Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ninnut85
    • By Ninnut85 8th Mar 18, 5:17 PM
    • 108Posts
    • 91Thanks
    Ninnut85
    Protected NCD
    • 8th Mar 18, 5:17 PM
    Protected NCD 8th Mar 18 at 5:17 PM
    Hello all, I've done a search but can't really find an answer to my situation on here so thought I'd write a new post.

My wife and I share our care, I'm down as the main driver and she is a named driver. Neither of us have any other policies or drive any other cars.
    Yesterday she hit out gate when reversing out and it has caused quite a bit of damage to the car, probably to the point of it becoming an MOT failure.
    I'm considering putting in a claim to get the damage repaired through my insurance but I'm aware this will put my renewal costs up.
    Out of curiosity, to see just how much it may go up, I've done some dummy comparison quotes to see the difference in price from making the claim and not making the claim.
    The issue I have is with the accident section. As she was the one driving at the time do I put the claim down against me (because I'm the main driver and the claim will technically be on my policy I suppose) or against her as she caused the accident?
    The next issue is with the protected no claims box. I have protected NCD on my policy so after deciding who to put the claim against, do I say yes or no to the 'did this affect your no claims discount box'? Technically, as it's protected, it shouldn't affect my NCD, but as there is no 3rd party, all the costs will be against my insurer and normally this would obviously greatly affect your NCD.

I'm basically weighing up whether it would be better to claim against my insurance in the hope it won't affect my renewal too much because of the NCB protection, or paying the have it fixed out of my own pocket to keep future insurance payments down.

Thank you in advance.
    Now a proud home owner after saving a deposit for 2 years
Page 1
    • FutureGirl
    • By FutureGirl 8th Mar 18, 7:38 PM
    • 1,109 Posts
    • 457 Thanks
    FutureGirl
    • 8th Mar 18, 7:38 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 7:38 PM
    Its a claim on your policy which is in your name so you declare it as your history.

It's an accident she had so discloses it as an accident on her history too.

If your NCD is protected and you've had no other instances, then the NCD will remain as it is. But if you have another incident within the next 3 years then it'll go down.

If you do claim it'll impact your premiums for the next 3-5 years.
    • flashg67
    • By flashg67 8th Mar 18, 7:40 PM
    • 2,502 Posts
    • 1,638 Thanks
    flashg67
    • 8th Mar 18, 7:40 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 7:40 PM
    My OH had a bump as a named driver in my car & I was advised to put the claim against her name. So answer 'no' under your own claims, but 'yes' when you entering your wife's details.
    As for NCD, you're usually allowed a certain number of claims before the NCD rolls back - often it's 2, but check your policy.
    NCD only protects the discount you get, the underlying premium, before the discount, can increase
    • flashg67
    • By flashg67 8th Mar 18, 7:41 PM
    • 2,502 Posts
    • 1,638 Thanks
    flashg67
    • 8th Mar 18, 7:41 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 7:41 PM
    2 different opposing answers - not too useful OP. Can only go off my experience & what my insurer told me!
    • Ninnut85
    • By Ninnut85 8th Mar 18, 7:57 PM
    • 108 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    Ninnut85
    • 8th Mar 18, 7:57 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 7:57 PM
    Its a claim on your policy which is in your name so you declare it as your history.

It's an accident she had so discloses it as an accident on her history too.
    Originally posted by FutureGirl
    But then it will seem like there has been 2 claims for the same thing won't it?
    The comparison sites don't seem to have an ability to say 'accident for this person's but 'claim for this person's. Just gives you a list of accident at fault/not at fault and then 'did this affect you no claims bonus'.
    • Ninnut85
    • By Ninnut85 8th Mar 18, 7:59 PM
    • 108 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    Ninnut85
    • 8th Mar 18, 7:59 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 7:59 PM
    2 different opposing answers - not too useful OP. Can only go off my experience & what my insurer told me!
    Originally posted by flashg67
    That's the problem isn't it, doesn't seem to be a correct way. It seems to differ between experiences, which doesn't help people like us when looking for quotes

Thank you both for your replies
    Last edited by Ninnut85; 08-03-2018 at 8:08 PM.
    • Sparx
    • By Sparx 10th Mar 18, 4:53 PM
    • 893 Posts
    • 493 Thanks
    Sparx
    • 10th Mar 18, 4:53 PM
    • 10th Mar 18, 4:53 PM
    The accident belongs to the person who caused it AKA your wife - it's her accident to declare not yours.

Your NCB will not be affected - but your premiums can and may still rise on renewal for the next 3-5 years.
    • rudekid48
    • By rudekid48 10th Mar 18, 5:25 PM
    • 2,082 Posts
    • 3,565 Thanks
    rudekid48
    • 10th Mar 18, 5:25 PM
    • 10th Mar 18, 5:25 PM
    If you get a quote with your wife as a named driver then you declare it in her history but tick yes to NCB affected (as its your NCB on your policy).

If you get a quote without your wife then you declare it on your record as it was against your policy.
    All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

162Posts Today

1,702Users online

Martin's Twitter