Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Newell94
    • By Newell94 8th Mar 18, 8:18 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Newell94
    International call within the UK to UK.
    • 8th Mar 18, 8:18 PM
    International call within the UK to UK. 8th Mar 18 at 8:18 PM
    I have just received a 70 phone bill for calling my boyfriend. He is Spanish and his number starts +34. I was charged 70 for making several calls to this number, NEVER being notified that I WAS BEING CHARGED A PREMIUM! - and only tonight checked my phone bill to receive the shock that i was being charged for an international call.

My boyfreind lives in Edinburgh, and I in Fife. For those from England that is like phoning from London to Birmingham and he is using Giffgaff as his service provider over here. I EXPECTED because of this that my FREE calls would be valid as the call is going TO SCOTLAND FROM SCOTLAND and BOTH of us are using UK NETWORKS.

Please help O2 are trying to say that the charges are fair. For me the charges are astonishing.

I have asked my boyfriend for screen shots to send showing he is on Giff Gaff. O2 have offered to pay 10 towards my 70 bill... and I am just lost for words.

Please help me!
Page 1
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 8th Mar 18, 8:22 PM
    • 1,586 Posts
    • 3,420 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    • 8th Mar 18, 8:22 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 8:22 PM
    His home network may be connecting to giffgaff whilst he is here, but if his code is 34 then they are not his provider. What is happening is that your call will go to his Spanish provider then back to the UK network that they use, hence the high cost.

Surely he knows who his contract is with?
    • Newell94
    • By Newell94 8th Mar 18, 8:24 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Newell94
    • 8th Mar 18, 8:24 PM
    yes - but for me I dont understand why it is ok for me to not be notified about the charges and then take even more and more as i continue to presume its a free call?
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 8th Mar 18, 8:24 PM
    • 1,586 Posts
    • 3,420 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    If he's now in the UK should he not change the prefix to +44?
    Originally posted by elsien
    He'd need a UK number to do that. If the number is still a Spanish one then calling it will still go to his originating network.
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 8th Mar 18, 8:25 PM
    • 1,586 Posts
    • 3,420 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    • 8th Mar 18, 8:25 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 8:25 PM
    yes - but for me I dont understand why it is ok for me to not be notified about the charges and then take even more and more as i continue to presume its a free call?
    Originally posted by Newell94
    You need to check the call charges before making the call. You can't base your knowledge on an assumption.
    • Newell94
    • By Newell94 8th Mar 18, 8:26 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Newell94
    • 8th Mar 18, 8:26 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 8:26 PM
    thats what is frustrating me as I did. My mobile o2 app didnt tell me I would be charged at a premium rate.
    • Newell94
    • By Newell94 8th Mar 18, 8:29 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Newell94
    • 8th Mar 18, 8:29 PM
    it clearly states calls out side of your allowance include 05, 070, 076, Jersey, Guernsey, Isle of Man 0 landline or mobile and 07 non mobile and call forwarding services. nothing about +34.
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 8th Mar 18, 8:29 PM
    • 1,586 Posts
    • 3,420 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    thats what is frustrating me as I did. My mobile o2 app didnt tell me I would be charged at a premium rate.
    It didn't tell you that calling a Spanish number would be charged at international rates? What exactly did you look up?
    • J B
    • By J B 8th Mar 18, 8:31 PM
    • 2,728 Posts
    • 958 Thanks
    J B
    • 8th Mar 18, 8:31 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 8:31 PM
    I'm not with O2, so not sure really, but does the app tell you every time you make an international call?

P S - I'd take the tenner offer and run!
    • Newell94
    • By Newell94 8th Mar 18, 8:34 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Newell94
    It generates a text for mobile internet and when abroad and when you go over your data or calls.
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 8th Mar 18, 8:35 PM
    • 1,586 Posts
    • 3,420 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    It generates a text for mobile internet and when abroad and when you go over your data or calls.
    None of which apply here.

Does it generate a text for when you are calling from the UK to an overseas number?
    • Newell94
    • By Newell94 8th Mar 18, 8:36 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Newell94
    I have no idea? I havent ever been under the impression Ive ever done that even now.
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 8th Mar 18, 9:01 PM
    • 1,586 Posts
    • 3,420 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    I have no idea? I havent ever been under the impression Ive ever done that even now.
    This is your problem, you've made assumptions on something that you have no idea about. Lesson for the future is to ask before, not to assume.

If you log a complaint with O2 they may well offer you a larger discount, but you must understand that this is a goodwill gesture and not something they need to do. Be calm and polite, explain you have now realised your mistake, and hopefully they'll help you out.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 8th Mar 18, 9:06 PM
    • 8,339 Posts
    • 6,160 Thanks
    pmduk
    For the future, any number beginning with 00 or + is an international call.

If it explains the charge Your calls to him are sent from the UK to his network in Spain, then back here to Scotland, so there are a few international legs involved.
    • d123
    • By d123 8th Mar 18, 9:15 PM
    • 7,219 Posts
    • 4,658 Thanks
    d123
    I have just received a 70 phone bill for calling my boyfriend. He is Spanish and his number starts +34. I was charged 70 for making several calls to this number, NEVER being notified that I WAS BEING CHARGED A PREMIUM! - and only tonight checked my phone bill to receive the shock that i was being charged for an international call.

My boyfreind lives in Edinburgh, and I in Fife. For those from England that is like phoning from London to Birmingham and he is using Giffgaff as his service provider over here. I EXPECTED because of this that my FREE calls would be valid as the call is going TO SCOTLAND FROM SCOTLAND and BOTH of us are using UK NETWORKS.
    No, you phoned a Spanish mobile that happened to be roaming in the UK. Your call went UK - Spain - UK.

Of course you could find out, it's pretty much common knowledge that phoning a Spanish number will be an international call.

Your networks website will even list the cost of a call to a Spanish mobile if you had bothered to look.

Your call allowance is to call UK landlines or mobiles, there's a clue there as well...

For the future, any number beginning with 00 or + is an international call.
    Originally posted by pmduk
    Other than +44, of course .
    ====
    • Ian011
    • By Ian011 8th Mar 18, 9:21 PM
    • 1,997 Posts
    • 1,163 Thanks
    Ian011
    One overriding principle of the telephone network is that calls are charged based on the digits the caller dialled. In this particular case, you called a Spanish number from the UK and were charged the applicable international rate for calling a Spanish number from the UK. It matters not one bit where in the world that call was eventually answered, you called a Spanish number from the UK while you were in the UK.

However, it is worth noting that because he is roaming outside of his home country, had he instead called you, he would have been charged the same rate as he pays when calling a Spanish landline or mobile number while in Spain. If he has inclusive calls to call Spanish landline and mobile numbers while in Spain, EU roaming regulations mean that while travelling outside Spain and within the EU, that inclusive allowance changes such that it covers calls to all landline and mobile numbers in every EU member state or territory.

This state of affairs does not apply when you call him, because you are not roaming, you are still in your home country.

The reverse would be true if you were both in Spain. You would be able to call Spanish numbers at the same rate as you call UK numbers from the UK, and he would be charged international rates for calling a UK number.

What this does illustrate is that unregulated international calls are charged at extortionate rates. Phone providers are profiteering on these calls way above the wholesale cost of routing and delivering these calls.
    Last edited by Ian011; 08-03-2018 at 10:20 PM.
    • ossie
    • By ossie 8th Mar 18, 9:23 PM
    • 321 Posts
    • 299 Thanks
    ossie
    Use your data allowance or wifi and call each other via Skype next time!
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 8th Mar 18, 9:24 PM
    • 3,401 Posts
    • 1,612 Thanks
    eDicky
    You have no complaint. When you call a Spanish number beginning with +34 you are making an international call, regardless of where that mobile phone is currently located. So you pay whatever the O2 rate is for calling a Spanish mobile number.

His phone will be roaming on one of the main UK networks, not GiffGaff, so I don't know where this comes from. It would be simple for him to get a UK SIM for his phone. You both should simply know better than to make such a mistake, it's pointless to blame O2.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 8th Mar 18, 9:33 PM
    • 8,339 Posts
    • 6,160 Thanks
    pmduk
    it's pointless to blame O2.
    Originally posted by eDicky
    Yes, but it's so much easier to blame others!
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 8th Mar 18, 10:05 PM
    • 3,401 Posts
    • 1,612 Thanks
    eDicky
    Yes, but it's so much easier to blame others!
    Originally posted by pmduk
    As so often. It's strange that the clue is in the words 'international call' used in her own thread title.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,667Posts Today

8,343Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin