Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MulberryJ
    • By MulberryJ 9th Mar 18, 9:21 AM
    • 5Posts
    • 2Thanks
    MulberryJ
    SMART PARKING resonse time to appeal ?
    • 9th Mar 18, 9:21 AM
    SMART PARKING resonse time to appeal ? 9th Mar 18 at 9:21 AM
    Hi All,

I receieved a PCN a few weeks back from SMART PARKING, i have read the newbies thread and have used a template supplied to appeal.

My 28 days to appeal to POPLA is up on Monday and Smart have still not replied to my appeal.
    I have not even recieved any confirmation or correspondence to say my appeal has been recieved.

It has been 2 weeks since i appealed and if they do not respond to my appeal today (Friday) or over the weekend i will miss the opportunity to appeal to POPLA as the deadline is Monday.

I just wanted some advice on what my plan of action shall be ?

Shall i ring to confirm they have receieved my appeal ?

If i miss the POPLA deadline what next ?
Page 1
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 9th Mar 18, 9:39 AM
    • 9,209 Posts
    • 8,979 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 9th Mar 18, 9:39 AM
    Why not send another one marked "DUPLICATE"? Never telephone a PPC. Put everything in writing, if they take you to court you will then have a paper trail.

This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of contracts for alleged parking offences.

Parking Eye, Smart and a smaller company have already been named and shamed, as has Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (these two law firms take hundreds of these cases to court each year). They nearly always lose) and have been reported to the regulatory authority by an M.P.

The problem has become so rampant that MPs have agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers. Watch the video of the Second Reading in the HofC recently.

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/2f0384f2-eba5-4fff-ab07-cf24b6a22918?in=12:49:41

and complain in the most robust terms to your MP. With a fair wind most of these companies may well be put out of business by Christmas.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 9th Mar 18, 9:39 AM
    • 36,631 Posts
    • 82,981 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    You haven't missed out on PoPLA. You can't appeal to PoPLA unless the scammers have rejected your initial appeal and sent you a PoPLA code.

Wait until after day 35 from when the keeper appealed. If you haven't received a PoPLA code by a few days afterwards, complain to the BPA.

You did appeal as keeper didn't you, and not reveal the driver's identity? You need to go back and read the NEWBIES thread that tells you how to deal with this unregulated scam.
    Last edited by Fruitcake; 09-03-2018 at 9:45 AM.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • MulberryJ
    • By MulberryJ 9th Mar 18, 9:48 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    MulberryJ
    • 9th Mar 18, 9:48 AM
    • 9th Mar 18, 9:48 AM
    Thank you for your response,

Just to clarify.. do i have 28 days to appeal to POPLA from the day i receieve the code, not the day i receieved the PCN ?

I have read the newbies thread and did appeal as the keeper and did not reveal my identity nor who was driving the vehicle at the time.
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 9th Mar 18, 9:52 AM
    • 36,631 Posts
    • 82,981 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    • 9th Mar 18, 9:52 AM
    • 9th Mar 18, 9:52 AM
    Thank you for your response,

Just to clarify.. do i have 28 days to appeal to POPLA from the day i receieve the code, not the day i receieved the PCN ?

I have read the newbies thread and did appeal as the keeper and did not reveal my identity nor who was driving the vehicle at the time.
    Originally posted by MulberryJ
    The PoPLA code lasts for 32 days (although they tell you it's 28) from when you receive it (the code).

When you get it, create a draft appeal using all the relevant points from the NEWBIES and post it here for checking before you submit it.

Please do complain to your MP as T D has advised. It does have an effect.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • MulberryJ
    • By MulberryJ 9th Mar 18, 10:02 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    MulberryJ
    • 9th Mar 18, 10:02 AM
    • 9th Mar 18, 10:02 AM
    Thank you for the advice,

As the appeal process for Smart is all done online via their website, i do not have a paper trail myslef i just noted the date of when i sent the appeal. i will appeal again regardless.

I will certainly contact my local MP about this as this is not the first time i have received a PCN unfortunately the first time i was none the wiser and paid up!
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 9th Mar 18, 10:47 AM
    • 9,209 Posts
    • 8,979 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 9th Mar 18, 10:47 AM
    • 9th Mar 18, 10:47 AM
    As the appeal process for Smart is all done online via their website,

Are you saying that there us no facility for those without a computer to appeal? Age discrimination surely. If you do not have a paper trail, start one.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • MulberryJ
    • By MulberryJ 9th Mar 18, 10:55 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    MulberryJ
    • 9th Mar 18, 10:55 AM
    • 9th Mar 18, 10:55 AM
    There is an option to appeal via postage with a written letter, although the online appeal option makes them very much in control as you do not recieve a confirmation of appeal or a confirmation code, nor can i view my appeal once it has been sent.
    it seems you are left in the dark until they decide to respond!
    • nosferatu1001
    • By nosferatu1001 9th Mar 18, 11:20 AM
    • 2,491 Posts
    • 3,039 Thanks
    nosferatu1001
    • 9th Mar 18, 11:20 AM
    • 9th Mar 18, 11:20 AM
    So take screenshots.
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 9th Mar 18, 1:03 PM
    • 7,214 Posts
    • 6,717 Thanks
    KeithP
    Originally posted by MulberryJ
    I am wondering what did not reveal my identity means?

Surely you, as the registered keeper, confirmed this by including your name and address in the appeal - as advised in the NEWBIES thread?

Immediately below the blue appeal text in the NEWBIES thread it says:
    THE NAME AND POSTAL ADDRESS OF THE KEEPER GOES HERE.
    • MulberryJ
    • By MulberryJ 9th Mar 18, 1:17 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    MulberryJ
    i stated i was the registered keeper of the vehicle and provided my first inital and surname and address and email address in the boxes where i was required too
    • nosferatu1001
    • By nosferatu1001 9th Mar 18, 4:01 PM
    • 2,491 Posts
    • 3,039 Thanks
    nosferatu1001
    SO you did reveal your identity - that of the Keeper.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 9th Mar 18, 7:58 PM
    • 57,473 Posts
    • 71,073 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Nothing to worry about, Smart are 100% beatable by a keeper appellant at POPLA.

Patience, this will be over by Easter!
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

373Posts Today

5,093Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin