Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kp039
    • By kp039 9th Mar 18, 11:08 AM
    • 12Posts
    • 2Thanks
    kp039
    Loft Conversion does not match planning permission
    • 9th Mar 18, 11:08 AM
    Loft Conversion does not match planning permission 9th Mar 18 at 11:08 AM
    We bought property last month and moved to it this month, After moving we found out current loft conversion (completed in 2007) does not match planning permission application issued on 2006 on council site.

Seller has given us completion certificate but not sure why it is not matching planning permission and if it not built as per planning permission than why completion certificate was issue.

Also Completion certificate has different application number than planning permission on Richmond council site.

My solicitor did not mention anything about or not matching application number.

What should I do? Would that impact me in anyway when we apply for new planning permission to extend property in future?
Page 1
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 9th Mar 18, 11:11 AM
    • 6,487 Posts
    • 8,414 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    • 9th Mar 18, 11:11 AM
    • 9th Mar 18, 11:11 AM
    Have you looked up the reference number on the completion certificate, on the council site? Maybe they had more than one application?
    • Gary123456790
    • By Gary123456790 9th Mar 18, 11:19 AM
    • 497 Posts
    • 324 Thanks
    Gary123456790
    • 9th Mar 18, 11:19 AM
    • 9th Mar 18, 11:19 AM
    Completion certificate is for building regulations, i.e. was the building work done properly, e.g. ventilation, foundations, joist sizes, etc. This is completely separate to planning, which is concerned with size/style/external appearance/etc.

How much does it differ from the planning? Are there any subsequent planning applications to modify the first one, or any resubmitted drawings with amendments?

Presumably you know about this just because you noticed it differs, rather than the council wanting to take action against you? If so then it is unlikely the council planning dept. will worry after 10 years.

I'm not sure if any new planning application would throw light on the issue that the old work was not done as per the application but I suspect it is unlikely.

Thanks.
    • kp039
    • By kp039 9th Mar 18, 11:29 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    kp039
    • 9th Mar 18, 11:29 AM
    • 9th Mar 18, 11:29 AM
    It difference internally, seller has maintained out structure as per approved planning application but internally on council drawing shows staircase at end of wall but in actual build it is done in middle of property above bathroom.

Would solicitor/building surveyor have noticed it?
    • kp039
    • By kp039 9th Mar 18, 11:30 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    kp039
    • 9th Mar 18, 11:30 AM
    • 9th Mar 18, 11:30 AM
    I looked at application reference on planning permission and building reg certificate and both does not match not sure if they both use same reference number format or not?
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 9th Mar 18, 11:32 AM
    • 7,628 Posts
    • 7,757 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 9th Mar 18, 11:32 AM
    • 9th Mar 18, 11:32 AM
    It difference internally, seller has maintained out structure as per approved planning application but internally on council drawing shows staircase at end of wall but in actual build it is done in middle of property above bathroom.

Would solicitor/building surveyor have noticed it?
    Originally posted by kp039
    If the only difference is internal then it's probably irrelevant from a planning point of view, as loft conversions generally only need planning permission in relation to how they look externally.

If you have a completion certificate then the council were happy with the completed works from a building regulations point of view.

Building control and planning are different departments, the applications are completely separate so the reference numbers aren't going to match.

So it doesn't sound like anything to worry about.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,002Posts Today

7,264Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin