Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tdsmithj
    • By tdsmithj 8th Mar 18, 7:39 PM
    • 42Posts
    • 3Thanks
    tdsmithj
    Moved house and energy company demanding payment
    • 8th Mar 18, 7:39 PM
    Moved house and energy company demanding payment 8th Mar 18 at 7:39 PM
    I moved to a property and moved my energy provider npower over on the same day. After a month a got a gas and electric bill from Scottish power to the current occupier saying we owe them money on dates before we moved in.

I talked to Scottish power and said that I did not need to pay as it is not applicable to me.

I followed their procedure sending the bills back stating I do not have to pay. But keep getting demands and now it's passed to collections. I have already spoke to them twice about it.

It's stressing me out. What can I do about it?
Page 1
    • ASavvyBuyer
    • By ASavvyBuyer 8th Mar 18, 7:46 PM
    • 753 Posts
    • 1,955 Thanks
    ASavvyBuyer
    • 8th Mar 18, 7:46 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 7:46 PM
    When you moved in you were on a "Deemed Contract" with the current supplier.

Did you contact them to provide meter readings on the day you moved in?

If not, you have made an error by not contacting them and could end up paying for some of the previous occupiers energy.

When you switch providers it usually takes between 17 & 35 days for the actual switch to take place.

For that time, you will need to pay for any energy & standing charges you have used to the "Deemed Supplier".

The alternative would be that when you moved in, all supplies would be cut off and you would have to wait for a company to reconnect you.
    • bazzyb
    • By bazzyb 8th Mar 18, 7:51 PM
    • 1,193 Posts
    • 3,274 Thanks
    bazzyb
    • 8th Mar 18, 7:51 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 7:51 PM
    What can I do about it?
    Originally posted by tdsmithj
    Pay them for what you have used (did you take meter readings when you moved in?) and then they will stop chasing you.
    • D_M_E
    • By D_M_E 8th Mar 18, 8:07 PM
    • 1,482 Posts
    • 63,469 Thanks
    D_M_E
    • 8th Mar 18, 8:07 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 8:07 PM
    Anything used BEFORE you moved in is not your responsibility.

What you should have done is read the meter(s) on the day you moved in then notify the existing supplier(s) that you ere responsible for the energy consumed from that day onwards.

They should have set you up with an account, at which time you would be free to move to a supplier of your choice.

You cannot be expected to pay someone else's bills for energy used before you took possession of the property.

Stay off the phone and WRITE to them a letter headed COMPLAINT in big bold size 18 font letters detailing the day you moved in and the meter reading(s) you took when you moved in - better still if you can include photos if you took them - and tell them you are only responsible for usage from X date.

Your probable cause of grief is that you switched too quickly and did not inform SP of your occupation to start with.
    • tdsmithj
    • By tdsmithj 8th Mar 18, 8:20 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    tdsmithj
    • 8th Mar 18, 8:20 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 8:20 PM
    I didn't switch supplier. I brought my other supplier to the new property and told them in advance. Never been with Scottish power and no idea what the previous provider was. I will write a letter.
    • ASavvyBuyer
    • By ASavvyBuyer 8th Mar 18, 8:48 PM
    • 753 Posts
    • 1,955 Thanks
    ASavvyBuyer
    • 8th Mar 18, 8:48 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 8:48 PM
    I didn't switch supplier. I brought my other supplier to the new property and told them in advance. Never been with Scottish power and no idea what the previous provider was. I will write a letter.
    Unfortunately, it looks like you did not understand the process when you take over the supplies at a new property.

You were on a "Deemed Contract" with the current supplier/s to that property when you started using any power. So you should have found out who they were and provided meter readings on the day of moving in.

Then you would have been OK to switch to the provider you had at your old property, or any other provider.

Unfortunately, you do owe the previous supplier for any energy you used before the contract switched to your preferred provider.
    • bazzyb
    • By bazzyb 8th Mar 18, 8:56 PM
    • 1,193 Posts
    • 3,274 Thanks
    bazzyb
    • 8th Mar 18, 8:56 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 8:56 PM
    I didn't switch supplier.
    Yes you did. On the date you took legal possession of the property, the energy was provided by Scottish Power. You switched providers to nPower. You need to pay Scottish Power for the energy you used before the switch was completed.
    • tdsmithj
    • By tdsmithj 8th Mar 18, 9:03 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    tdsmithj
    • 8th Mar 18, 9:03 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 9:03 PM
    Yes you did. On the date you took legal possession of the property, the energy was provided by Scottish Power. You switched providers to nPower. You need to pay Scottish Power for the energy you used before the switch was completed.
    Originally posted by bazzyb
    As I said the bill was for the dates before we took possession over the property.

We exchanged on the 8th December the bill is for the 1st to the 7th December. You are all saying during that time it is my responsibility to pay for the power the previous occupiers were using?
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 8th Mar 18, 9:13 PM
    • 5,734 Posts
    • 3,517 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 8th Mar 18, 9:13 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 9:13 PM
    As I said the bill was for the dates before we took possession over the property.

We exchanged on the 8th December the bill is for the 1st to the 7th December. You are all saying during that time it is my responsibility to pay for the power the previous occupiers were using?
    Provide the Deemed Supplier with a copy of any legal document showing when you became responsible for the property. Ask them to estimate a start meter reading for that date. They will then bill you for the period 8th December until the switch to your present supplier went through (17 to 35 days). They are entitled to this money as you were on a legal binding contract even though you made no contact with them.
    • bazzyb
    • By bazzyb 8th Mar 18, 9:33 PM
    • 1,193 Posts
    • 3,274 Thanks
    bazzyb

You should have taken a meter reading on the day you completed your purchase, and another reading when you switched to nPower (2-3 weeks after this at the earliest). You need to pay Scottish Power for the difference between the two.
    • J B
    • By J B 8th Mar 18, 10:10 PM
    • 2,733 Posts
    • 958 Thanks
    J B

Hmm, you are obviously not liable for the 1st to 7th but I *think* what folks are saying, is that it will still take nPower a while (10/20 days??) to take on the account, so you will be liable for that time.

• CashStrapped
    • By CashStrapped 8th Mar 18, 11:42 PM
    • 1,286 Posts
    • 720 Thanks
    CashStrapped
    This is the order of things regarding moving into a new property.

1) You move in (from this moment you are in a deemed contract with the existing supplier).
    2) You find out who the existing supplier is
    3) You take a meter reading
    4) You ring the existing supplier, create an account and give them the opening reading you took and confirm the date you moved in.
    5) At this point, and only at this point can you switch supplier.
    6)Your new supplier contacts your existing supplier and takes over the account (takes 2-4 weeks).

While some companies allow you to take your tariff to a new address, you still need to follow those steps first. You cannot transfer it from day one.

----

You seemingly failed to do 1-4, so technically you are still in a deemed contract with the existing supplier. They will charge you accordingly, you will not pay twice because you do not actually owe your current supplier for that period. You need to organise this with your current supplier and come to an agreement.

-----

They may be charging you from before you moved in because you did not create an account with them and tell them when you moved in. So they are just charging you from when the previous tenants moved out and/or closed their account! How else are they to know when you moved in.

There may not have been any use in those days or it may have been a trickle. But because you did not ring them, give a meter reading and confirm the day you moved in they will just base it off the previous occupants leaving.

You just need to give them the opening meter reading. They should then adjust the date you moved in, which will save you a small amount for the daily standing charge.
    Last edited by CashStrapped; 09-03-2018 at 1:46 AM.
    • macman
    • By macman 9th Mar 18, 3:20 PM
    • 41,894 Posts
    • 17,379 Thanks
    macman
    You can't move an existing energy account or supplier from one address to another. So you are liable from the day of completion (not exchange) to the day you switched away from SP. Normally 4-5 weeks to transfer.
    The deemed contract system has been in place for about 30 years now, so I guess you haven't moved in a while...
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 9th Mar 18, 4:13 PM
    • 1,133 Posts
    • 981 Thanks
    Carrot007
    By trying to avoid having an incumbant supplier you have brought this on yourself.

If you tried to change the electricity supplier before exchange/completion you have done something stupid.

By not contacting the supplier or taking reads you have just made this worse.

You need to find out when the change of supplier happened. For each utility if there are both as they are going to be different. And then you need to ring the supplier, apologise for your stupidity for imagining they have a procedure that says you are not responsible after you buy a house (or rent) and ask for a bill for the period you owe.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

441Posts Today

5,573Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin