Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • milliemolly
    • By milliemolly 8th Mar 18, 5:19 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    milliemolly
    buyers being a pain
    • 8th Mar 18, 5:19 PM
    buyers being a pain 8th Mar 18 at 5:19 PM
    hi all, we excepted an offer on our house 4 weeks ago and since then the buyers are being uncooperative. they have been asked by the estate agents to provide their solicitors details but are not handing them over. the valuation for the mortgage was done last week and still no details.
    im at a loss as to what to do. they called me the other day to ask me about something minor that showed up on the survey, that i know is not a problem, and i told them once they hand over solicitor details our solicitor will give them all the relevant paper work. they said my agent was harassing them calling them all the time, i now understand why. they are now ignoring the agents calls.
    i would be great full for any advice you may have.
Page 1
    • juniordoc
    • By juniordoc 8th Mar 18, 5:21 PM
    • 364 Posts
    • 286 Thanks
    juniordoc
    • 8th Mar 18, 5:21 PM
    Tell them if they don't instruct a solicitor within the next week that you will be remarketing the property?
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 8th Mar 18, 5:21 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,938 Thanks
    Comms69
    it's only 4 weeks, Chill.

Sales can takes months, sometimes years.

I wouldn't even consider nominating a solicitor until I was satisfied at the state of the property.

Since there's no legal obligation to have one - why are you refusing to give them information they've requested?
    • grahawk
    • By grahawk 8th Mar 18, 5:38 PM
    • 4,165 Posts
    • 7,521 Thanks
    grahawk
    • 8th Mar 18, 5:38 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 5:38 PM
    It might be only 4 weeks but serious people appoint a solicitor as soon as possible to get things moving. If they can't even do that then you have little choice but to put the house back on the market. The estate agent should be hassling them. Sound like timewasters to me.
    'If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.' Mark Twain
    • milliemolly
    • By milliemolly 8th Mar 18, 5:47 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    milliemolly
    • 8th Mar 18, 5:47 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 5:47 PM
    comms69
    because im not stupid!
    if i put in writing what they are asking me, even though i can 100% guarantee that all is fine and work was carried out to ensure that,
    if 10 year down the line something went wrong even if it had nothing to do with work we did, they can hold me responsible because i have put it in writing. the info they need their solicitor can get from building regs, who signed off on the work.
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 8th Mar 18, 6:18 PM
    • 6,318 Posts
    • 6,177 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 8th Mar 18, 6:18 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 6:18 PM
    comms69
    because im not stupid!
    if i put in writing what they are asking me, even though i can 100% guarantee that all is fine and work was carried out to ensure that,
    if 10 year down the line something went wrong even if it had nothing to do with work we did, they can hold me responsible because i have put it in writing. the info they need their solicitor can get from building regs, who signed off on the work.
    Originally posted by milliemolly
    Actually - that's not correct.

Anything you say to the buyer or write down for the buyer will not form part of the contract. (Property contracts are different in this respect from other types of contracts.)

If the buyer wants to rely on your answers, they have to be 'pre-contract enquiries' made via solicitors. Your solicitor will then include your answers in the contract.
    • ManofLeisure
    • By ManofLeisure 8th Mar 18, 7:22 PM
    • 438 Posts
    • 993 Thanks
    ManofLeisure
    • 8th Mar 18, 7:22 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 7:22 PM
    I would be extremely blunt and advise them of the following:
    1 - Appoint a solicitor or the property will be remarketed
    2 - Any questions will be answered by your solicitor

There are many 'time wasters' out there and if these people are 'serious' about buying your property, they will 'get their act together' in order to proceed.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 8th Mar 18, 7:26 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,938 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 8th Mar 18, 7:26 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 7:26 PM
    comms69
    because im not stupid!
    Originally posted by milliemolly
    Ye thatís just not true, sorry.

Like Iíve already said they donít Ďneedí a solicitor
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

421Posts Today

5,815Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin