Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • frannyj543
    • By frannyj543 8th Mar 18, 10:57 PM
    • 177Posts
    • 109Thanks
    frannyj543
    Should these 2 houses be similarly priced.
    • 8th Mar 18, 10:57 PM
    Should these 2 houses be similarly priced. 8th Mar 18 at 10:57 PM
    Hey folks,

I'm looking at properties in my home town in northern Ireland. Both houses are in a similar area (about 2km between the two). Both are similarly aged. Both have all the same amenities. However one is a town house and one a semi detached with a garage.

Obviously all depends on what the owner is looking for and various other circumstance but am I right thinking the 2nd house is better value for money?

I'm quite new to this all but can't understand why both are the same I would have expected the 1st house being 100k most.

Are townhouses as desirable as semis in most areas? When looking in seeing little difference in my area. A new townhouse is marginally cheaper than a new semi with garage. Below are 2 houses in question.

www.propertypal.com/26-sandringham-portadown/498967

www.propertypal.com/9-hawthorn-hill-portadown/507357
Page 1
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 8th Mar 18, 11:43 PM
    • 1,905 Posts
    • 2,799 Thanks
    shortcrust
    • 8th Mar 18, 11:43 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 11:43 PM
    No one can really say unless they know the place well. I can easily picture the first one being somewhere awful and the second one being in quite a nice area. 500 metres can make a big difference to value. I also really really dislike the first one!
    • frannyj543
    • By frannyj543 8th Mar 18, 11:48 PM
    • 177 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    frannyj543
    • 8th Mar 18, 11:48 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 11:48 PM
    You dislike the semi? I've talked about first one but it's actually second link.

I am from the area so I know both areas well and they are both good areas in regards to houses at affordable prices.

Just for me the semi seems much better value for money. I can't see any reason based on location why one would be higher than another if houses were exactly the same.
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 9th Mar 18, 12:19 AM
    • 1,905 Posts
    • 2,799 Thanks
    shortcrust
    • 9th Mar 18, 12:19 AM
    • 9th Mar 18, 12:19 AM
    Yes it's the semi I don't like. Really not my cup of tea. It's not as big as the photos make it look. The rooms are actually quite a bit smaller than the terrace apart from the smallest bedroom.

Maybe the terrace should be cheaper. They're only the asking prices after all. Have a look to see what nearby houses actually sold for. I don't know how you find that out in Northern Ireland but hopefully someone will.
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 9th Mar 18, 10:43 AM
    • 2,745 Posts
    • 3,927 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    • 9th Mar 18, 10:43 AM
    • 9th Mar 18, 10:43 AM
    The first house looks like it's at least been re-decorated throughout.

If it's now being sold by a property developer that could explain the premium price.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

172Posts Today

1,879Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin