Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kp039
    • By kp039 9th Mar 18, 11:33 AM
    • 12Posts
    • 2Thanks
    kp039
    Building Surveyor missed many important defects
    • 9th Mar 18, 11:33 AM
    Building Surveyor missed many important defects 9th Mar 18 at 11:33 AM
    We bought property last month and moved this month and realised Building surveyor has many defect in property and given in report as good conditions (RICS -Green-1) rating. Below are some of things he has missed in property and not sure how can we approach it.

1) Downstairs, upstairs: Cracks on wall are not reported

2) Downstairs: Cracks on ceiling are not reported

3) Downstairs, upstairs: Cracks on joints of loft stairs, loft not reported

4) Downstairs: Drawing room ceiling past leak not reported

5) Downstairs: drawing room floor cracks and broken wooden floor not reported

6) Downstairs: Kitchen missing & damaged tile and bad plaster not reported

7) Kitchen: top rotten under sink not reported

8) Downstairs WC: broken tile and missing tile in storage area, poor condition floor not reported

9) Stairs storage: hole in roof not reported

10) Upstairs: Bathroom wall & tile cracks, bad grout not reported

11) Woodworm and very poor condition of floor in small bedroom.
Page 2
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 9th Mar 18, 12:34 PM
    • 441 Posts
    • 522 Thanks
    need an answer
    OP What is the age of the house?
    in S 31 T 21 F 42
    out S 42 T 25 F 32
    2017 -32
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 9th Mar 18, 12:36 PM
    • 17,395 Posts
    • 15,762 Thanks
    AdrianC
    For woodworm, we want to install underfloor heating so we called flooring experts (also 3 and one from reputed company) and he confirmed one of room is infected heavy with woodworms and floor and possible joist below floors need to be replaced.
    Originally posted by kp039
    Was that floor bare boards, no carpet, when the survey was carried out?
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 9th Mar 18, 12:36 PM
    • 3,037 Posts
    • 6,102 Thanks
    Smodlet
    All very well,but if the OP has been living in the property for the last month,my assumption is the survey has not just recently been completed.

These are questions that should have been addressed by the OP during the buying process prior to exchange not some weeks even months later.
    Originally posted by need an answer
    Fair enough but it often takes a while to notice every little (or large) defect and a month is not much time for an FTB to do so. I would have expected any surveyor doing a Homebuyer's Report to notice and highlight woodworm (and cracks if not obviously minor) To fail to do so when commissioned to do a building survey only compounds the sin, imo.

Had the report mentioned the major defects, kp039 would have had the opportunity to negotiate or to walk away; that is why one pays for a survey in the first place, after all.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 9th Mar 18, 12:46 PM
    • 441 Posts
    • 522 Thanks
    need an answer
    Fair enough but it often takes a while to notice every little (or large) defect and a month is not much time for an FTB to do so. I would have expected any surveyor doing a Homebuyer's Report to notice and highlight woodworm (and cracks if not obviously minor) To fail to do so when commissioned to do a building survey only compounds the sin, imo.

Had the report mentioned the major defects, kp039 would have had the opportunity to negotiate or to walk away; that is why one pays for a survey in the first place, after all.
    Originally posted by Smodlet
    To a point I concede that woodworm should have been mentioned if it was easily visible without the need to remove carpeting etc, however we don't have the full facts over whether it's a live infestation or historic and the builder who has quoted the costs to rectify isn't stripping everything out unnecessarily or just to make it cosmetically aesthetic.(or even to provide stability to underfloor heating which wouldn't be needed if underfloor wasn't the object of what the OP wanted.)

Whether you are a FTB or not IMO you don't need to have a trained eye to spot bad plastering,poorly executed grout or cracks in walls and ceilings,and if you do you discuss your concerns with the surveyor you choose to carry out the inspection.

Poor communication between buyer and surveyor whom the buyer instructs is not subsequently an automatic cause to demand redress.

more of lesson learnt.
    Last edited by need an answer; 09-03-2018 at 12:53 PM.
    in S 31 T 21 F 42
    out S 42 T 25 F 32
    2017 -32
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 9th Mar 18, 2:06 PM
    • 25,072 Posts
    • 92,633 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Building survey or full structural survey?

A building survey would only show up major defects. A FSS is more likely to comment on every item.
    Originally posted by silvercar
    The buildings survey is what many people erroneously call a 'full structural survey.'
    http://www.rics.org/uk/knowledge/home-survey-suite/rics-home-surveys/
    'It's a terrible thing to wait until you're ready…..Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.' Hugh Lawrie.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 9th Mar 18, 6:08 PM
    • 3,037 Posts
    • 6,102 Thanks
    Smodlet
    To needananswer, (hate this @; who wants to be talked @ rather than spoken to?) I concede your point regarding whether or not the woodworm was visible to the surveyor however, were it not so, perhaps they should not have said the floor was fine without even looking at it. Maybe it is high time RICS were held accountable for the shortcomings and inactions of their members; they are paid enough, after all.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • kp039
    • By kp039 9th Mar 18, 9:46 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    kp039
    OP What is the age of the house?
    It is 1935 built semidetached bunglow
    • kp039
    • By kp039 9th Mar 18, 9:47 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    kp039
    Was that floor bare boards, no carpet, when the survey was carried out?
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    It is wood flooring so he did not have to lift anything to have view.
    • kp039
    • By kp039 9th Mar 18, 9:51 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    kp039
    To a point I concede that woodworm should have been mentioned if it was easily visible without the need to remove carpeting etc, however we don't have the full facts over whether it's a live infestation or historic and the builder who has quoted the costs to rectify isn't stripping everything out unnecessarily or just to make it cosmetically aesthetic.(or even to provide stability to underfloor heating which wouldn't be needed if underfloor wasn't the object of what the OP wanted.)

Whether you are a FTB or not IMO you don't need to have a trained eye to spot bad plastering,poorly executed grout or cracks in walls and ceilings,and if you do you discuss your concerns with the surveyor you choose to carry out the inspection.

Poor communication between buyer and surveyor whom the buyer instructs is not subsequently an automatic cause to demand redress.

more of lesson learnt.
    Flooring expert has said it is live infestation and amount he quoted is not installing under floor heating but to replace(will remove current flooring and if needed will have to replace joist for floor support). He is yet to quote for underfloor heating
    • Mr.Generous
    • By Mr.Generous 9th Mar 18, 10:14 PM
    • 1,764 Posts
    • 2,655 Thanks
    Mr.Generous
    Can you see little piles of dust by the woodworm holes to indicate a live infestation?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

874Posts Today

6,778Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin