Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 9th Mar 18, 5:37 AM
    • 3,061Posts
    • 42,121Thanks
    nmlc
    O/S Daily Friday 9th March 2018
    • 9th Mar 18, 5:37 AM
    O/S Daily Friday 9th March 2018 9th Mar 18 at 5:37 AM
    O/S Daily Friday 9th March 2018

This is an !!!8220;over the garden fence!!!8221; type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It!!!8217;s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we!!!8217;re going to do today or what we!!!8217;ve achieved already. Everyone!!!8217;s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn!!!8217;t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don!!!8217;t post large pictures, or clip art !!!8211; links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don!!!8217;t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Still dark, dry underfoot, no frost.

DH up and gone to work stupid early, both boys still in their pits as DS1 using up last of his annual leave today and Monday and DS2 doesn't have college on Fridays.

Dinner last night was lovely pork steaks, roasties, carrots, brussels, broc and gravy, last xmas pud and custard from the store cupboard for those that wanted some. Tonight will be liver, bacon, sausage, chips, peas and gravy.

Yesterday wasn't as productive as I'd hoped, but some things did get done, washing and drying, today I need to continue with that and get the ironing done, do the food shopping and do some housework. I spent most of the day at mum's again yesterday, she was quite muddled.

I have engineer coming out to look at the fridge freezer, it's developed the same fault we had with it about a year ago, that supposedly was fixed, the engineer then said they could only fit one part which he did and that seemed to do the trick but now it's gone wrong again, not sure what they are going to do but it's only 4 years old, could do without having buy another one. We'll see.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    Last edited by nmlc; 09-03-2018 at 5:50 AM.
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
Page 2
    • poppy811
    • By poppy811 9th Mar 18, 10:08 AM
    • 76 Posts
    • 1,072 Thanks
    poppy811
    Hi everyone,
    Thank you all so much for all your kind comments. I am still learning to live alone (my DH died 18 months ago) and I miss being able to talk things through with him but you all help so much. My plan today is to clean the lounge, get my hair cut and do a small shop. I need to get the ingredients for scotch pancakes with creme fraiche and blueberries as my contribution for Mothers Day brunch.
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 9th Mar 18, 10:09 AM
    • 12,427 Posts
    • 39,682 Thanks
    Nelski
    Morning

What a gorgeous day...sun is beating down (well almost) and its 9 already. Life looks so much better through sun glasses thats for sure Stripped the bed this morning and will be hanging that out soon first time this year for me fingers crossed I am not jumping the gun...visions of solid duvet covers

Up and dressed early this morning as at some point this morning I have to make a video of me training to send to a new customer I cant stand ordinary pictures of me so the thought of having to see and hear me fills me with utter dread but needs must and its only for 5 mins.

Sugar cut down is killing me I just want to snaffle a whole cake with extra butter cream. Jackie I understand your biscuit craving now I think I would kill for a ginger nut

Food today will be.....one sec......beef in red wine just grabbed out of the freezer, first grab was a apple crumble which was cruel but I resisted Boiled eggs for lunch trying to avoid the cooker atm as the seal has gone on it and cant get anyone to come and fix it so 250 is equivalent to 180 according to my thermostat goodness knows how much leccy that is wasting

Need to nip to Asda for salad stuff and fruit soon but hopefully will be a cheap one

Right should stop doing anything but this video and get on with it.

Holly aw love i'm sorry they are messing you around again. Keep talking to us you know we all worry about you.

Elona enjoy your Waldorf trip

nanny sorry about dinner I got stuck in the snow

dumpling hope all works out with steves job and you can get some more time with him

Gers happy birthday to your mum hope all the plans come together
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 9th Mar 18, 11:00 AM
    • 738 Posts
    • 9,909 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Morning all.
    Just returned from the hospital appointment, why do they give everyone the same time ? Luckily Mr Fix It was second in, so it wasn't too bad. He currently has saucer eyes so is stuck in the recliner until lunch. He plans to go up to his shed after lunch, to do a bit more on DGD's Barbie wardrobe. Unfortunately he's a bit of a stickler for perfection, so everything has to be right, unlike me who will throw it all in and hope it comes out ok .
    My plans for today - clothes washing, stripping the bed, emptying the DW, remaking the bed and cleaning the bedroom. I also want to finish sorting the craft stuff and DGC's toys, left hanging since Wednesday.
    Tea tonight will be oven chips and gammon slices found in the freezer, so an easy meal .
    Seems like there are lots of you on here having a hard / difficult time for one reason or another, so I offer my support and lots of hugs.
    Holly rant away at anytime xx
    Dumpling Happy Birthday to your DD for tomorrow. (in case I forget )
    Mehefin Hi I don't usually have much worth saying, but it doesn't stop me from rabbiting on .
    Nelski and JackieO look away now as I'm going to have a coffee and a ginger biscuit, or two . Sorry !
    Sending healing vibes to the poorly and gentle hugs to anyone who needs / wants some. Take care all.
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 9th Mar 18, 11:41 AM
    • 1,602 Posts
    • 19,012 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    Just a quick pop in to say hello to mehefin
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • Elona
    • By Elona 9th Mar 18, 11:54 AM
    • 185 Posts
    • 2,055 Thanks
    Elona
    Nice sunny day today so washing is about to be hung outside on the washing line for the first time in ages.

Made a low fat brunch and loaded the dishwasher and just about to tidy the kitchen before cleaner comes round for the first time for three weeks.

I want to go for a decent size walk later this afternoon and maybe shop for fruit and veg.

Holly

I am so sorry you have been left in limbo and hope your gp can make everyone see sense and reassure you.

Middle dd has just e mailed me and asked if I have any plans for tomorrow so that sounds interesting and I see dd and sil on Sunday so not sure what the plans are.

Hugs to all
    • Judi
    • By Judi 9th Mar 18, 12:53 PM
    • 16,122 Posts
    • 70,102 Thanks
    Judi
    Poppy i see you have found the widows thread over in the over 50s section. I'm not a widow but do pop over there from time to time.

Such a rich source of support and friendship on one thread.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • Judi
    • By Judi 9th Mar 18, 1:44 PM
    • 16,122 Posts
    • 70,102 Thanks
    Judi
    Nanny please tell me. What are saucer eyes?
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 9th Mar 18, 1:57 PM
    • 738 Posts
    • 9,909 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Judi Mr Fix It had a retinopathy appointment, this includes eye drops which enlarge the pupils so that a photograph of the back of the eye can be taken. So when you look at the pupil it looks unusually huge "as big as a saucer", well to me anyway. Usually they go back to looking normal within the hour but today it took much longer. HTH
    TA sorry forgot to say " Go Margot Go !"
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 9th Mar 18, 2:16 PM
    • 1,468 Posts
    • 14,668 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Four people are here doing a mental health act assessment. They have gone to sit in their car to decide whether or not to take me in now, as in right this minute. I am so upset it unbelievable. I think this must have been decided yesterday at the meeting so my GP must have known.
    • Judi
    • By Judi 9th Mar 18, 2:18 PM
    • 16,122 Posts
    • 70,102 Thanks
    Judi
    Thanks for the update Nanny.

Holly Section 2 again?
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 9th Mar 18, 2:23 PM
    • 10,474 Posts
    • 114,376 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Holly (((HUGS))) and strength vibes, hun. x
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • Judi
    • By Judi 9th Mar 18, 2:27 PM
    • 16,122 Posts
    • 70,102 Thanks
    Judi
    I think this must have been decided yesterday at the meeting so my GP must have known.
    Originally posted by Hollyharvey
    Not necessarily they are deciding now.

I'm not a medical professional and giving advice on the board is against the rules but all i can say is please dont let your actions warrant them assessing you as a section 3.
    • atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 9th Mar 18, 2:30 PM
    • 2,860 Posts
    • 20,050 Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    Delurking to send love and strength to Hollyharvey xx
    MFW
    Mortgage 8.2.15 - £171,064.64 Mortgage 1.5.2018 - £99,980.45
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 9th Mar 18, 3:06 PM
    • 1,468 Posts
    • 14,668 Thanks
    Hollyharvey

Holly Section 2 again?
    Originally posted by Judi
    I think so, they haven't said. The two doctors don't agree one says I should be sectioned one says no so they are unusually getting a third one. They are sitting outside so I can't get out and run away again.
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 9th Mar 18, 3:17 PM
    • 3,976 Posts
    • 27,154 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    It amazes me that these so called Professionals can't or won't see what all this is doing to your mental health. No wonder you are in such a state about it. ((HUGS)) Holly whatever the outcome is. xxx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • Gers
    • By Gers 9th Mar 18, 3:35 PM
    • 6,413 Posts
    • 40,556 Thanks
    Gers
    Just having five minutes away from the family!

Holly - hope all goes well.

Too many people here for my liking, Iím not really a people person. More of a person person.
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 9th Mar 18, 3:47 PM
    • 1,602 Posts
    • 19,012 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    Holly, just a huge hug
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • Judi
    • By Judi 9th Mar 18, 4:57 PM
    • 16,122 Posts
    • 70,102 Thanks
    Judi
    Thinking of you Holly whatever the outcome of the meeting was.

Well ive done well all things considering. I was hoping to fit a nap in somewhere but it didnt work out. Youngest is home and has just been yelled at for treading mud into the hall and through to the kitchen.... "Sorry" doesnt quite cover it when it will be the same on Monday when he comes home. All it takes is a little thoughtfulness. Good news though, he will be fully qualified in the summer. Actually, he's more qualified than his Dad but he doesnt have the experience that his Dad has got.

Tea is cooking though Grump wont be home for a couple of hours.

Have a good evening all.
    • RosyRed
    • By RosyRed 9th Mar 18, 6:14 PM
    • 1,753 Posts
    • 21,189 Thanks
    RosyRed
    Hugs Holly-thinking of you x
    'A woman is like a teabag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water'. (Eleanor Roosevelt)
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 9th Mar 18, 6:24 PM
    • 12,427 Posts
    • 39,682 Thanks
    Nelski
    Just a quick one to let you know that Holly has called me and she is now having to wait for transport and has social workers in her home with her now

She wanted everyone to know that she may not be able to access the internet or use her phone for a while now. Sadly they are taking her to another town not the hospital she is familiar with. She has a friend with her atm and hopefully she will be able to have some phone/internet contact even if it is limited.

Its heartbreaking to hear how understandably scared she is and I know everyone will send her lots of hugs which is just what she needs right now

xx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

411Posts Today

5,576Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin