Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • castle96
    • By castle96 8th Mar 18, 3:28 PM
    • 1,675Posts
    • 283Thanks
    castle96
    chicken soup
    • 8th Mar 18, 3:28 PM
    chicken soup 8th Mar 18 at 3:28 PM
    Just having a go at making chicken soup from the carcass. Doesnt look very appealing yet,, but Q is, can I freeze the end result ?
Page 1
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 8th Mar 18, 3:31 PM
    • 1,935 Posts
    • 7,103 Thanks
    Oakdene
    • 8th Mar 18, 3:31 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 3:31 PM
    Soup from the carcass? Sounds more like stock...

But yes you can freeze it
    Hiraeth
    • sooty&sweep
    • By sooty&sweep 8th Mar 18, 8:34 PM
    • 1,198 Posts
    • 1,409 Thanks
    sooty&sweep
    • 8th Mar 18, 8:34 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 8:34 PM
    Yes you can
    • JIL
    • By JIL 8th Mar 18, 9:43 PM
    • 2,971 Posts
    • 19,909 Thanks
    JIL
    • 8th Mar 18, 9:43 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 9:43 PM
    I have always been intrigued by the old folktale of chicken soup being like penicillin.

I have always wondered if it is indeed just stock made from chicken bones or are there other things in it that gives it the magical powers.

Would really be interested if anyone knows?
    • purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 9th Mar 18, 12:45 PM
    • 3,384 Posts
    • 20,709 Thanks
    purpleivy
    • 9th Mar 18, 12:45 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 12:45 PM
    There is a lot of gelatine in which is supposed to be healing to the gut. https://www.foodrenegade.com/heal-gut-gelatin/
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
    Trying not to waste food!
    • castle96
    • By castle96 9th Mar 18, 1:53 PM
    • 1,675 Posts
    • 283 Thanks
    castle96
    • 9th Mar 18, 1:53 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 1:53 PM
    gelatine/fat...uurgh. It looked awful. Threw it away !
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 9th Mar 18, 6:19 PM
    • 824 Posts
    • 1,654 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    • 9th Mar 18, 6:19 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 6:19 PM
    Originally posted by castle96
    Shakes head in disbelief
    • buildersdaughter
    • By buildersdaughter 9th Mar 18, 6:31 PM
    • 163 Posts
    • 423 Thanks
    buildersdaughter
    • 9th Mar 18, 6:31 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 6:31 PM
    Yes, there is some truth, I remember hearing it on a science programme on the radio years ago - not actually antibiotic, but some anti-inflammatory properties.
    OP - not sure what you did, but I suggest you look up a chicken soup recipe and adapt it - it's not just boiled up chicken carcass!
    Neither is stock really. Add:
    an onion, or onion peelings, or leek tops
    a carrot or two (you can use the rather soft ones)
    if you have some, tough outer stalk of celery (I freeze some for this purpose)
    parsley stalks (I also freeze those)
    a teaspoon of peppercorns
    a couple of bay leaves

Boil this until the carcass is coming apart. Strain all the bits out, then boil to reduce - from a single carcass you'll only get maybe 200/250ml good stock, which can be frozen. Leave to cool in the fridge, and you can lift off the fat.
    I keep a 'stock drawer' in my freezer, into which go the carcasses, odd bones or skin off chicken portions, and slightly gone -over veg as above.

You then use the stock to make the soup. You can strip the carcass of most of the meat first to go into the soup.

Personally. I think HM stock is a 'secret ingredient' in making a lot of dishes very tasty - and using less salt. But you do have to reduce it.
    Can I gently suggest that you try again?
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 9th Mar 18, 8:09 PM
    • 8,027 Posts
    • 28,099 Thanks
    Primrose
    • 9th Mar 18, 8:09 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 8:09 PM
    Originally posted by castle96
    Oh dear what a shame ! if you didnít want to use it as a base for soup you could have used the liquid stock to make a delicious mushroom risotto.

If you ever try tomake it it again, use it as a soup base with lots of chopped vegetables and or lentils in and the soup will be very tasty.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

131Posts Today

1,915Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin