Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • abandonded
    • By abandonded 9th Mar 18, 11:36 AM
    • 278Posts
    • 136Thanks
    abandonded
    EDF and Smart Meter Installation Areas
    • 9th Mar 18, 11:36 AM
    EDF and Smart Meter Installation Areas 9th Mar 18 at 11:36 AM
    Smart meters are being “rolled out area-by-area” but, “Suppliers do not publish lists of which areas they're installed in yet nor a timetable for future roll-outs”.

I took the above quote from elsewhere on the site and had I been told that at the very beginning when I asked EDF about a smart meter, I could have saved myself and EDF personnel a great deal of valuable time. Instead I got excuses that they were short of engineers or that there were no engineers in the area. So what is the state of play with EDF and Smart meters?

Have you had one installed by them and if so how long ago was it and what county or region do you live in?

Are they installing in your area now and if so, again can I ask which county or region are you in?

Or, if like me here in Aberdeenshire, have you applied only to be told that they have no engineers in your area or that there is a shortage of engineers, which county or region do you live in?

Perhaps, if enough people respond, it might just be possible to build a picture of EDF Smart meter installation throughout the country.
    Abandoned
Page 1
    • whiteswan
    • By whiteswan 9th Mar 18, 11:38 AM
    • 161 Posts
    • 97 Thanks
    whiteswan
    • 9th Mar 18, 11:38 AM
    • 9th Mar 18, 11:38 AM
    Installed last week in Gtr Manchester Area.
    • telemarks
    • By telemarks 9th Mar 18, 11:50 AM
    • 161 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    telemarks
    • 9th Mar 18, 11:50 AM
    • 9th Mar 18, 11:50 AM
    Or more simply, save yourself the grief and don't get a Smart meter installed (yet).

The reason is simple, the SMETS1 meter currently been rolled out quickly become dumb meters again as soon as you switch supplier. They "may" be able to have the software updated latter, but rollout of this is untested and may never happen.

Wait until SMETS 2 meters become common, these are in test currently and will allow switching. Maybe next year.
    Last edited by telemarks; 09-03-2018 at 12:09 PM.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 9th Mar 18, 11:57 AM
    • 10,435 Posts
    • 4,390 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 9th Mar 18, 11:57 AM
    • 9th Mar 18, 11:57 AM
    As above refused any so far.
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 9th Mar 18, 1:28 PM
    • 1,603 Posts
    • 2,108 Thanks
    badmemory
    • 9th Mar 18, 1:28 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 1:28 PM
    I am waiting for at least SMETS 3 as I don't believe that this bunch of "couldn't organise a booze up in a brewery" people will get SMETS 2 right anymore than they did 1.
    • Lord Bob
    • By Lord Bob 9th Mar 18, 2:21 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Lord Bob
    • 9th Mar 18, 2:21 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 2:21 PM
    EDF installed one for me in the early part of 2016. I didn't ask for one. They just phoned me up one day and offered it. That's in Bristol, South West. At the time the guy who installed it said they couldn't do ones for Economy 7. Don't know if that's still the case. The other 11 flats in my block are Economy 7 and none of them have had smart meters fitted.
    Last edited by Lord Bob; 09-03-2018 at 2:24 PM.
    • abandonded
    • By abandonded 9th Mar 18, 5:02 PM
    • 278 Posts
    • 136 Thanks
    abandonded
    • 9th Mar 18, 5:02 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 5:02 PM
    Any further north?..
    Abandoned
    • fira
    • By fira 10th Mar 18, 2:03 AM
    • 66 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    fira
    • 10th Mar 18, 2:03 AM
    • 10th Mar 18, 2:03 AM
    Abandoned, not quite as far north as Aberdeen but EDF are installing in Glasgow. I've been emailed, telephoned daily and have lost count of their texts. Believe me, you will know when they are heading your way

Bill
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 10th Mar 18, 6:22 AM
    • 2,826 Posts
    • 786 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 10th Mar 18, 6:22 AM
    • 10th Mar 18, 6:22 AM
    Yeah just be thankful they aren't nagging you. And wait for sme2
    • fira
    • By fira 11th Mar 18, 1:59 AM
    • 66 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    fira
    Yeah just be thankful they aren't nagging you. And wait for sme2
    Originally posted by AndyPK
    I told them exactly that Andy on every call and still they kept phoning. Their number is now blocked.

Bill
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

144Posts Today

1,291Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin