Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Suzanna C
    • By Suzanna C 8th Mar 18, 6:25 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Suzanna C
    ovo changing tarrif
    • 8th Mar 18, 6:25 PM
    ovo changing tarrif 8th Mar 18 at 6:25 PM
    I contacted Ovo yesterday after seeing that they have a cheaper tarrif on the MSE newsletter. I thought as I am already an Ovo customer i will not be charged £30.00 per fuel if I change tarrif as I am not leaving Ovo. However I was emailed back that if I change my tarrif I will still be charged £60.00 for dual fuel. Has anyone else had the same answer?
Page 1
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 8th Mar 18, 7:15 PM
    • 5,729 Posts
    • 3,515 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 8th Mar 18, 7:15 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 7:15 PM
    I contacted Ovo yesterday after seeing that they have a cheaper tarrif on the MSE newsletter. I thought as I am already an Ovo customer i will not be charged £30.00 per fuel if I change tarrif as I am not leaving Ovo. However I was emailed back that if I change my tarrif I will still be charged £60.00 for dual fuel. Has anyone else had the same answer?
    Originally posted by Suzanna C
    Hi - welcome to the forum. Ovo is not alone in charging customers to change tariffs. It is usually covered in the terms and conditions that you agreed when you signed up. Sorry.
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 8th Mar 18, 7:19 PM
    • 1,350 Posts
    • 1,137 Thanks
    House Martin
    • 8th Mar 18, 7:19 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 7:19 PM
    Originally posted by Suzanna C
    A great reason for dumping Ovo with a dirty trick like that ! and let them know why you are switching . I m surprised OFGEM have nt jumped on that one.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 8th Mar 18, 9:20 PM
    • 5,729 Posts
    • 3,515 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 8th Mar 18, 9:20 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 9:20 PM
    A great reason for dumping Ovo with a dirty trick like that ! and let them know why you are switching . I m surprised OFGEM have nt jumped on that one.
    Originally posted by House Martin
    The list of suppliers that charge exit fees for tariff changes may be longer than most people think. For example, I know that Zog charges exit fees for tariff changes. Under SLCs, tariff changes are treated as MUTUAL contract variations.

Ovo’s wording is as follows:

Quote: If you are on a fixed plan we may decide not to allow you to switch to another new fixed plan with us until your current contract term ends, or we may charge you a fee to do so – for example, if after six months of your current one year fixed plan, we launch a new fixed plan that you want to switch to, then we can decide whether or not to allow you to switch to the new plan. Unquote
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 9th Mar 18, 9:52 AM
    • 1,350 Posts
    • 1,137 Thanks
    House Martin
    • 9th Mar 18, 9:52 AM
    • 9th Mar 18, 9:52 AM
    OK Hengus, the list is long is it ? Thats 2 you have highlighted.Zog and Ovo are in the frame for the con so far
    There are over 60 different energy suppliers.
    Can you add any more who are swindling the exit fee out of an unsuspecting public. So we can avoid them in future.
    Only lawyers trawl through the long drawn out T and C s. We all scroll down and tick the box, and they know that.
    Anything as drastic as charging say £60 to access a lower tariff with the same energy company should be highlighted before we join up.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 9th Mar 18, 1:04 PM
    • 5,729 Posts
    • 3,515 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 9th Mar 18, 1:04 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 1:04 PM
    OK Hengus, the list is long is it ? Thats 2 you have highlighted.Zog and Ovo are in the frame for the con so far
    There are over 60 different energy suppliers.
    Can you add any more who are swindling the exit fee out of an unsuspecting public. So we can avoid them in future.
    Only lawyers trawl through the long drawn out T and C s. We all scroll down and tick the box, and they know that.
    Anything as drastic as charging say £60 to access a lower tariff with the same energy company should be highlighted before we join up.
    Originally posted by House Martin
    I wish it was that easy. I was with Ovo when they did charge exit fees, and when they didn't charge an exit fee if you left (provided you didn't return) with 3(?) months.

FWiW, most suppliers will allow you to transfer to their SVT without paying a penalty. Wait a few days, and then take out a new fixed tariff. Alternatively, choose a fixed tariff without exit fees or switch to a supplier that will pay your exit fees, and then switch again.

Edit: you can add GreenEnergy to the list. This link explains why exit fees are applied to in contract tariff changes:

https://greennetworkenergy.co.uk/help-centre/information-about-switching/can-change-different-tariff-switch/
    Last edited by Hengus; 09-03-2018 at 1:28 PM.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 9th Mar 18, 4:17 PM
    • 4,842 Posts
    • 2,013 Thanks
    brewerdave
    • 9th Mar 18, 4:17 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 4:17 PM
    I'm with Better Energy for gas - they haven't charged me the ETF of £30 when I've moved onto a new fix with them at a cheaper rate -in fact they suggested it!!
    • hgm
    • By hgm 9th Mar 18, 4:45 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    hgm
    • 9th Mar 18, 4:45 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 4:45 PM
    I was with Ovo about 3 years ago when they brought out a cheaper tariff at the same time as several other companies. It was in fact cheaper to go with another company and pay the £60 exit fee than change to the new Ovo tariff even with no exit fee.
    However I would have stayed with Ovo at the new reduced rate although more expensive than the switch as I had been happy with them as a company. Ovo didn't seem to want to accept this however so I left.
    They obviously prefer to pay a switching fee for a new customer than keep their current ones. I haven't considered them again.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 9th Mar 18, 5:06 PM
    • 3,810 Posts
    • 5,234 Thanks
    Nick_C
    • 9th Mar 18, 5:06 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 5:06 PM
    I signed up to Ovo in October 2017 through the MSE CEC. The deal was for a two year fix with early leaving fees of £60. This was made quite quite clear when I signed up.

If I want to terminate the contract early I will of course have to pay £60, even if I switch to a different Ovo tariff.

That's the contact both parties agreed to. Not an issue.
    • buzzard
    • By buzzard 14th Mar 18, 11:09 AM
    • 219 Posts
    • 3,020 Thanks
    buzzard
    if you are close to the end of your contract (49 days according to Which ) you can switch without exit fees. Otherwise you signed a contract and must abide by it.

I left Ovo after customer service so poor that they eventually had to waive my exit fees and pay me compensation (Ombudsman ruling). I am now with Avro who have still been cheaper than Ovo whenever I've checked and have no exit fees. Therefore if you experience bad service you just walk. So far I'm staying.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,667Posts Today

8,343Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin