Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ordnancesurvey84
    • By ordnancesurvey84 9th Mar 18, 8:42 AM
    • 21Posts
    • 5Thanks
    ordnancesurvey84
    Direct Debits Not Being Paid Following Switch
    • 9th Mar 18, 8:42 AM
    Direct Debits Not Being Paid Following Switch 9th Mar 18 at 8:42 AM
    Hi,
    I've recently used the Current Account Switch Service to switch my current account from Santander to NatWest.
    The first expected direct debit went through as normal on 1st March, but the next three direct debits have all failed to go through.
    I spoke to NatWest about this. They told me that they would have sent out correspondence to all the companies that I pay by direct debit telling them to update my bank details, and that these three companies must not have done so, and that I should contact them myself.
    Is that how the switch service works with direct debits?
    I thought the system was supposed to automatically link my new account with the closed Santander account, such that when a company tries to request a direct debit using the closed account details, it seamlessly goes through to the new account instead. I didn't realise I'd have to call up the various companies who haven't acted upon a communication from NatWest to update their records!
Page 1
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 9th Mar 18, 9:28 AM
    • 20,117 Posts
    • 15,840 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 9th Mar 18, 9:28 AM
    • 9th Mar 18, 9:28 AM
    I don't actually know for sure how it works with DDs but the CASS site says this:

"If you're missing a Direct Debit and your switch is complete, contact your new bank. Remember all payments are covered by the Current Account Switch Guarantee and any charges or interest incurred on your old or new account as a result of the error will be refunded."

https://www.currentaccountswitch.co.uk/helpandsupport/Pages/help.aspx

I think you need to press NatWest further.
    • ordnancesurvey84
    • By ordnancesurvey84 9th Mar 18, 9:40 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    ordnancesurvey84
    • 9th Mar 18, 9:40 AM
    • 9th Mar 18, 9:40 AM
    Many thanks for that reply. The person I spoke to at NatWest didn't sound all that confident, so I didn't want to labour the point - but yes I may have to phone back later, or just call up these three companies (and possibly more later this month) to update them with my new details.
    But if anyone does know the mechanism by which direct debits are switched during the switching process - it'd be good to know!
    • ordnancesurvey84
    • By ordnancesurvey84 9th Mar 18, 1:40 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    ordnancesurvey84
    • 9th Mar 18, 1:40 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 1:40 PM
    Now my phone has been cut off due to non-payment of my monthly bill. This came into effect only an hour after calling the phone company and updating them with my new bank account details and being assured that the bill would simply roll over to the following month. This has been a hassle! And I have no idea if it is NatWest or the individual utility companies who are at fault.
    • ordnancesurvey84
    • By ordnancesurvey84 9th Mar 18, 1:41 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    ordnancesurvey84
    • 9th Mar 18, 1:41 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 1:41 PM
    I'm also concerned about the effect this will now have on my credit score. I have never missed a payment before, so I don't know what to expect.
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 9th Mar 18, 3:43 PM
    • 1,844 Posts
    • 1,703 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    • 9th Mar 18, 3:43 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 3:43 PM
    Your phone was cut off after one missed payment? That is extremely odd. Something doesn't add up here.
    • ordnancesurvey84
    • By ordnancesurvey84 9th Mar 18, 6:20 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    ordnancesurvey84
    • 9th Mar 18, 6:20 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 6:20 PM
    That's precisely what happened! I'm referring to my mobile phone - I'm a pay monthly customer of TPO. I received a text message from TPO earlier today saying "Unfortunately, your latest payment has failed, please contact us on tpouk.com/help to settle this and to unsuspend your TPO services. Thanks!"
    Anyway, it's up and running now, having paid by credit card instead, but this switch has been a bit of a mess!
    Last edited by ordnancesurvey84; 09-03-2018 at 6:20 PM. Reason: Grammatical error
    • telemarks
    • By telemarks 9th Mar 18, 6:50 PM
    • 161 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    telemarks
    • 9th Mar 18, 6:50 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 6:50 PM
    I thought the CASS service simple forwarded DD to your new account for 3 years? If so, not sure why this would fail.

I have noticed that post switch DD's do not show up in the new account, until the first time they are paid from that new account.
    • ordnancesurvey84
    • By ordnancesurvey84 9th Mar 18, 8:16 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    ordnancesurvey84
    • 9th Mar 18, 8:16 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 8:16 PM
    Hi telemarks -yes that's what I thought too - although I'd heard 13 months, rather than 3 years. I'm just not sure why apart from my council tax, all other direct debits have failed to go through. I don't know if the issue lies with NatWest, CASS or the individual utility companies not acting on information provided to them.
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 9th Mar 18, 8:42 PM
    • 1,844 Posts
    • 1,703 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    That's precisely what happened! I'm referring to my mobile phone - I'm a pay monthly customer of TPO. I received a text message from TPO earlier today saying "Unfortunately, your latest payment has failed, please contact us on tpouk.com/help to settle this and to unsuspend your TPO services. Thanks!"
    Anyway, it's up and running now, having paid by credit card instead, but this switch has been a bit of a mess!
    Originally posted by ordnancesurvey84
    So your telephone line wasn't cut off; you had your mobile service suspended until you paid the bill. That is quite different!

In relation to your initial comments about CASS, if a company claims a direct debit from the account that has been closed, that request is sent to the new account and the company is informed of the new account details. This service continues for 3 years. Sounds to me like NatWest have some explaining to do.
    • Ballard
    • By Ballard 10th Mar 18, 1:44 AM
    • 1,787 Posts
    • 1,525 Thanks
    Ballard
    I donít know exactly how direct debits are updated in this process but the gist of it is that a bank (whether old or new) will send a message to the originators bank (the originator being the company who issued the bill) giving your new account details.

The company should then acknowledge this by post.
    I got a letter from the government the other day. I opened it and read it. It said they were suckers.
    • ordnancesurvey84
    • By ordnancesurvey84 10th Mar 18, 7:45 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    ordnancesurvey84
    Many thanks for your responses! There seem to be some mixed views on whether or not the direct debit is seamlessly redirected by the closed bank to the new bank or whether the utility company has to manually update their records after being notified. I suspect the fault lies with NatWest purely because four out of five utility companies so far claim not to have been told about my new bank details, and indeed my direct debit payment to TPO actually failed, so there was no redirecting going on!
    I've done some googling, and apparently there should be no impact on my credit score - as my outstanding bill to TPO was paid within 30 days - is this right?
    • Westie983
    • By Westie983 10th Mar 18, 11:08 AM
    • 4,328 Posts
    • 14,888 Thanks
    Westie983
    I would speak to Natwest if you have used CASS, as they are the ones that you speak to now, not your old closed account. The redirection used to be 13 months and its now three years.

You are correct that if the companies asked the old bank for the money and its it claimed from the new account as part of the redirection.

You need to speak to Natwest and you shouldn't have to contact the companies yourself but it can be quicker to do so, but still speak to Natwest as they have the guarantee to protect you.

I am a little confused though as if your phone company asked for payment from your old bank as they didnt know about your new account details why it failed as they would have taken the funds from Natwest, the only way this may not happen is if you did a partial switch to Natwest and this doesn't use CASS.

Speak to Natwest and quote the guarantee already quoted below.

Westie983
    Save 12k in 2018 #10 Total (£25,000)+£10,000/£12,000 = 83.33%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~ 11 #97 Total (£410) + £40/£500 = 8.00% ( x 11)
    Xmas 2018 £1 a Day #2 Total £62.59/£365 = 17.14%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total £750/£1,000 = 75.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2018 #16 Total (£1,500)+-480/£2,000 = 51.00%

Total £11,872.59/£15,865 = 74.83%

I'm a Board Guide on Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Debt-Free Wannabe, Disability Money Matters, and Savings & Investments. I'm a volunteer helping the boards run smoothly, but I'm not a moderator, and do not read all posts. If you see an inappropriate/illegal post then email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • ordnancesurvey84
    • By ordnancesurvey84 10th Mar 18, 11:21 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    ordnancesurvey84
    Many thanks for your advice. I'll do that!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

144Posts Today

1,291Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin