here are disgusting, people are helping you out with good advice, and trying to point out to you that if you thought that the payments were affordable then Brighthouse could not know any better.

Your attitude, I am afraid, stinks.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 10th Mar 18, 9:56 AM
    • 18,802 Posts
    • 12,981 Thanks
    molerat
    Damned if they do, damned if they don't. Irresponsible lending or disability discrimination.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • jimbo747
    • By jimbo747 10th Mar 18, 10:11 AM
    • 483 Posts
    • 1,290 Thanks
    jimbo747
    Keep pushing the mental health thing, will get you out of any financial commitment.

I thought it was taken as a given that if you have any debt you must have mental health problems?
    • smithers1981
    • By smithers1981 10th Mar 18, 10:57 AM
    • 696 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    smithers1981
    Think anyone who uses Brighthouse has some sort of mental illness or deficiency.
    'Better to Live a Day as a LION than 100 years as a lamb'
    • John-K
    • By John-K 10th Mar 18, 11:19 AM
    • 654 Posts
    • 1,016 Thanks
    John-K
    I know that people will always pop up on threads like this and explain how buying from Brighthouse actually makes sense, but I really can!!!8217;t see how that is ever the case.

For televisions, games, beds, and the like then clearly there can be no actual need, only ever a want, but even for cookers, washing machines etc. there are sites such as freecycle.

Back when I was poor, I would never have dreamed of buying items like this new, let alone at such inflated prices. What has happened nowadays that this has become seen as acceptable?
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 10th Mar 18, 1:01 PM
    • 10,266 Posts
    • 55,378 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    I can (kind of ) see why someone might go to Brighthouse for something essential, like a cooker.

For something like a large screen TV, computer, games console, etc. That, to me, is insane!
    My job is Top Secret. Even I don't know what I'm doing.

Amount I have so far denied the BBC - 1308

Who are you to question why your god doesn't want me to believe in him?
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 10th Mar 18, 1:29 PM
    • 14,342 Posts
    • 13,536 Thanks
    sourcrates
    I can (kind of ) see why someone might go to Brighthouse for something essential, like a cooker.

For something like a large screen TV, computer, games console, etc. That, to me, is insane!
    Originally posted by Bedsit Bob
    You see bob, and this is not aimed at you personally, the thing is with people with mental health issues, they cannot always see problems or issues like everyone else can.

Virtually every one who has posted on this thread, is telling the OP its their fault, you should of known, etc etc, people with mental health issues are not always able to compute what is rational, and what is not, they are judging the OP by normal standards, those who do not suffer with this disorder have not got a clue what life is like inside a body that suffers from these issues.

Once i may of joined in those remarks, but two years ago, my then 14 year old daughter went through an abusive, controlling relationship with a boy at school, for want of a better word, he used her as his !!!!!, she got so depressed, she could not bare to tell a sole at first, she went from a normal kid, to a complete self harming wreck in a few months, we are still helping her through this, but its been a sharp learning curve for me i can tell you.

We have no idea how the OP`s health effects their daily life, or decision making capability, but perhaps not been so blunt may be the first step to take, as that is normally the trigger to set off an episode.

I find some of the comments on here ill thought out and downright offensive, and clearly written by someone with no experience of mental health issues whatsoever.
    Last edited by sourcrates; 10-03-2018 at 1:57 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 10th Mar 18, 1:45 PM
    • 10,266 Posts
    • 55,378 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    My comments weren't aimed at the OP in particular, but at the use of Brighthouse in general.

That's why I differentiated between an essential household item (eg. a cooker) and a luxury (eg. a big screen TV).

I know of otherwise perfectly level headed (I hesitate to use the term "normal") people, who have spent a fortune on luxury items, which, in the absence of high-APR credit, they couldn't afford.

That, to me, is stupidity of the first order.

• camelot1971
    • By camelot1971 10th Mar 18, 1:59 PM
    • 815 Posts
    • 1,222 Thanks
    camelot1971
    What I don't understand from this thread is that a person is capable of making a decision to buy an item, travel into town, bring all their ID with them, buy a product on finance by filling out a form, know full well their benefits are time limited but still go ahead and buy said item. And then later complain they were taken advantage of and shouldn't have been able to borrow money.

I'm in no way defending Brighthouse or their business model but at some point people need to take responsibility for their own actions. If you genuinely aren't capable of doing that, then you should have a power of attorney and have them go with you when you want to buy something.

No benefits are guaranteed for life so perhaps finance companies should just stop lending to people on benefits, full stop. Would prevent situations like the OP. But then, as I said before, that same person would be on here screaming and complaining they were being discriminated against.

You can't have it both ways.
    • iolanthe07
    • By iolanthe07 10th Mar 18, 2:34 PM
    • 5,030 Posts
    • 4,725 Thanks
    iolanthe07
    perhaps finance companies should just stop lending to people on benefits, full stop.

Then these people would fall into the hands of loan sharks. At least Brighthouse isn't going to kneecap anyone. But I agree their prices are very high and their interest charges usurious.
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
    • camelot1971
    • By camelot1971 10th Mar 18, 4:48 PM
    • 815 Posts
    • 1,222 Thanks
    camelot1971
    perhaps finance companies should just stop lending to people on benefits, full stop.

Then these people would fall into the hands of loan sharks. At least Brighthouse isn't going to kneecap anyone. But I agree their prices are very high and their interest charges usurious.
    Originally posted by iolanthe07
    I'm not saying they should but I wouldn't blame them for taking that attitude.
    • venison
    • By venison 10th Mar 18, 5:02 PM
    • 2,171 Posts
    • 2,318 Thanks
    venison
    I may have missed something here but, and it seems the OP won't reply now I was wondering if the benefit was ESA which if its cont based and the OP is in the WRAG group and they have a partner with an income THEN the ESA would be limited to 12 months.
    Hope that makes sense?
    Ex Board Guide
    • nic_c
    • By nic_c 10th Mar 18, 7:21 PM
    • 1,524 Posts
    • 835 Thanks
    nic_c
    My comments weren't aimed at the OP in particular, but at the use of Brighthouse in general.

That's why I differentiated between an essential household item (eg. a cooker) and a luxury (eg. a big screen TV).

I know of otherwise perfectly level headed (I hesitate to use the term "normal") people, who have spent a fortune on luxury items, which, in the absence of high-APR credit, they couldn't afford.

That, to me, is stupidity of the first order.
    Originally posted by Bedsit Bob
    Most people on here are in a position to evaluate options and make better financial choices. Brighthouse is aimed at those on limited weekly incomes who aren't in a position or have the resolve to save money. People who draw all their money out pay what they need and hope it lasts until next week - often they will borrow money from relatives and then pay them back the following week and repeat this on a regular cycle. To these people brighthouse allows them to get a cooker, fridge, etc because its XX per week and they know they can afford it. It's scandalous that the prices for the goods are inflated and on top of that there may be interest charges for credit, but they have limited options. It's the same as prepayment energy meters where they get charged inflated energy prices just to pay weekly by meter.

For the OP its a case of what Brighthouse should have done, especially if they were told of future income changes before the end of the plan. It's irrelevant if the benefits normally get renewed if they told BH that they would be ending.

If you were applying for a 25 year mortgage at the age of 50 it would be remiss of the mortgage company to question how you proposed to pay for the mortgage once you passed retirement age.
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 10th Mar 18, 10:05 PM
    • 10,266 Posts
    • 55,378 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    To these people brighthouse allows them to get a cooker, fridge, etc because its XX per week and they know they can afford it.
    Originally posted by nic_c
    A cooker or fridge I can kind of understand, because they're pretty much essential, but big screen TVs, computers and games consoles are not essentials, and to get into high APR debt for them is, IMO, plain crazy.

It's the same as prepayment energy meters where they get charged inflated energy prices just to pay weekly by meter.
    As with the cooker and fridge, energy is a necessity (probably even more than a cooker or fridge), so I can understand why people have to use expensive prepayment meters.
    Last edited by Bedsit Bob; 10-03-2018 at 10:08 PM.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

162Posts Today

1,702Users online

Martin's Twitter