Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • RallyJ
    • By RallyJ 9th Mar 18, 9:41 AM
    • 12Posts
    • 6Thanks
    RallyJ
    Large O2 'data call' charge
    • 9th Mar 18, 9:41 AM
    Large O2 'data call' charge 9th Mar 18 at 9:41 AM
    I have 8Gb data with my O2 contract but just received a bill charging me over 100 for "data calls" or "gprs calls" as they are called elsewhere on the bill. I hadn't gone over the 8Gb limit so this is separate to the regular data usage.

Can anyone enlighten me as to how this can happen? I'm coming towards the end of a two-year contract and all of my other bills have been around 15/20/25 in total. Now all of a sudden I have a bill of over 100 purely for these data calls.

I checked the days when these 'calls' were incurred and I was at or near home, so I don't think I was doing anything unusual.

Does anyone have any advice?
Page 1
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 9th Mar 18, 9:42 AM
    • 33,063 Posts
    • 38,626 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 9th Mar 18, 9:42 AM
    • 9th Mar 18, 9:42 AM
    Have you rang them to ask why and how ?
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • RallyJ
    • By RallyJ 9th Mar 18, 10:11 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    RallyJ
    • 9th Mar 18, 10:11 AM
    • 9th Mar 18, 10:11 AM
    Would like to get some info about what exactly 'data calls' are before I do!
    • d123
    • By d123 9th Mar 18, 11:07 AM
    • 7,219 Posts
    • 4,658 Thanks
    d123
    • 9th Mar 18, 11:07 AM
    • 9th Mar 18, 11:07 AM
    Would like to get some info about what exactly 'data calls' are before I do!
    Originally posted by RallyJ
    GPRS calls is old fashioned data usage.

Here's an old thread:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=700245
    ====
    • Forwandert
    • By Forwandert 9th Mar 18, 11:17 AM
    • 1,027 Posts
    • 1,133 Thanks
    Forwandert
    • 9th Mar 18, 11:17 AM
    • 9th Mar 18, 11:17 AM
    If it was normal data 02 usually restrict you when you get to your limit so you buy a bolt on from my experience. Have you tried logging onto the 02 app see If if you can get more information on there?
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 9th Mar 18, 12:51 PM
    • 8,158 Posts
    • 5,903 Thanks
    esuhl
    • 9th Mar 18, 12:51 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 12:51 PM
    Isn't GPRS dial-up access, where you'd get charged per minute, instead of the new always-on connection where you are billed by data use?

IIRC, dial-up internet access isn't covered by inclusive data allowances and is charged as a phone call (just like dial-up internet on a PC).
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 9th Mar 18, 1:01 PM
    • 4,192 Posts
    • 9,426 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    • 9th Mar 18, 1:01 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 1:01 PM
    GPRS (often shows as "G" on the phone display) is mobile data that is from before Edge. It is not dialup, it uses GSM band frequencies.

Why the OP got charged for it is a mystery that I suspect only O2 can solve.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • RallyJ
    • By RallyJ 9th Mar 18, 9:08 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    RallyJ
    • 9th Mar 18, 9:08 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 9:08 PM
    OK, here's the explanation...

I switched from O2 to Vodafone approximately 10 days after my billing date. I had already paid O2 for the full month line rental in advance, as I think most people do.

When I changed providers, O2 subsequently refunded me for the line rental that I didn't use in that particular month. And because they did that, they also applied a "pro rata" rate to my monthly allowance of 8Gb data. So instead of having 8Gb allowance, they have only permitted me to have something like 3.2Gb. I used 7.5Gb.

So while they refunded me approx 12 for the line rental I effectively didn't have, they have charged me 110 for the 'extra data' that I used over and above the pro rata 3.2Gb amount.

Not one bit impressed. I would have switched to Vodafone earlier had I known that would happen. (The Vodafone account started one day into the next month of the O2 contract.) I decided to keep using the O2 account for a week or so as I'd already paid for the monthly line rental in advance and thought I may as well get some use out of it!

I never expected any sort of refund on the line rental but to automatically refund part of it and then charge me over 100 for using data after calculating the allowance on a pro rata basis is a joke. If they were going to do that, they should have explained that to me when I requested the PAC code.

O2 has forwarded my query to another department and I've been asked to call them back after five working days...
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 10th Mar 18, 8:09 AM
    • 7,723 Posts
    • 2,487 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    • 10th Mar 18, 8:09 AM
    • 10th Mar 18, 8:09 AM
    Nothing unusual or unfair in that. Pro-rata is done at the start and end of every single contract with every single network. It's pretty basic and easily avoided.
    • redux
    • By redux 10th Mar 18, 9:21 AM
    • 18,116 Posts
    • 23,925 Thanks
    redux
    Your description sounds like using almost all the monthly allowance in 40% of the time. If you'd stayed and used 20GB the damage might have been even worse.

It would be about the same if there was an allowance of 500 minutes of calls, and someone about to leave made 450 minutes of calls in 12 days, when the pro rata entitlement would be 200 minutes.

Let's hope they can make some sort of goodwill reduction, based on you supposedly misunderstanding something, but if they get strictly pedantic about it it's true you've overused the allowance.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 10th Mar 18, 9:41 AM
    • 8,366 Posts
    • 6,183 Thanks
    pmduk
    Isn't GPRS dial-up access, where you'd get charged per minute, instead of the new always-on connection where you are billed by data use?
    Originally posted by esuhl
    You're confusing WAP with GPRS
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 10th Mar 18, 9:47 AM
    • 2,145 Posts
    • 1,194 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    Originally posted by pmduk
    Actually CSD or later with HSCSD on Orange or Ericom Ireland.
    Last edited by Inner Zone; 10-03-2018 at 1:32 PM.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 10th Mar 18, 9:52 AM
    • 2,113 Posts
    • 962 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Nothing unusual or unfair in that. Pro-rata is done at the start and end of every single contract with every single network. It's pretty basic and easily avoided.
    Originally posted by mobilejunkie
    How the hell do you work out that them changing his allowances just because they're leaving is fair? He was on a certain contract and should expect the same terms & conditions until the final day.
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 10th Mar 18, 1:10 PM
    • 7,723 Posts
    • 2,487 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    And the final day was... much shorter than the usual 30 days or so. Can't believe you don't understand that; it's exactly the same as when a new contract starts. It virtually NEVER starts on the bundle date nor ends on it.
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 10th Mar 18, 2:56 PM
    • 8,158 Posts
    • 5,903 Thanks
    esuhl
    Originally posted by pmduk
    No -- WAP's just a protocol. I might be confusing it with GSM. :-/
    • RallyJ
    • By RallyJ 11th Mar 18, 8:42 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    RallyJ
    The thing is, I had already paid for the full month line rental. I didn't expect O2 to refund any of that - as far as I was aware I could make use of my usual full allowance. Had I known they would refund it, I could have ported my number over to Vodafone about 9/10 days earlier and got a larger refund for the line rental. But because I had already paid for the month up front, I thought I would make the most out of it and at least make use of my data allowance. As soon as I received the text message telling me I had used 80% of my monthly allowance, my number was ported to Vodafone the following day.

Then I get a bill for over 100 for apparently going massively over the data allowance as they subsequently opted to refund the line rental and apply a pro-rata rate to the data allowance!

Don't get me wrong - I've never had any issues with O2 in the 10 or so years that I had a contract with them. But I find this extremely unfair.
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 12th Mar 18, 8:09 AM
    • 7,723 Posts
    • 2,487 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    They only unfair thing is moaning about the provider. You still have no idea how a mobile phone contract works and the onus on anyone entering any contract is on THEM to know exactly what they're signing up to. You also wouldn't have "saved" anything with the PAC; you still would have paid for 30 days from obtaining it and the pro-rata NORMAL calculation would still have been done - without "saving" a penny.

The only way of avoiding a pro-rata allocation of your bundle would be to give notice exactly 30 days before your bundle date. It's not rocket science, but it may as well have been for you.
    • RallyJ
    • By RallyJ 12th Mar 18, 9:04 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    RallyJ
    Let me know where you got your high horse from. Wouldn't mind getting one myself
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 12th Mar 18, 9:33 AM
    • 7,723 Posts
    • 2,487 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    Got mine from making sure I knew what I was doing beforehand. Afterwards I will attack the provide if they've done anything wrong. That keeps the horse happy as well as preventing me wasting my time raising my blood pressure instead of blaming myself should I mess up - as you have.

Had you read through either the t&c or the information on this forum first you wouldn't be crying over spilt milk now.
    • RallyJ
    • By RallyJ 12th Mar 18, 10:09 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    RallyJ
    I didn't think I was attacking the provider. That's certainly not the intention. As I said, I've never had any issues with them in 10 or so years. I'm unhappy with the fact I had paid for a month's line rental and then subsequently received a partial refund on that only to be told that because I only paid for part of the month (because of the refund!) that I would then have to pay over 100 extra because of the data that was used! Data which otherwise wouldn't have incurred any charge under normal circumstances.

Who is going to start reading T&C years after signing up to a contract or sift through a forum because they want to switch to a new provider? The more appropriate thing to do would be to inform a customer that they would receive a refund on any unused line rental and that a pro rata rate would be applied to their allowance at the time that they request a PAC code. That could have avoided everything.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,317Posts Today

5,838Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin