Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • feelion
    • By feelion 9th Mar 18, 1:13 AM
    • 6Posts
    • 10Thanks
    feelion
    DBS document help
    • 9th Mar 18, 1:13 AM
    DBS document help 9th Mar 18 at 1:13 AM
    Hi,

I was hoping someone might be able to clarify what documents are allowed for a DBS check as it isn't very specific in government guidance. I am looking specifically at credit card statements within 3 months.

Basically I have my birth certificate and driving licence. I moved back home with the parents and after years of having documentation in my name, I have realised I don't have any letters at all in my name to this address. Meaning bills, statements etc. I have accepted a job and need to take my documentation in tomorrow and I am now concerned I don't have final document I need. All my statements are online, and I am advised these are not allowed if printed. I don't own a passport. I am disabled but my last DWP letter was September last year.
    My only hope is an annual credit card statement. The statement is not specifically dated but the statement summary period is of Feb '17 to Feb'18 and says this. The cut off is within the 3 months statements are requested to fall within.

I know I can supply a credit card statement but is an annual one ok?

I feel a bit embarrassed to have to ring to postpone dropping in my documents. Unfortunately the bank I use doesn't have a branch close by to ask to print one.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.
Page 1
    • Les79
    • By Les79 9th Mar 18, 1:37 AM
    • 259 Posts
    • 321 Thanks
    Les79
    • 9th Mar 18, 1:37 AM
    • 9th Mar 18, 1:37 AM
    Take it with you and try it. If they decline then just apologise and say you can drop it in next week. Then go to your bank and obtain new documents.

You should have sorted all of this out much sooner than the night before. More so when you post at 1:13am!! You're lucky to get a reply off me, let alone anyone else....
    • feelion
    • By feelion 9th Mar 18, 2:00 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    feelion
    • 9th Mar 18, 2:00 AM
    • 9th Mar 18, 2:00 AM
    Hi,

Well firstly thank you for your input and response, especially as it would appear such a grand gensture. The thank you is sincere.

As for the patronising element, I would suggest not jumping to conclusions in an attempt to help someone and belittling them in equal measure. It would be nice to prepared and have done it sooner, but I was only offered the job this late afternoon, by which time my bank was closed. As to why I ask writing so late, it!!!8217;s that unfortunate disability of mine. You see I burnt out after a day of interviews and doctors appointments and went to bed after taking my pain killers. Overexcitment I guess.

I am actually in the ESA support group and so excited at being given this opportunity today, this afternoon, not giving me time to prepare. I jumped at the chance of returning my documents. I was hoping for reply, but not especially expecting one at this time.

Again I appreciate the advice, genuinely. In return, for the latter, kindness and not jumping to conclusions costs nothing. Try it one day.
    • _shel
    • By _shel 9th Mar 18, 6:38 AM
    • 1,183 Posts
    • 2,043 Thanks
    _shel
    • 9th Mar 18, 6:38 AM
    • 9th Mar 18, 6:38 AM
    Take it with you and try it. If they decline then just apologise and say you can drop it in next week. Then go to your bank and obtain new documents.

You should have sorted all of this out much sooner than the night before. More so when you post at 1:13am!! You're lucky to get a reply off me, let alone anyone else....
    Originally posted by Les79
    Why the hostility?
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 9th Mar 18, 6:53 AM
    • 8,519 Posts
    • 6,294 Thanks
    pmduk
    • 9th Mar 18, 6:53 AM
    • 9th Mar 18, 6:53 AM
    More so when you post at 1:13am!! You're lucky to get a reply off me, let alone anyone else....
    Originally posted by Les79
    If you can't post in a more positive mood, you might be better leaving it to the next morning.

OP, the DWP are usually happy to produce what they call a Benefit Award Letter, which takes 2-3 days to arrive.
    • anamenottaken
    • By anamenottaken 9th Mar 18, 9:04 AM
    • 4,146 Posts
    • 3,632 Thanks
    anamenottaken
    • 9th Mar 18, 9:04 AM
    • 9th Mar 18, 9:04 AM
    If you can't post in a more positive mood, you might be better leaving it to the next morning.

OP, the DWP are usually happy to produce what they call a Benefit Award Letter, which takes 2-3 days to arrive.
    Originally posted by pmduk
    That reminds me that I was helping someone with obtaining proof to open a bank account and the local JobCentre were willing to print off a letter for him in the branch. So may be even quicker to obtain.
    • Les79
    • By Les79 9th Mar 18, 10:49 AM
    • 259 Posts
    • 321 Thanks
    Les79
    • 9th Mar 18, 10:49 AM
    • 9th Mar 18, 10:49 AM
    Hi,

Well firstly thank you for your input and response, especially as it would appear such a grand gensture. The thank you is sincere.
    Originally posted by feelion
    You're welcome Did my advice RE: you taking in the monthly statement you have help?

(yes, I'm aware of the sarcastic element of your post)

As for the patronising element, I would suggest not jumping to conclusions in an attempt to help someone and belittling them in equal measure.
    Huh?! I wasn't patronising you, I was pointing out that you are making the post @ 1:13 am on a UK forum and the documents are due in tomorrow. That's not leaving you with much time to gather your documents, nor is it leaving you much time to receive a reply because people aren't generally up at that time (note how _shel only responded @ 06:38 which was a useless post for you).

Sorry if you, and everyone else, are offended with that but that's just a fact of life. Deal with it.

It would be nice to prepared and have done it sooner, but I was only offered the job this late afternoon, by which time my bank was closed.
    Fair enough. Seems like you might be able to negotiate the time in which you provide the documents if that's the case.

Again I appreciate the advice, genuinely. In return, for the latter, kindness and not jumping to conclusions costs nothing. Try it one day.
    Doesn't sound like you appreciate the advice, but hey ho.
    • Les79
    • By Les79 9th Mar 18, 10:52 AM
    • 259 Posts
    • 321 Thanks
    Les79
    • 9th Mar 18, 10:52 AM
    • 9th Mar 18, 10:52 AM
    Why the hostility?
    Originally posted by _shel
    There was no hostility. I gave some advice, then I stated a fact or two.

Maybe next time you could tag on some advice of your own for OP?
    • Les79
    • By Les79 9th Mar 18, 10:58 AM
    • 259 Posts
    • 321 Thanks
    Les79
    • 9th Mar 18, 10:58 AM
    • 9th Mar 18, 10:58 AM
    1. I'm under no obligation to make my posts in a "positive mood"

2. In OP's case here they were time-bound. They posted @ 1:13am for a DBS check due today.. I felt that it would have been more appropriate to post @ 1:37am rather than wait until this morning and run the risk that OP gets no advice before their DBS meeting.
    • feelion
    • By feelion 9th Mar 18, 12:08 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    feelion
    Thank-you everyone for your responses. I have rang this morning, and they believe my statement will be fine.

I have had one of these before. I think I may request another, just to have on hand. Thank-you.

That reminds me that I was helping someone with obtaining proof to open a bank account and the local JobCentre were willing to print off a letter for him in the branch. So may be even quicker to obtain.
    Originally posted by anamenottaken
    Ah our job centre is renowned for not really helping. They never seem to answer the phones. I think I may switch to paper statements for one account, so I have proof in the future.

Les, I am sorry if you feel you have been misinterpreted. Firstly my thank-you was genuine, I did appreciate the first part of your message. I can be thankful and still be in a position to stand up for myself. Offering guidance is not a license to then patronise someone, expect them to take it just because of the guidance.

You were patronising, but it was only a small matter, but I thought I would still defend myself. You may not have realised it, or intended it, but unfortunately that is how myself, and others read your post. Patronising someone is acting in a superior manner. You offered advice and then chose to attempt to scold me like a child, and then later defend this with the oldest excuse in the book 'pointing out facts'. The advice would have sufficed, not a misinformed life lesson. I can read the time, and know what time folks generally go to bed. Also I had posted here, so I obviously knew how little time I had. My appointment is this afternoon. So although I wasn't expecting a response after 1am, I thought I might be offered some good suggestions this morning to wake up to, and I was.

Thanks everyone again.
    Last edited by feelion; 09-03-2018 at 12:10 PM. Reason: mistype
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 9th Mar 18, 1:36 PM
    • 3,184 Posts
    • 6,302 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Best of luck to you, feelion. Please come back and tell us how it went.

At the risk of sounding patronising when this is in no way intended, a bloody great, big Well Done to you for getting this job.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 9th Mar 18, 1:41 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    Comms69
    Thank-you everyone for your responses. I have rang this morning, and they believe my statement will be fine.

I have had one of these before. I think I may request another, just to have on hand. Thank-you.

Ah our job centre is renowned for not really helping. They never seem to answer the phones. I think I may switch to paper statements for one account, so I have proof in the future.

Les, I am sorry if you feel you have been misinterpreted. Firstly my thank-you was genuine, I did appreciate the first part of your message. I can be thankful and still be in a position to stand up for myself. Offering guidance is not a license to then patronise someone, expect them to take it just because of the guidance.

You were patronising, but it was only a small matter, but I thought I would still defend myself. You may not have realised it, or intended it, but unfortunately that is how myself, and others read your post. Patronising someone is acting in a superior manner. You offered advice and then chose to attempt to scold me like a child, and then later defend this with the oldest excuse in the book 'pointing out facts'. The advice would have sufficed, not a misinformed life lesson. I can read the time, and know what time folks generally go to bed. Also I had posted here, so I obviously knew how little time I had. My appointment is this afternoon. So although I wasn't expecting a response after 1am, I thought I might be offered some good suggestions this morning to wake up to, and I was.

Thanks everyone again.
    You got free advice (which was correct) - get over it.
    • feelion
    • By feelion 9th Mar 18, 2:31 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    feelion
    Thanks everyone. Meeting went great.

As for the get over it comment. I thanked the individual and defended my position. There are a lot of people who think they are entitled to be rude. Your put up or shut up attitude is disgraceful. I didnít ask for a life lesson nor to turn it into something.

Again thank you everyone.
    • Les79
    • By Les79 9th Mar 18, 7:11 PM
    • 259 Posts
    • 321 Thanks
    Les79
    Thanks everyone. Meeting went great.

As for the get over it comment. I thanked the individual and defended my position. There are a lot of people who think they are entitled to be rude. Your put up or shut up attitude is disgraceful. I didnít ask for a life lesson nor to turn it into something.

Again thank you everyone.
    I can't even be bothered replying!

I'll leave it at this; good luck in your new job role.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,144Posts Today

7,961Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: ...and mine suggested I'd achieved a lifelong ambition of being sawn in half by a magician - at our wedding. Wasn't. Don?

• We are working on it - I think BA has behaved awfully on this. Those flight were no obviously a glitch. It should? https://t.co/8pvtXtUEqi

• RT @thenicolabryant: Absolutely. We need mental health and financial health as advocated my @MartinSLewis , to be taught in schools. So muc?

• Follow Martin