Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ThePants999
    • By ThePants999 8th Mar 18, 5:42 PM
    • 1,111Posts
    • 1,362Thanks
    ThePants999
    Switch from E7 to flat rate meter?
    • 8th Mar 18, 5:42 PM
    Switch from E7 to flat rate meter? 8th Mar 18 at 5:42 PM
    Hi folks,

I have an Economy 7 meter at the moment, but I'm not on an E7 tariff as my night usage is only about 15%. I'd like to switch to a supplier who can't supply to E7 meters. My current supplier say there's no need for me to change meter because they'll happily give me a flat rate tariff anyway. And obviously they have no incentive to make it easier for me to switch away from them! What are my options here? Is my supplier obliged to change my meter if I insist? Or should I temporarily switch to one of the big companies who are happier to do it - in which case, anyone know who's least likely to fob me off?

TIA!
Page 1
    • CashStrapped
    • By CashStrapped 8th Mar 18, 6:05 PM
    • 1,286 Posts
    • 720 Thanks
    CashStrapped
    • 8th Mar 18, 6:05 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 6:05 PM
    You can try to insist, no harm in it, I'm not sure if you have a right to make you supplier swap it it out if they can combine a dual metre.

As you say you can swap to a bigger supplier and ask. Npower did this for me when I did this, although this was a long time ago.

Some may offer to install a smart meter, but I would avoid the current version and wait for the generation 2 versions.

---

In these instances, switching from an E7 to single rate, I would check the reasons why you are doing this.

Do you no longer have storage heaters? No longer have a hot water tank? It sounds like you know your usage but it is always something we ask. Your night use, as you say is super low to make E7 worthwhile, but it is always nice to check why it is so low.

-----
    Last edited by CashStrapped; 08-03-2018 at 6:11 PM.
    • ThePants999
    • By ThePants999 8th Mar 18, 6:35 PM
    • 1,111 Posts
    • 1,362 Thanks
    ThePants999
    • 8th Mar 18, 6:35 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 6:35 PM
    The house had the E7 meter when we bought it. Heating and hot water are both gas, so I doubt there's ever been storage heaters
    • CashStrapped
    • By CashStrapped 8th Mar 18, 6:52 PM
    • 1,286 Posts
    • 720 Thanks
    CashStrapped
    • 8th Mar 18, 6:52 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 6:52 PM
    Yep, more than enough reason to be on a single rate.
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 8th Mar 18, 7:12 PM
    • 1,348 Posts
    • 1,137 Thanks
    House Martin
    • 8th Mar 18, 7:12 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 7:12 PM
    Yep, more than enough reason to be on a single rate.
    Originally posted by CashStrapped
    Absolutely no reason to switch to a single rate.
    OP just run your yearly electric usage, in kwhs through Uswitch. Use both eco 7 with 15% night use and then try same kwhs using single rate only.
    I would be surprised if the eco 7 did nt come out the cheapest.
    Iresa Energy and a few others are offering very low eco 7 rates, eg 11.5 p/kwh day, 8pkwh/night with 21 p a day standing charge.South Yorks area
    Even with a low 15 % night usage, which could be improved with a little effort those rates would beat any single rate tariff
    Plenty of towns in my area have Eco 7 meters installed from day one, even in new builds ,even though they have a gas supply
    .Eco 7 are not only used in all electric properties.
    Last edited by House Martin; 08-03-2018 at 7:16 PM.
    • CashStrapped
    • By CashStrapped 8th Mar 18, 8:29 PM
    • 1,286 Posts
    • 720 Thanks
    CashStrapped
    • 8th Mar 18, 8:29 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 8:29 PM
    Good point, I concede.

In the vast majority of cases I have come across I would expect use that low on a gas/electric set-up to probably favour a single rate.

But, I should have told the OP to run the numbers!

And you are correct, in many instances a customer can still benefit from a E7 set-up while having gas an electric.

Thanks for keeping me on my toes
    • J B
    • By J B 8th Mar 18, 8:43 PM
    • 2,724 Posts
    • 958 Thanks
    J B
    • 8th Mar 18, 8:43 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 8:43 PM
    My current supplier say there's no need for me to change meter because they'll happily give me a flat rate tariff anyway.
    Originally posted by ThePants999
    We swapped from E7 to flat rate several years ago after doing the sums (like you have been advised to do!)
    Our digital meter had three readouts ..
    1. day
    2. night
    3. total

I suggested that we just carry on and give them the total reading, but sadly, for reasons unknown, that wasn't possible and we had to have a new (old fashioned) spinning disc analogue meter!
    • CashStrapped
    • By CashStrapped 8th Mar 18, 8:45 PM
    • 1,286 Posts
    • 720 Thanks
    CashStrapped
    • 8th Mar 18, 8:45 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 8:45 PM
    I much prefer the old fashioned spinning disc meters. Very easy to read (I don't mean the dial ones), and probably (no direct evidence) more reliable. I am surprised they installed one actually!
    • ThePants999
    • By ThePants999 9th Mar 18, 12:30 PM
    • 1,111 Posts
    • 1,362 Thanks
    ThePants999
    • 9th Mar 18, 12:30 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 12:30 PM
    I'd already run the numbers through uSwitch, CompareTheMarket and Money Supermarket, both with and without Economy 7, that's why I'm posing this question Iresa's economy 7 tariff is indeed cheapest, but there's no way I'm switching to Iresa after reading reviews of them; my cheapest option other than Iresa are Breeze, but they won't take anyone with an Economy 7 meter, hence this thread.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,518Posts Today

6,491Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin