Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Euripides
    • By Euripides 8th Mar 18, 10:50 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Euripides
    Removing and replacing asbestos cement roof
    • 8th Mar 18, 10:50 PM
    Removing and replacing asbestos cement roof 8th Mar 18 at 10:50 PM
    Hi,

I've read the countless threads on here, and on the internet in general regarding this, but would appreciate any advice from anyone caring enough to offer!

Need to remove and replace an asbestos cement rooof. One of the sheets has a whole in it (see pic). Quotes are ranging from 1.5k - 2k to remove and replace with either bitumen sheets or corrugated box profile sheeting. I'm considering doing it myself as local tip will allow disposal for 80quid.

Question is a) will it be safe even though one of the sheets has a hole in it providing I follow guidance from HSE (p3 mask, overalls, wet the sheets etc) and b) is it difficult to replace with bitumen or corrugated box profile sheeting?

Thanks in advance!
Page 1
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 9th Mar 18, 8:02 AM
    • 25,312 Posts
    • 93,075 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 9th Mar 18, 8:02 AM
    • 9th Mar 18, 8:02 AM
    I would consider myself capable of doing it safely, probably in the rain(!) and after coating with SBR, but others will have their own opinions. You seem to have done your homework.

I would just comment that you will probably need extra roof supports if going for the corrugated bitumen sheet option, as they can sag in the heat. Me, I'd go for pressed steel painted/coated, or galvanised, depending on how pretty it needed to be.
    If you are finding huge gaps between your paragraphs and use Firefox, MSE know about the problem. However, they aren't necessarily doing anything about it yet....
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5844460
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 10th Mar 18, 1:56 PM
    • 5,220 Posts
    • 13,920 Thanks
    EachPenny
    • 10th Mar 18, 1:56 PM
    • 10th Mar 18, 1:56 PM
    I would consider myself capable of doing it safely, probably in the rain(!) and after coating with SBR, but others will have their own opinions. You seem to have done your homework.

I would just comment that you will probably need extra roof supports if going for the corrugated bitumen sheet option, as they can sag in the heat. Me, I'd go for pressed steel painted/coated, or galvanised, depending on how pretty it needed to be.
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    I agree with Davesnave, if you are willing to research and follow the HSE advice on safe working methods thenyou'd probably be ok with removing exterior asbestos cement roofing. The main issue is with the fixings - if these are easy to remove (i.e. non rusted bolts) then the risk is lower than if the sheets have fixings that cannot be removed easily. Where things start to go wrong is when the bolts won't undo and people resort to an angle grinder to remove them. The consequences of this should be obvious, but unfortunately not always.

I'd also second the advice to keep away from bitumen roofing and go for coated steel if you have the budget. But be aware that metal roofing can have condensation problems, so the roof either needs to be insulated, or fitted with an anti-condensation material.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • Euripides
    • By Euripides 10th Mar 18, 5:18 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Euripides
    • 10th Mar 18, 5:18 PM
    • 10th Mar 18, 5:18 PM
    Thanks for your replies both. Very much appreciated.

I'm going to do it in two weeks when I have some time off work.

Would either of you be able to post a link to the type of roofing sheets that you are recommending? Some advice on how to insulate it would also be appreciated.

Many thanks,
    Marvin
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 10th Mar 18, 7:11 PM
    • 25,312 Posts
    • 93,075 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 10th Mar 18, 7:11 PM
    • 10th Mar 18, 7:11 PM
    This is the sheet I've used on my barns, mainly because their production facility is quite close to where I live. Others are probably available:

https://www.roofingsheets.com/our-products/sheets/box-profile-341000-sheets-pvc-plastisol-07mm
    If you are finding huge gaps between your paragraphs and use Firefox, MSE know about the problem. However, they aren't necessarily doing anything about it yet....
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 10th Mar 18, 7:54 PM
    • 1,906 Posts
    • 2,504 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    • 10th Mar 18, 7:54 PM
    • 10th Mar 18, 7:54 PM
    I've a similar issue, where my corrugated roof has been holed, on the outbuildings of my terraced house, but abuts that of the adjacent housing association property where the roof has already been done. It overlaps mine by one "ridge". I've been thinking of replacement by something like Onduline, has anyone any comments? Cheers.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 10th Mar 18, 8:42 PM
    • 25,312 Posts
    • 93,075 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 10th Mar 18, 8:42 PM
    • 10th Mar 18, 8:42 PM
    I've already commented on corrugated bituminous sheeting.
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 12th Mar 18, 1:32 PM
    • 1,906 Posts
    • 2,504 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    • 12th Mar 18, 1:32 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 1:32 PM
    Ah. Ah yes.. It would appear my knowledge of nomenclature and materials was lacking!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

617Posts Today

5,820Users online

Martin's Twitter