Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

    • Richard Overton 2911
    • By Richard Overton 2911 8th Mar 18, 6:29 PM
    • 103Posts
    • 791Thanks
    Richard Overton 2911
    Adding my son to Van insurance..
    • #1
    • 8th Mar 18, 6:29 PM
    Adding my son to Van insurance.. 8th Mar 18 at 6:29 PM
    I rang my existing insurer (Dial Direct) about adding my son to my commercial van insurance. He (19yrs & 4months old) passed his test just over 1yr ago and has his own car and 1yrs NCD in his own name.

    I was quite shocked to find that only 1underwriter would take it on at a cost of 4,700 .My insurance expires this June so its only 3 months time anyway.. So I also checked online with Compare the Market and not a single company was interested.

    Now it can't be the value of the van which is around 11k, his own car is a 65 plate Corsa and worth about 5.5k. I don't think its the power the van has as its diesel and 2.2lt. So it must be down to his age ,so if indeed it is then how is it that a 16yr old can legally drive a tractor on the road which has a larger engine and can do as much if not more damage than a diesel van?..

    Any advice on any other options would be appreciated..
    Last edited by Richard Overton 2911; 08-03-2018 at 6:33 PM.
Page 1
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 8th Mar 18, 8:14 PM
    • 26,954 Posts
    • 10,854 Thanks
    • #2
    • 8th Mar 18, 8:14 PM
    • #2
    • 8th Mar 18, 8:14 PM
    If your just taking random risks into the equation then the tractor wont be doing 100+ mph on the motorway.

    Larger engine does not mean faster or a higher risk. A tractor will mostly be used off the road, with short journeys on the road.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

    My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

    Due to me being a tight git.
    • AstroTurtle
    • By AstroTurtle 9th Mar 18, 9:12 AM
    • 144 Posts
    • 518 Thanks
    • #3
    • 9th Mar 18, 9:12 AM
    • #3
    • 9th Mar 18, 9:12 AM
    As someone who has dealt with agricultural fleet policies they can cost very similar to what your saying you've been quoted for your son to drive. I've done agricultural fleet policies that can cost 7-8k per vehicle depending on the drivers. Plus 16-17 year olds have strict restriction on size & driving restrictions.

    Your argument of how can it be "legal" for a 16 year old to drive is invalid because it's "legal" for your son to drive your van. You just don't way to pay that much for it. I would probably say it isn't even the car value or engine size or even his age (19 isn't too bad) but given he's only had his UK Licence for 1 full year. You may find more insurers agree to a vehicle like this after 3 years driving experience for road use and I'm guessing may you have goods in transit or carriage of own goods for hire and reward.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

772Posts Today

7,162Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line?

  • RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

  • Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

  • Follow Martin