Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Aldea2015
    • By Aldea2015 8th Mar 18, 8:50 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Aldea2015
    Moving to UC after first housing benefit claim
    • 8th Mar 18, 8:50 PM
    Moving to UC after first housing benefit claim 8th Mar 18 at 8:50 PM
    I have been unwell for a couple of years and had to move back home with my parents as I cannot currently work.
    For a few reasons I am no longer able to stay here and am about to apply for housing benefit for the first time.
    When I rang CAB they told me that if I made a housing benefit claim, I would be switched over to Universal credit.
    I'm currently in the ESA support group and also receive higher mobility PIP and standard care for PIP.
    Is anybody familiar with a similar situation and knows if I am likely to lose my support group ESA to the the 319/month universal credit rate? This represents a 180 loss of benefit income to me which is a significant as I will be living alone with no supporting income from me or a partner.

Thanks for any thoughts and advice.
Page 1
    • venison
    • By venison 8th Mar 18, 9:15 PM
    • 2,032 Posts
    • 2,184 Thanks
    venison
    • 8th Mar 18, 9:15 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 9:15 PM
    If you lived alone on income related ESA you qualify for severe disability premium of 63(?) a week. There is no sdp on UC. And if you are subject to "managed migration" sometime from 2019-22 you would get transitional relief.
    Someone will no doubt correct me if this isn't right, as UC is a complicated benefit.
    Last edited by venison; 09-03-2018 at 11:17 AM.
    Ex Board Guide
    • Aldea2015
    • By Aldea2015 8th Mar 18, 9:25 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Aldea2015
    • 8th Mar 18, 9:25 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 9:25 PM
    If you lived alone on income related ESA you qualify for severe disability premium of 63(?) a week. There is no sep on UC. And if you are subject to "managed migration" sometime from 2019-22 you would get transitional relief.
    Someone will no doubt correct me if this isn't right, as UC is a complicated benefit.
    Originally posted by venison
    I don't get the severe disability premium - I assume because I am currently at my parent's house.
    As far as I know SDP isn't paid under universal credit - since I don't get it, it's not a loss I have to factor.

I'm on the ESA support group amount, plus a little extra - so UC is significantly less. There seems just one figure for UC that I can see.

Transitional relief - I assume this is a period of 'grace' on my current levels before my reassessment in may 2019..
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,002Posts Today

7,264Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin