Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • IvyJay
    • By IvyJay 8th Mar 18, 9:15 PM
    • 34Posts
    • 8Thanks
    IvyJay
    I Paid Twice for Parking
    • 8th Mar 18, 9:15 PM
    I Paid Twice for Parking 8th Mar 18 at 9:15 PM
    Hi Guys

I went to a shopping centre in south Wales and parked in the car park that is managed by Apcoa. I had planned to be there for just 2-3 hours but was delayed. By the time I returned to the car park and inserted my ticket in the machine, it stated that I had to pay 5 (this was around 4pm). I made payment by card and looked at the pricing and saw that 5 was the charge for up to 24 hours.

I arrived around 12pm and as I had paid the maximum decided to put my bags in the boot of my car and stay to watch a film. I left the cinema after 10pm but when I inserted my ticket in the exit barrier it didn't rise. I tried a couple more times and then pressed the button for assistance but no-one responded. Eventually, I went back to the ticket machine, inserted the card and paid another 5.

I sent an email to Apcoa requesting a refund of 5 but they refused stating that I had initially paid for the time I was there and that ticket expired so that's why I had to pay again.

I didn't expect that response as I had simply changed my mind as I had already paid the maximum charge for the day. The company has suffered no financial loss so I don't understand their attitude.

Has anyone else found themselves in a similar situation? I'm now considering raising a complaint because I think this is ridiculous that I should be penalised for changing my mind to stay and watch a film. I would appreciate your comments.
Page 1
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 8th Mar 18, 9:49 PM
    • 9,070 Posts
    • 8,765 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 8th Mar 18, 9:49 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 9:49 PM
    This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of contracts for alleged parking offences.

Parking Eye, Smart and a smaller company have already been named and shamed, as has Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (these two law firms take hundreds of these cases to court each year). They nearly always lose) and have been reported to the regulatory authority by an M.P.

The problem has become so rampant that MPs have agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers. Watch the video of the Second Reading in the HofC recently.

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/2f0384f2-eba5-4fff-ab07-cf24b6a22918?in=12:49:41

and complain in the most robust terms to your MP. With a fair wind most of these companies may well be put out of business by Christmas.v
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 8th Mar 18, 10:15 PM
    • 56,275 Posts
    • 69,911 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 8th Mar 18, 10:15 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 10:15 PM
    Complain to the BPA.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• IvyJay
    • By IvyJay 9th Mar 18, 3:15 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    IvyJay
    • 9th Mar 18, 3:15 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 3:15 PM
    Thanks guys.

I'm interested to know if anyone else has been in this situation.
    • nosferatu1001
    • By nosferatu1001 9th Mar 18, 3:44 PM
    • 2,295 Posts
    • 2,720 Thanks
    nosferatu1001
    • 9th Mar 18, 3:44 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 3:44 PM
    The claim will be that when you paid, that was your period of parking finished.
    • IvyJay
    • By IvyJay 9th Mar 18, 9:39 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    IvyJay
    • 9th Mar 18, 9:39 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 9:39 PM
    They've already said that but I'm still going to challenge it because I don't accept that. Apcoa has suffered no financial loss. I've sent an email to their complaints department and if that fails I'll complain to BPA. I've nothing to lose at this point.
    • Castle
    • By Castle 10th Mar 18, 9:23 AM
    • 1,643 Posts
    • 2,204 Thanks
    Castle
    • 10th Mar 18, 9:23 AM
    • 10th Mar 18, 9:23 AM
    The claim will be that when you paid, that was your period of parking finished.
    Originally posted by nosferatu1001
    Providing that the driver was told about this prior to putting their money in the machine.
    • IvyJay
    • By IvyJay 10th Mar 18, 10:21 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    IvyJay
    • 10th Mar 18, 10:21 PM
    • 10th Mar 18, 10:21 PM
    Thanks for your reply Castle.

Just to clarify, when I went back to the ticket machine after trying to exit I did see a notice on the machine that stated customers have 20 minutes to exit the car park after making payment. I know it's irrelevant that I didn't see this notice the first time but I've already sent the email to Apcoa's complaints department so I'll just wait for them to reply. I still maintain the position that they suffered no financial loss. This was an honest oversight. I'm astounded at how money-grabbing these companies are. It's always in their favour and no leniency for exceptional / unusual circumstances. It just infuriates me!
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 10th Mar 18, 10:30 PM
    • 6,666 Posts
    • 5,868 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 10th Mar 18, 10:30 PM
    • 10th Mar 18, 10:30 PM
    I'm astounded at how money-grabbing these companies are. It's always in their favour and no leniency for exceptional / unusual circumstances. It just infuriates me!
    Originally posted by IvyJay
    I hope you looked at that video The Deep linked to.

You now must express you 'infuriation' to your Member of Parliament.
    Tell him/her how 'astounded' you are.
    Encourage him/her to support Sir Gregg Knight's private member's bill, the Second Reading of which received unanimous cross party support in February.

If you haven't seen it that video is well worth a look.
    • IvyJay
    • By IvyJay 10th Mar 18, 10:55 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    IvyJay
    Thanks for your reply Keith. I will finish watching it and write to my MP.
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 11th Mar 18, 1:36 AM
    • 1,956 Posts
    • 1,289 Thanks
    Tom99
    I don't see the problem, you effectively parked twice so that's what you have been charged for.
    • IvyJay
    • By IvyJay 16th Apr 18, 11:32 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    IvyJay
    Hooray! I received a refund of 5! (smiles)
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 16th Apr 18, 11:36 PM
    • 56,275 Posts
    • 69,911 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Well done, a matter of principle!
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• IvyJay
    • By IvyJay 19th Apr 18, 12:10 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    IvyJay
    Yes, it definitely was!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,020Posts Today

8,705Users online

Martin's Twitter