Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Megan F
    • By MSE Megan F 8th Mar 18, 4:11 PM
    • 282Posts
    • 152Thanks
    MSE Megan F
    MSE News: I got £1,120 back from old direct debit
    • 8th Mar 18, 4:11 PM
    MSE News: I got £1,120 back from old direct debit 8th Mar 18 at 4:11 PM
    A pensioner has managed to reclaim a whopping £1,120 after doing an audit of her direct debits and realising she'd been paying for more than five years for broadband she didn't use...
    Read the full story:
    'I got £1,120 back after finding a forgotten direct debit I'd been paying for FIVE years'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
Page 1
    • miller
    • By miller 8th Mar 18, 4:27 PM
    • 1,239 Posts
    • 433 Thanks
    miller
    • 8th Mar 18, 4:27 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 4:27 PM
    H3G - the 'H' part presumably refers to Hutchison Whampoa the holding company for 3 which became defunct on 3 June 2015 according to Wikipedia:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hutchison_Whampoa

Hutchison Whampoa merged with Cheung Kong Group to form CK Hutchison Holdings.

If the narrative on the Direct Debit had been changed at that point, the person concerned may have noticed sooner; better still why not use 'Three' or '3'.
    • aj23
    • By aj23 8th Mar 18, 5:37 PM
    • 398 Posts
    • 145 Thanks
    aj23
    • 8th Mar 18, 5:37 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 5:37 PM
    Didn't she check her current account for 5 years?
    • HornetSaver
    • By HornetSaver 8th Mar 18, 8:46 PM
    • 2,347 Posts
    • 3,775 Thanks
    HornetSaver
    • 8th Mar 18, 8:46 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 8:46 PM
    If the subject were 19 or 29 there'd be a dozen comments about how much money younsters have to throw away today.
    I'm standing by my pre-referendum prediction: "Brexit will lead to a recession"

forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=70662330
    • FredaJones
    • By FredaJones 8th Mar 18, 9:58 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    FredaJones
    • 8th Mar 18, 9:58 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 9:58 PM
    A 29 year old is a "youngster"?
    • mrsngill10
    • By mrsngill10 9th Mar 18, 9:22 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mrsngill10
    • 9th Mar 18, 9:22 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 9:22 PM
    Please can anyone help me!! We are in the same situation!

My husband took out a mobile phone contract several years ago, but when his contract was up he bought a new contract with the intention to cancel the old one. Due to his anxiety he put off cancelling this and forgot about it and has been paying for this.

When I went through his bank statement several years later, we could not figure out what it was and T mobile would not give us any information as we did not know the phone number. Subsequently we had to cancel this direct debit through our bank to cut it off at the source as T mobile had been so unhelpful.

Several months after cancelling this direct debit, he has now received a letter from some company or solicitor, stating T mobile sold his contract to them due to non payment of £68.36. We never received any letters asking for money, and as we had paid thousands on a contract he wasn't using, are quite shocked and confused as to where this sudden "non payment" has come from!

Is there any point in us trying to claim any of the money back? How on earth do we go about this?

Any help gratefully appreciated.
    • ziggycj
    • By ziggycj 14th Mar 18, 4:13 PM
    • 273 Posts
    • 429 Thanks
    ziggycj
    • 14th Mar 18, 4:13 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 4:13 PM
    She's lucky she got refunded. It's her own fault. Should check your statements properly. It's not like she had medical or other circumstances why she couldn't have been paying more attention to what she was spending.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 14th Mar 18, 5:09 PM
    • 8,330 Posts
    • 6,142 Thanks
    pmduk
    • 14th Mar 18, 5:09 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 5:09 PM

Is there any point in us trying to claim any of the money back? How on earth do we go about this?
    Originally posted by mrsngill10
    You've got an uphill struggle, as you admit that the contract was not cancelled. As such, you've had access to the service all of the time.

I'll hazard an educated guess that you 've probably moved and/or changed email addresses, since taking out the contract? This is often the cause for such situations as you don't receive communications from the network.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,217Posts Today

8,439Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin