Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chereb
    • By chereb 9th Mar 18, 7:26 AM
    • 22Posts
    • 4Thanks
    chereb
    Urgent advice needed
    • 9th Mar 18, 7:26 AM
    Urgent advice needed 9th Mar 18 at 7:26 AM
    My marriage has broken down and whilst in a very unhappy marriage (no excuse ) i have ammassed debts that are bad. I am currently in the family home which is in a joint mortgage. There are also debts in my husbands name and 72k all in. Going forward i am awaiting a house from the council ane the family home will be getting sold once i get something. In meantime he has agreed to cover mortgage payments. I am also disabled and unable to work so surving on benefits at the moment with nothing much left over to pay debts. I think my best prospect at the minute is to go bankrupt. So the house is worth 62k and there is 32k remaning on the mortgage. If the house is sold and the debts in ex name are cleared off and joint loan is it feesable for me after that to declare bankruptcy? Will they ask for money from the sale even if his debts are cleared with it?
Page 1
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 9th Mar 18, 7:35 AM
    • 12,245 Posts
    • 9,279 Thanks
    fatbelly
    • 9th Mar 18, 7:35 AM
    • 9th Mar 18, 7:35 AM
    My marriage has broken down and whilst in a very unhappy marriage (no excuse ) i have ammassed debts that are bad. I am currently in the family home which is in a joint mortgage. There are also debts in my husbands name and 72k all in. Going forward i am awaiting a house from the council ane the family home will be getting sold once i get something. In meantime he has agreed to cover mortgage payments. I am also disabled and unable to work so surving on benefits at the moment with nothing much left over to pay debts. I think my best prospect at the minute is to go bankrupt. So the house is worth 62k and there is 32k remaning on the mortgage. If the house is sold and the debts in ex name are cleared off and joint loan is it feesable for me after that to declare bankruptcy? Will they ask for money from the sale even if his debts are cleared with it?
    Originally posted by chereb
    I think for you, it's one step at a time.

Get your new accommodation.

Get the house sold. It sounds like there is 30k of equity - half of that is coming your way. The only debts automatically paid off on the sale of a house are mortgages and secured loans and charging orders.

Have a look at the situation then.

In the meantime if you have non-priority debts like unsecured loans, credit cards, overdrafts, catalogues, you could offer them 1 a month until the situation resolves.

It's far too early and we don't have the information, to discuss whether one particular strategy (there are many) might be suitable.

And you have no responsibility to pay husband's debts
    • chereb
    • By chereb 9th Mar 18, 7:48 AM
    • 22 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    chereb
    • 9th Mar 18, 7:48 AM
    • 9th Mar 18, 7:48 AM
    I would rather his were cleared because he still has a job to consider and also i feel resposnsible as its more my doing than his. You could say i have been buying myself happiness and looking back i spent to feel better. How would i go about making an offer of payment to credit cards? He did offer to pay mortgage until its paid off but realisticly whats to say he wouldnt fimd a partner dowm the line amd suddenly be unwilling to pay anymore. With his income i could afford the repayments but living of an overdraft now and it cant go on. Anyway my unsecured debt totals they would probably sell the house anyway and then either way i would still be doing what i am now.

There are no secured debts on the property either all just credit cards.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 9th Mar 18, 8:13 AM
    • 37,227 Posts
    • 156,855 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 9th Mar 18, 8:13 AM
    • 9th Mar 18, 8:13 AM
    How long could it take to be given a council home? Can you continue in the family home until it happens?

If you use your 15k share of the house sale to go towards his debts, leaving your debts unpaid, that won't look good if you go bankrupt soon after. You risk it being thought that you prioritised some debts over others. In fact if they weren't your debts it will look like you gave money to your ex rather than pay towards your own debts.

I think you should sort out your housing situation and your split from your ex before considering the next steps.
    • chereb
    • By chereb 9th Mar 18, 9:32 AM
    • 22 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    chereb
    • 9th Mar 18, 9:32 AM
    • 9th Mar 18, 9:32 AM
    It will be at least 6 months before i am rehoused. I can afford to payvery little at the moment. I have even considered taking a 24k secured loan and repaying some if each debts and the joint ones. Then applying to the buy back for rent scheme to try and keep a roof over myself and childrens head. Im really in a bad place at the moment. I have no family to call on and nobody to talk to. I am at the end of my rope.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 9th Mar 18, 11:17 AM
    • 37,227 Posts
    • 156,855 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 9th Mar 18, 11:17 AM
    • 9th Mar 18, 11:17 AM
    Are you claiming all that you are entitled to? including SMI (support Mortgage Interest)?
    • chereb
    • By chereb 9th Mar 18, 1:41 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    chereb
    • 9th Mar 18, 1:41 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 1:41 PM
    Are you claiming all that you are entitled to? including SMI (support Mortgage Interest)?
    Originally posted by silvercar
    What is SMI? I have not heard of that.
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 9th Mar 18, 3:36 PM
    • 12,245 Posts
    • 9,279 Thanks
    fatbelly
    • 9th Mar 18, 3:36 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 3:36 PM
    If you use your 15k share of the house sale to go towards his debts, leaving your debts unpaid, that won't look good if you go bankrupt soon after. You risk it being thought that you prioritised some debts over others. In fact if they weren't your debts it will look like you gave money to your ex rather than pay towards your own debts.
    The official receiver might try to recover the 15k from your ex!

It will be at least 6 months before i am rehoused. I can afford to payvery little at the moment. I have even considered taking a 24k secured loan.
    Please don't - I don't think you would be able to, at least not with a reputable company. The danger would be that some lowlife lender might take advantage.

What is SMI? I have not heard of that.
    Support for mortgage interest - the rules are changing but it's a better opion that going into arrears.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 9th Mar 18, 5:12 PM
    • 37,227 Posts
    • 156,855 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 9th Mar 18, 5:12 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 5:12 PM
    SMI:

https://www.gov.uk/support-for-mortgage-interest
    • chereb
    • By chereb 10th Mar 18, 12:20 AM
    • 22 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    chereb
    It looks like you have to take it as a loan and they add interest as well so that would be adding tonthe problem.
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 10th Mar 18, 6:17 AM
    • 12,245 Posts
    • 9,279 Thanks
    fatbelly
    It looks like you have to take it as a loan and they add interest as well .
    From April that is correct. In your situation It might benefit your husband (because it would mean he didn't have to fork out each month) but it would reduce the equity in the property.

So while he is paying the full instalments, SMI doesn't really benefit you.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 10th Mar 18, 9:04 AM
    • 37,227 Posts
    • 156,855 Thanks
    silvercar
    So while he is paying the full instalments, SMI doesn't really benefit you.
    If the mortgage was taken care of, he would have more money spare to clear debts.
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 10th Mar 18, 1:37 PM
    • 12,245 Posts
    • 9,279 Thanks
    fatbelly
    If the mortgage was taken care of, he would have more money spare to clear debts.
    his debts.

Less equity share for the OP
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 10th Mar 18, 2:42 PM
    • 2,852 Posts
    • 2,059 Thanks
    Tarambor
    Going forward i am awaiting a house from the council ane the family home will be getting sold once i get something.
    You are extremely unlikely to be offered council housing whilst you own a house and live in it unless you're suffering domestic violence. Councils only have an obligation to house homeless people and they don't have to house people who have made themselves intentionally homeless such as from selling a house or not paying the mortgage/rent and being evicted. With there being far far more people wanting council accommodation than councils have and many of them actually being homeless and not of their own making they come way up the list. You could easily find yourself on the waiting list for a decade or more.
    Last edited by Tarambor; 10-03-2018 at 2:45 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,526Posts Today

8,137Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin