Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kokolino23
    • By kokolino23 8th Mar 18, 11:05 PM
    • 98Posts
    • 16Thanks
    kokolino23
    dashcam police
    • 8th Mar 18, 11:05 PM
    dashcam police 8th Mar 18 at 11:05 PM
    I like when other people don't mind their own business... but am I wrong in this case ?!

My wife picked up our little one (aged 4) from school and even though we've got a car seat, somehow he managed to take the seat belt off... and sat up looking through the window.

My wife noticed that but she was caught in traffic therefore couldn't pull over and put him back in place.

Somebody caught the precious moment on their dashcam and in their wisdom, sent it to the police complaining about the danger she had exposed the child in traffic.

As a result, being the legal vehicle owner, I had a letter from the police, explaining that considering the circumstances, it's just a warning at this time but could've easily been a PCN.

I'd like to ignore it and move forward but I'm not happy because someone used a picture with our child without permission
Page 1
    • Money maker
    • By Money maker 8th Mar 18, 11:16 PM
    • 4,981 Posts
    • 11,320 Thanks
    Money maker
    • 8th Mar 18, 11:16 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 11:16 PM
    Dont ignore it, your child is old enough to understand not to take off their seatbelt. Enforce that with them. How lucky someone cared enough to try to prevent an accident to your child.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed.

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite!
    • irc
    • By irc 8th Mar 18, 11:27 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    irc
    • 8th Mar 18, 11:27 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 11:27 PM
    As far as I know there is no right of privacy in a public place. Anyone can take photographs.

"You don't need special permission to photograph children in a public place (so long as the pictures are not intended for commercial or illegal purposes),"

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/technique/expert_advice/street-photography-and-the-law-96304

So anyone can take photos of children in the street. The purpose in this case - child welfare - seems reasonable.

That said I'd say your wife did the correct thing. stopping in the wrong place could be more dangerous than a child being unrestrained for a short period of time.

In general I think dashcam users should mind their own business though and leave policing to the police except for serious incidents which this was not.

A warning letter could be thought of as the police showing the dashcam user action was being taken without troubling the criminal justice system. I'd try and forget about it.
    • d123
    • By d123 8th Mar 18, 11:48 PM
    • 7,219 Posts
    • 4,658 Thanks
    d123
    • 8th Mar 18, 11:48 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 11:48 PM
    I'd like to ignore it and move forward but I'm not happy because someone used a picture with our child without permission
    Originally posted by kokolino23
    As irc has said, no one needs your permission to film or take a photo of you, your wife, your child or your car in a public place.

If you don't like the idea, don't go out in public...
    ====
    • Korkyb
    • By Korkyb 9th Mar 18, 1:00 AM
    • 208 Posts
    • 97 Thanks
    Korkyb
    • 9th Mar 18, 1:00 AM
    • 9th Mar 18, 1:00 AM
    The person who sent the footage / picture to the police could not have known the circumstances around why your child was unrestrained in the car.

They saw a child in a potentially dangerous situation and IMHO acted responsibly.

Safeguarding children really is everyone's responsibility and turning a blind eye or "minding your own business" could miss a vital chance to highlight a child who really does need help.
    • Johno100
    • By Johno100 9th Mar 18, 7:28 AM
    • 3,723 Posts
    • 4,324 Thanks
    Johno100
    • 9th Mar 18, 7:28 AM
    • 9th Mar 18, 7:28 AM
    As irc has said, no one needs your permission to film or take a photo of you, your wife, your child or your car in a public place.

If you don't like the idea, don't go out in public...
    Originally posted by d123
    Or heavily tint the rear windows.
    • lewishardwick
    • By lewishardwick 9th Mar 18, 8:04 AM
    • 542 Posts
    • 678 Thanks
    lewishardwick
    • 9th Mar 18, 8:04 AM
    • 9th Mar 18, 8:04 AM
    Quick! Run for the hills! !!!!!philes! !!!!!philes EVERYWHERE! Do you ask every shop you walk into to delete any CCTV footage of your child?!

Back on topic, child needs to be told to not undo the seat belt. Or find a way to prevent them from doing it.

A sharp tap on the brakes next time should get the message across!
    • kokolino23
    • By kokolino23 9th Mar 18, 8:40 AM
    • 98 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    kokolino23
    • 9th Mar 18, 8:40 AM
    • 9th Mar 18, 8:40 AM
    OK, fair points from everyone, thank you very much for you honest opinion. Means a lot to us and we'll take the necessary steps to learn from this.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 9th Mar 18, 9:29 AM
    • 2,076 Posts
    • 944 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 9th Mar 18, 9:29 AM
    • 9th Mar 18, 9:29 AM
    Originally posted by lewishardwick
    So if you've got an unrestrained child in the back you think the best way of 'getting the message across' is to jump on the brakes?

Would you give them a stern talking too as they fly past your shoulder and through the windscreen?

Unbelievable Jeff!!!
    • facade
    • By facade 9th Mar 18, 10:22 AM
    • 3,142 Posts
    • 1,653 Thanks
    facade
    In The Olden Days (1960s) child seats were a novelty, but I had one- forwards facing obviously, and in the front.

However, being massively intelligent, and hyperactive, (which is why my father used to drive me around in the day- I visited more factories before I was 5 than the average HMI inspector) it didn't take me long to learn how to disconnect the non-child proof securing hooks. (This I remember)

So when my father had to brake sharply I and the seat set off towards the dashboard. (I vaguely remember the incident too)
    He spotted this out of the corner of his eye, and grabbed me with his left arm, but of course, this was after I hit the Proper Wooden dash of a MKVII Jaguar.

I had a pair of black eyes, and apparently told anyone who asked that my father had done it!

No busybodies to interfere in those days.....

EDIT: No, it didn't stop me continuing to mess with the fixings (I didn't die- so why would I stop doing something so challenging and rewarding?), I suspect he had to contrive something a bit more me-proof.
    Last edited by facade; 09-03-2018 at 11:05 AM.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 9th Mar 18, 10:34 AM
    • 1,062 Posts
    • 1,179 Thanks
    bertiewhite

Originally posted by lewishardwick
    That's priceless
    • poppasmurf_bewdley
    • By poppasmurf_bewdley 9th Mar 18, 10:53 AM
    • 5,188 Posts
    • 5,309 Thanks
    poppasmurf_bewdley
    I still remind my 27 year old son of the numerous times I told him as a child that I would drive to the police station if he didn't put his seat belt back on.

Worked every time.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
    • FormulaDriven
    • By FormulaDriven 9th Mar 18, 11:07 AM
    • 103 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    FormulaDriven
    OK, fair points from everyone, thank you very much for you honest opinion. Means a lot to us and we'll take the necessary steps to learn from this.
    Originally posted by kokolino23

That sounds like something a politician would say: "we will look closely at these findings and will take a decision on how to move this forward in due course". A bland nothingness.
    • TooManyPoints
    • By TooManyPoints 9th Mar 18, 12:49 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    TooManyPoints
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again"
    O S Nock
    Ossie Nock was not quite so prescient:

https://6201.co.uk/index.php/the-society/
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 9th Mar 18, 1:45 PM
    • 2,815 Posts
    • 1,958 Thanks
    EssexExile
    I still remind my 27 year old son of the numerous times I told him as a child that I would drive to the police station if he didn't put his seat belt back on.

Worked every time.
    Originally posted by poppasmurf_bewdley
    The police will not thank you for portraying them as the bogeyman to be feared at all times when in fact they......OK, fair enough.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

21Posts Today

3,659Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin