Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • RallyJ
    • By RallyJ 9th Mar 18, 9:41 AM
    • 12Posts
    • 6Thanks
    RallyJ
    Large O2 'data call' charge
    • 9th Mar 18, 9:41 AM
    Large O2 'data call' charge 9th Mar 18 at 9:41 AM
    I have 8Gb data with my O2 contract but just received a bill charging me over 100 for "data calls" or "gprs calls" as they are called elsewhere on the bill. I hadn't gone over the 8Gb limit so this is separate to the regular data usage.

Can anyone enlighten me as to how this can happen? I'm coming towards the end of a two-year contract and all of my other bills have been around 15/20/25 in total. Now all of a sudden I have a bill of over 100 purely for these data calls.

I checked the days when these 'calls' were incurred and I was at or near home, so I don't think I was doing anything unusual.

Does anyone have any advice?
Page 2
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 12th Mar 18, 10:16 AM
    • 7,753 Posts
    • 2,511 Thanks
    mobilejunkie

Who is going to start reading T&C years after signing up to a contract or sift through a forum because they want to switch to a new provider? The more appropriate thing to do would be to inform a customer that they would receive a refund on any unused line rental and that a pro rata rate would be applied to their allowance at the time that they request a PAC code. That could have avoided everything.
    Originally posted by RallyJ
    I would at least ask beforehand. Why do you think you have to give 30 days' notice? If the end of the 30 days falls mid-bundle date (which it will at least 29 out of 30 times) you can't expect to get a full months' allowance. Apart from anything else, it's common sense. It's also the same with all monthly mobile contracts and is a pretty obvious calculation. It's also the same when you start a contract, between the start date and the first bundle date.

You accuse the network of being "extremely unfair". Whilst I often attack the networks for poor customer service they haven't done anything "unfair" or wrong in any way in this scenario. It is standard practice to charge a full month in advance and then refund any surplus; they don't know how much you will use of your bundle until after the event. It isn't their responsibility to go through every detail of a contract with you nor to explain how mobile contracts work. Had they explained it to you at any point it would have been a bonus and should they offer you any refund of the additional charges you should grab it with both hands and say you were fortunate and the network has actually been generous and more than fair.

If you've exceeded your pro-rata allowance in the shortened period up to you first bundle date on your new contract you can expect a large first bill on that one too. Even if you haven't it will be higher than a normal month, which you would expect if you understood how contracts work (and you shouldn't expect your new provider to explain that to you either).
    Last edited by mobilejunkie; 12-03-2018 at 10:33 AM.
    • redux
    • By redux 12th Mar 18, 10:31 AM
    • 18,242 Posts
    • 24,133 Thanks
    redux
    The thing is, I had already paid for the full month line rental. I didn't expect O2 to refund any of that - as far as I was aware I could make use of my usual full allowance. Had I known they would refund it, I could have ported my number over to Vodafone about 9/10 days earlier and got a larger refund for the line rental. But because I had already paid for the month up front, I thought I would make the most out of it and at least make use of my data allowance. As soon as I received the text message telling me I had used 80% of my monthly allowance, my number was ported to Vodafone the following day.

Then I get a bill for over 100 for apparently going massively over the data allowance as they subsequently opted to refund the line rental and apply a pro-rata rate to the data allowance!

Don't get me wrong - I've never had any issues with O2 in the 10 or so years that I had a contract with them. But I find this extremely unfair.
    The contract ends on the day that you chose, by using the PAC to transfer out.

They can't charge you line rental after the end of the contract. Note that there may be 30 days notice to end some contracts, but use of the PAC overrides this and cancels on that day.

They have charged pro rata for part of a month, and the included bundle is also proportionalised.

As we've already said, explain your misunderstanding of this to them, and perhaps there could be a goodwill refund of part of the charge.
    • RallyJ
    • By RallyJ 12th Mar 18, 12:05 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    RallyJ
    I would at least ask beforehand. Why do you think you have to give 30 days' notice? If the end of the 30 days falls mid-bundle date (which it will at least 29 out of 30 times) you can't expect to get a full months' allowance. Apart from anything else, it's common sense. It's also the same with all monthly mobile contracts and is a pretty obvious calculation. It's also the same when you start a contract, between the start date and the first bundle date.
    Originally posted by mobilejunkie
    That's the thing...I didn't get 30 days. I had requested the PAC a couple of days into the new month's billing period. I assumed that the contract/services would effectively end at the next billing period as I had already paid up to that point. Hence why I wanted to make use of the allowance and didn't use the PAC code until after I received the text telling me I was nearing my data limit. (I could have use the PAC straight away as my new contract had already started.)

Anyway, we're going around in circles now. It is what it is. Appreciate all the information but I still stand by what I said - I had paid for the month and expected to avail of that month's allowance.

Please remember not all of us are 'mobile junkies' and know these fine details. Obviously I'll remember this in the future and hopefully the thread helps others too.
    • RallyJ
    • By RallyJ 12th Mar 18, 12:06 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    RallyJ
    They can't charge you line rental after the end of the contract. Note that there may be 30 days notice to end some contracts, but use of the PAC overrides this and cancels on that day.
    Originally posted by redux
    That explains that then. Thank you.
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 12th Mar 18, 12:42 PM
    • 7,753 Posts
    • 2,511 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    That's the thing...I didn't get 30 days. I had requested the PAC a couple of days into the new month's billing period. I assumed that the contract/services would effectively end at the next billing period as I had already paid up to that point. Hence why I wanted to make use of the allowance and didn't use the PAC code until after I received the text telling me I was nearing my data limit. (I could have use the PAC straight away as my new contract had already started.)

Anyway, we're going around in circles now. It is what it is. Appreciate all the information but I still stand by what I said - I had paid for the month and expected to avail of that month's allowance.

Please remember not all of us are 'mobile junkies' and know these fine details. Obviously I'll remember this in the future and hopefully the thread helps others too.
    You can stand by anything you like; it doesn't make your position right. Regarding not getting your 30 days - that would depend on when you exercised the PAC; you'd pay for it regardless. It seems you've learned very little. As for mobile junkies - I started somewhere and worked out what I was doing before embarking on my first contract - not 10 years afterwards.
    • RallyJ
    • By RallyJ 12th Mar 18, 12:47 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    RallyJ
    You can stand by anything you like; it doesn't make your position right. Regarding not getting your 30 days - that would depend on when you exercised the PAC; you'd pay for it regardless. It seems you've learned very little. As for mobile junkies - I started somewhere and worked out what I was doing before embarking on my first contract - not 10 years afterwards.
    Good for you.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 12th Mar 18, 4:29 PM
    • 8,537 Posts
    • 6,317 Thanks
    pmduk
    If you 've learned nothing from this experience, please keep track of your usage against the network's stated allowance. That would have avoided the whole situation. All of the main networks allow you to do this.
    • RallyJ
    • By RallyJ 12th Mar 18, 4:43 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    RallyJ
    If you 've learned nothing from this experience, please keep track of your usage against the network's stated allowance. That would have avoided the whole situation. All of the main networks allow you to do this.
    Originally posted by pmduk
    I always have done. My monthly bills were never any more than 25/30. I didn't do anything different on this occasion. As explained earlier I switched networks as soon as I received the text from O2 telling me I had used 80% of my data for that month. Unfortunately I didn't know they would refund the remaining line rental and apply a pro rata rate once I used the PAC code. So the 80% data usage changed to approx 160% at that point.
    • RallyJ
    • By RallyJ 14th Mar 18, 11:37 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    RallyJ
    I'm happy to report that O2 has scrapped this data charge in its entirety.

Thank you, O2.
    • Kernel Sanders
    • By Kernel Sanders 15th Mar 18, 4:25 PM
    • 3,294 Posts
    • 1,336 Thanks
    Kernel Sanders
    Had you read through either the t&c or the information on this forum first you wouldn't be crying over spilt milk now.
    Does it say in those T & Cs that it would be pro-rated if you gave them early notification of your intention to end the contract?
    • es5595
    • By es5595 15th Mar 18, 5:07 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    es5595
    I'm happy to report that O2 has scrapped this data charge in its entirety.

Thank you, O2.
    Thank you for coming back to update your thread.

Sorry about all the negativity on here, I'm sure they're lovely people and they don't mean to be so rude and arrogant, or just don't realise how they come across.

I understood what you were saying, and your comprehension, perfectly well, and obviously O2 did, hence why they've given you a full refund.
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 15th Mar 18, 8:15 PM
    • 7,753 Posts
    • 2,511 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    Does it say in those T & Cs that it would be pro-rated if you gave them early notification of your intention to end the contract?
    Originally posted by Kernel Sanders
    I have no idea since it isn't worth looking. A bundle date for a lesser period means a lesser cost BUT a leeser allowance. It's not rocket science, though apparently to you it is.
    • stragglebod
    • By stragglebod 15th Mar 18, 8:48 PM
    • 132 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    stragglebod
    I have no idea since it isn't worth looking. A bundle date for a lesser period means a lesser cost BUT a leeser allowance. It's not rocket science, though apparently to you it is.
    But the OP had already paid the line rental for the full month.

I've seen a few contracts that do this; the bill you get at the start of January covers January's rental, but December's out-of-bundle usage.

I'd agree with you if the line rental was paid in arrears, and when you think about it you should get the same outcome whether you pay the rental in advance or arrears, but I can see why people might think that because they've paid for the full month, they'll get the full month's bundle, even if the connection is cancelled half way through.
    • RallyJ
    • By RallyJ 15th Mar 18, 8:59 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    RallyJ
    It's not rocket science, though apparently to you it is.
    That's twice you've said the same ignorant sentence within this thread. Once directed at me and now once directed at someone else. There's absolutely no need to be so rude. It's about time you stopped studying mobile phone contacts and started trying to acquire some good manners. It's not rocket science. No really, it isn't.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 15th Mar 18, 11:27 PM
    • 8,537 Posts
    • 6,317 Thanks
    pmduk

I've seen a few contracts that do this; the bill you get at the start of January covers January's rental, but December's out-of-bundle usage.
    Originally posted by stragglebod
    I can't think of any mobile phone contracts that aren't done this way.
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 16th Mar 18, 7:51 AM
    • 7,753 Posts
    • 2,511 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    But the OP had already paid the line rental for the full month.

I'd agree with you if the line rental was paid in arrears, and when you think about it you should get the same outcome whether you pay the rental in advance or arrears, but I can see why people might think that because they've paid for the full month, they'll get the full month's bundle, even if the connection is cancelled half way through.
    Originally posted by stragglebod
    You can't stop people making incorrect assumptions, even if it's against logic and the way a contract actually works. They sometimes also go wrong by not realising they end up in credit later when a full month has been paid for and the contract terminated part way through the month they have paid for in advance - which is precisely how all monthly contracts work. That and a lot of other things are missed and cause problems later - like not putting a sim pin on and a phone security pin as soon as the sim/or phone arrives. It's all avoidable and bucking against the reality of how contracts work is shooting yourself in the foot.

In English law, ignorance is no defence when things go wrong and caveat emptor is the starting point.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

174Posts Today

1,637Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Penalty yes but time someone was sent off for these wrestling moves #WorldCup

• Follow Martin