Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • vegan
    • By vegan 9th Mar 18, 9:41 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 1Thanks
    vegan
    Tonik tariffs
    • 9th Mar 18, 9:41 AM
    Tonik tariffs 9th Mar 18 at 9:41 AM
    I am confused by my latest cheap energy club search. Am currently on Tonik Positively Green v8 cheap energy club says I can save 40/year by switching to Tonik Positively Green v12. But when I look at the tariff details shown by cheap energy club for v12 they are identical to what I have on v8. So whats happening?
Page 1
    • shaggy
    • By shaggy 9th Mar 18, 9:44 AM
    • 944 Posts
    • 179 Thanks
    shaggy
    • 9th Mar 18, 9:44 AM
    • 9th Mar 18, 9:44 AM
    I am confused by my latest cheap energy club search. Am currently on Tonik Positively Green v8 cheap energy club says I can save 40/year by switching to Tonik Positively Green v12. But when I look at the tariff details shown by cheap energy club for v12 they are identical to what I have on v8. So whats happening?
    Originally posted by vegan
    does version 8 expire by any chance?
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 9th Mar 18, 9:49 AM
    • 5,729 Posts
    • 3,514 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 9th Mar 18, 9:49 AM
    • 9th Mar 18, 9:49 AM
    As suggested above, if you are coming off a fixed tariff and moving to another fixed tariff then any savings are to be ignored. Ofgem requires suppliers and websites to use a rolling 12 months cost projection with the supplier's SVT as the default option. So it is possible to switch fixed tariffs with the new one costing more but also showing a saving.

MSE CEC also has the simpler 'you are paying X/year now" and your new tariffs will cost you 'Ys/year' with the cheapest tariff at the top of the list.

Note MSE CEC cost projections now include shared cash back but not any family and friends discount that is available if you use a link to the supplier's own website.
    • vegan
    • By vegan 12th Mar 18, 11:22 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    vegan
    • 12th Mar 18, 11:22 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 11:22 AM
    No have only just switched to Tonik. Got a year to go. My point is that the standing charges, unit energy prices and dual fuel discounts shown for v12 are identical to what I have on v8. So how can cheap energy club calculate a saving?
    Last edited by vegan; 12-03-2018 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Fuller response.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 12th Mar 18, 11:57 AM
    • 5,729 Posts
    • 3,514 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 12th Mar 18, 11:57 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 11:57 AM
    No have only just switched to Tonik. Got a year to go. My point is that the standing charges, unit energy prices and dual fuel discounts shown for v12 are identical to what I have on v8. So how can cheap energy club calculate a saving?
    The Ofgem inflated savings methodology could be one reason. The second reason is that MSE CEC now deducts any shared referral fee from the total annual cost.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,936Posts Today

8,173Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin