Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kp039
    • By kp039 9th Mar 18, 11:33 AM
    • 12Posts
    • 2Thanks
    kp039
    Building Surveyor missed many important defects
    • 9th Mar 18, 11:33 AM
    Building Surveyor missed many important defects 9th Mar 18 at 11:33 AM
    We bought property last month and moved this month and realised Building surveyor has many defect in property and given in report as good conditions (RICS -Green-1) rating. Below are some of things he has missed in property and not sure how can we approach it.

1) Downstairs, upstairs: Cracks on wall are not reported

2) Downstairs: Cracks on ceiling are not reported

3) Downstairs, upstairs: Cracks on joints of loft stairs, loft not reported

4) Downstairs: Drawing room ceiling past leak not reported

5) Downstairs: drawing room floor cracks and broken wooden floor not reported

6) Downstairs: Kitchen missing & damaged tile and bad plaster not reported

7) Kitchen: top rotten under sink not reported

8) Downstairs WC: broken tile and missing tile in storage area, poor condition floor not reported

9) Stairs storage: hole in roof not reported

10) Upstairs: Bathroom wall & tile cracks, bad grout not reported

11) Woodworm and very poor condition of floor in small bedroom.
Page 1
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 9th Mar 18, 11:40 AM
    • 17,394 Posts
    • 15,757 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 9th Mar 18, 11:40 AM
    • 9th Mar 18, 11:40 AM
    Most of those sound like things that you really could have noticed on your own pre-purchase inspections, unless they were hidden by carpets or furniture - which the surveyor wouldn't have moved.

What level of survey did you get?
    What are you looking to achieve?
    How bad are these myriad of "cracks"?
    • cloo
    • By cloo 9th Mar 18, 11:42 AM
    • 1,037 Posts
    • 1,004 Thanks
    cloo
    • 9th Mar 18, 11:42 AM
    Hi - firstly, was this a full valuation that you paid for or taken from a valuation survey done for the mortgage?

Cracks are not necessarily important defects, but I would expect a full survey to comment on them none the less, ones I have had have usually mentioned them, if only to say they're there but not an issue.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 9th Mar 18, 11:42 AM
    • 7,668 Posts
    • 7,811 Thanks
    davidmcn
    These sound generally like minor decorative/maintenance points rather than "important defects".
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 9th Mar 18, 11:47 AM
    • 431 Posts
    • 510 Thanks
    need an answer
    • 9th Mar 18, 11:47 AM
    • 9th Mar 18, 11:47 AM
    Presumably you would have noticed cracking to the ceilings and tiling/grout issues in the bathroom when you viewed the property.

Did you mention these for further investigation to the surveyor before they visited.
    If the issues were that important to you I guess you must have.

Much of what you mention would probably be cosmetic rather than an important defect.
    in S 31 T 21 F 42
    out S 42 T 25 F 32
    2017 -32
    • kp039
    • By kp039 9th Mar 18, 11:48 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    kp039
    • 9th Mar 18, 11:48 AM
    • 9th Mar 18, 11:48 AM
    We did building survey and we did not notice and we are not experienced in this matter and that is reason we hired surveyor.

We want to know reasoning for not mentioning and also he listed all point I mentioned as Good condition but would floor with heavy wood worm or ceiling with water leak and shady patch work would consider as good conditions?

If all where mentioned in report than we could have argued with seller to repair or get price reduced for repair cost.
    • m0bov
    • By m0bov 9th Mar 18, 11:50 AM
    • 1,286 Posts
    • 871 Thanks
    m0bov
    • 9th Mar 18, 11:50 AM
    • 9th Mar 18, 11:50 AM
    I would have thought it would have been noted, I had a full buildings survey and I had these things noted.

Why don't you get a "friend" to call up the company and ask about the survey and whether the above items would be noted?
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 9th Mar 18, 11:56 AM
    • 431 Posts
    • 510 Thanks
    need an answer
    • 9th Mar 18, 11:56 AM
    • 9th Mar 18, 11:56 AM
    What amount did the surveyor value the property at?
    Was that significantly different to the amount you paid?

If not then really you have no justification to go back either then or now to request that the seller compensate you with a lower price or get the work carried out.

Quite frankly you are now facing home ownership whereby you are responsible for the property up keep now and going forward.

What is it with people who seem to think that someone else is always to blame.
    in S 31 T 21 F 42
    out S 42 T 25 F 32
    2017 -32
    • kp039
    • By kp039 9th Mar 18, 11:57 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    kp039
    • 9th Mar 18, 11:57 AM
    • 9th Mar 18, 11:57 AM
    These sound generally like minor decorative/maintenance points rather than "important defects".
    Originally posted by davidmcn
    Presumably you would have noticed cracking to the ceilings and tiling/grout issues in the bathroom when you viewed the property.

Did you mention these for further investigation to the surveyor before they visited.
    If the issues were that important to you I guess you must have.

Much of what you mention would probably be cosmetic rather than an important defect.
    Originally posted by need an answer
    I would have thought it would have been noted, I had a full buildings survey and I had these things noted.

Why don't you get a "friend" to call up the company and ask about the survey and whether the above items would be noted?
    Originally posted by m0bov
    We did building survey and we did not notice and we are not experienced in this matter and that is reason we hired surveyor.

We want to know reasoning for not mentioning and also he listed all point I mentioned as Good condition but would floor with heavy wood worm or ceiling with water leak and shady patch work would consider as good conditions?

If all where mentioned in report than we could have argued with seller to repair or get price reduced for repair cost.

I am new to country and talked to couple of colleague in office and all mentioned it should have part of report irrespective of if it is cosmetic or structure.
    • kp039
    • By kp039 9th Mar 18, 12:02 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    kp039
    What amount did the surveyor value the property at?
    Was that significantly different to the amount you paid?

If not then really you have no justification to go back either then or now to request that the seller compensate you with a lower price or get the work carried out.

Quite frankly you are now facing home ownership whereby you are responsible for the property up keep now and going forward.

What is it with people who seem to think that someone else is always to blame.
    Originally posted by need an answer
    What amount did the surveyor value the property at? : We did not include valuation in report as valuation was done by bank
    Was that significantly different to the amount you paid? : Not sure and I am not asking above question for property valuation

thanks for reply I am not after getting monies back, first I want to know would thoese defects generally be part of report or not? If they should be part of report than can I go back to surveyor and ask reasoning behind it and would I able to get repair cost of items I mentioned from surveyor ?

Not sure if you understand my question but if you employee someone to do job and I just want to find out if he did his job correctly or not and if not than how can we remedy it?
    Last edited by kp039; 09-03-2018 at 12:05 PM. Reason: included more details
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 9th Mar 18, 12:05 PM
    • 7,668 Posts
    • 7,811 Thanks
    davidmcn
    If they should be part of report than can I go back to surveyor and ask reasoning behind it and would I able to get repair cost of items I mentioned from surveyor ?
    Originally posted by kp039
    There's nothing stopping you from speaking to the surveyor about it. But it sounds like the "repair cost" for much of this would comprise a tub of polyfilla and a tin of paint.
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 9th Mar 18, 12:09 PM
    • 431 Posts
    • 510 Thanks
    need an answer
    I do understand your question
    I am just trying to establish what you expect to gain from going back to the surveyor at this point after you have lived in the property for the last month.

So you go back to the surveyor and what do you expect them to do or compensate you with?

Even if the surveyor said sorry I got it wrong,would that be the end of the matter?
    or do you expect his head on a stick?

please quantify what you want to achieve,or just accept that these things are part of home ownership and enjoy your house.
    Last edited by need an answer; 09-03-2018 at 12:13 PM.
    in S 31 T 21 F 42
    out S 42 T 25 F 32
    2017 -32
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 9th Mar 18, 12:12 PM
    • 3,024 Posts
    • 6,078 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Sue the surveyor! Claim compensation! Bad grout?

Seriously, OP, how do you know there is woodworm unless the surveyor told you, if you are so inexperienced? If the holes are in a regular pattern, they could have been made by nails holding down ply as a base for a floor covering which has been removed, especially if the boards came from a reclamation yard. Unlikely but possible.

Cracks could be absolutely minor cosmetic things or disastrous structural things; if the latter, indeed the surveyor should have raised the issue. Since s/he did not, that would seem to indicate the former is the case.

Why not ask around your colleagues again, this time for a builder (or three) Ask him or them to come and look over your house to quote for any necessary work. If he or they tell you nothing needs to be done except decoration, believe them. Use only builders who have been highly recommended by people you know as there are a great many cowboy firms out there who will take advantage of you given half a chance.

HTH.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 9th Mar 18, 12:13 PM
    • 37,234 Posts
    • 156,857 Thanks
    silvercar
    Building survey or full structural survey?

A building survey would only show up major defects. A FSS is more likely to comment on every item.
    • armchaireconomist
    • By armchaireconomist 9th Mar 18, 12:19 PM
    • 224 Posts
    • 303 Thanks
    armchaireconomist
    Join the club, they're not worth the paper they're written on half the time.

My "building survey" didn't notice:
    - "upvc windows all round"... one of the windows was wooden
    - "stairs are solid underfoot"... evidence of historic woodworm, needed replaced
    - woodlice infestation (literally 100s) not reported
    - "upvc doors in good condition"... lock was seized on back door and outside face smashed

List goes on...
    • kp039
    • By kp039 9th Mar 18, 12:20 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    kp039
    Sue the surveyor! Claim compensation! Bad grout?

Seriously, OP, how do you know there is woodworm unless the surveyor told you, if you are so inexperienced? If the holes are in a regular pattern, they could have been made by nails holding down ply as a base for a floor covering which has been removed, especially if the boards came from a reclamation yard. Unlikely but possible.

Cracks could be absolutely minor cosmetic things or disastrous structural things; if the latter, indeed the surveyor should have raised the issue. Since s/he did not, that would seem to indicate the former is the case.

Why not ask around your colleagues again, this time for a builder (or three) Ask him or them to come and look over your house to quote for any necessary work. If he or they tell you nothing needs to be done except decoration, believe them. Use only builders who have been highly recommended by people you know as there are a great many cowboy firms out there who will take advantage of you given half a chance.

HTH.
    Originally posted by Smodlet
    Thanks it sounds more appropriate approach,

we had 3 builder coming as we noted cracks in ceiling across house and he looked at ceiling and confirmed there have been since many years also there is patch work done in ceiling for water leak from upstairs and seller just tried to hide it and it should have been flagged in report may be not as defect if surveyor think it is not defect but as more to investigate.

For woodworm, we want to install underfloor heating so we called flooring experts (also 3 and one from reputed company) and he confirmed one of room is infected heavy with woodworms and floor and possible joist below floors need to be replaced.

Builder quoted 2200 for repair and for floor it is quoted between 1200 to 3000 if joists need to be replace and at that time we realised would this not be part of survey report and points I listed in post are all we have noted and needed help to understand which should have been part of survey report and what not.
    • kp039
    • By kp039 9th Mar 18, 12:21 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    kp039
    Building survey or full structural survey?

A building survey would only show up major defects. A FSS is more likely to comment on every item.
    Originally posted by silvercar
    Building survey.
    • m0bov
    • By m0bov 9th Mar 18, 12:23 PM
    • 1,286 Posts
    • 871 Thanks
    m0bov
    After most surveys they allow you to call them guy up and question or query anything. You could ask him "what about the cracks" and see what he says.
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 9th Mar 18, 12:29 PM
    • 431 Posts
    • 510 Thanks
    need an answer
    After most surveys they allow you to call them guy up and question or query anything. You could ask him "what about the cracks" and see what he says.
    Originally posted by m0bov
    All very well,but if the OP has been living in the property for the last month,my assumption is the survey has not just recently been completed.

These are questions that should have been addressed by the OP during the buying process prior to exchange not some weeks even months later.
    in S 31 T 21 F 42
    out S 42 T 25 F 32
    2017 -32
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 9th Mar 18, 12:30 PM
    • 3,024 Posts
    • 6,078 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Fair enough, kp039, you are obviously far more on the ball than might have been apparent in your original post; apologies for the sarcasm. Woodworm is a serious issue, as you have found out. I would complain to the surveyor or his superior if only to give them a wake up call so they might notice such an infestation next time they see it!

Unfortunately, survey reports are so full of caveats and get-out clauses I doubt you have any recourse for compensation however, the next someone asks you to recommend a surveyor, you will know who to tell them to avoid.

Maybe you could post, name and shame on the Praise, Vent and Warnings board on here to help others avoid the horrible situation you find yourself in. Other social media sites are available...

Good luck to you, kp039.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

176Posts Today

1,850Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin