Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Justme4
    • By Justme4 8th Mar 18, 3:20 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Justme4
    Whos responsible
    • 8th Mar 18, 3:20 PM
    Whos responsible 8th Mar 18 at 3:20 PM
    Hello all,

This is my first post so I will try and make it short and sweet.

Bought a Beko fridge freezer after laying floor permission given by landlord that I paid for and also paid to have laid.

Beko fridge freezer has leak from the get go.. had just had a new born and never got round to getting in touch with them until a year or so later.. the leaks happens inside and underneath meaning its leaked on the new flooring and made it swell..

Fast forward now out of warren to but they sent out an engineer who said it was something that I couldnt fix and would need fixing by Beko.

Fast forward a few more weeks still dont hear anything.. so get intouch to be told they would send an engineer to Fox the issue.. but now my floor is ruined.. I cant move the fridge freezer as the floor underneath is ugly..

They have out me through to claims who are now saying its my landlords responsibility under the buildings policy.. we will require contact to be made from the owner of the property or their property management agent.

Please note that should any repairs or replacement of the flooring fall to the responsibility of the tenant, we will require a copy of the current tenancy agreement and the original purchase receipt of the flooring.
    In speach marks is what they have replied in an email..

Please help where do I stand..

Thank you
    Justme
Page 1
    • Justme4
    • By Justme4 8th Mar 18, 3:22 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Justme4
    • 8th Mar 18, 3:22 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 3:22 PM
    I meant to add I no longer have origin proof of buying the floor as the receipt was stored on the windowsill behind ornament... though I may need it for warranty purposes.. and had been bleached by the sun!

Thanks
    • mattyprice4004
    • By mattyprice4004 8th Mar 18, 3:27 PM
    • 3,573 Posts
    • 3,046 Thanks
    mattyprice4004
    • 8th Mar 18, 3:27 PM
    You knew about the leak, but let it carry on for a year?
    • George Michael
    • By George Michael 8th Mar 18, 3:27 PM
    • 3,053 Posts
    • 4,132 Thanks
    George Michael
    Provided that the appliance is still within the warranty period then Beko should repair it.
    I would say that repairing the damage to the flooring is down to you as you were aware of the leak for a year and didn't do anything to get it fixed which may well have prevented the damage from occurring.
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 8th Mar 18, 3:29 PM
    • 3,807 Posts
    • 6,582 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    • 8th Mar 18, 3:29 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 3:29 PM
    Honestly it sounds like laminate flooring which is really not recommended for kitchens and bathrooms, it is completely unsuitable for rooms more prone to spills, damp, and condensation. Even if it is the type advertised for kitchen and bathroom use that will only ever be for quick spills and will never withstand long term standing water.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 8th Mar 18, 3:57 PM
    • 20,136 Posts
    • 15,858 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 8th Mar 18, 3:57 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 3:57 PM
    Honestly it sounds like laminate flooring which is really not recommended for kitchens and bathrooms, it is completely unsuitable for rooms more prone to spills, damp, and condensation. Even if it is the type advertised for kitchen and bathroom use that will only ever be for quick spills and will never withstand long term standing water.
    Originally posted by Fosterdog
    Absolutely this, as evidenced by the state of my kitchen floor following a minor but lengthy washing machine leak (undetected for about 6 months).
    • whitegoods_engineer
    • By whitegoods_engineer 15th Mar 18, 3:04 PM
    • 565 Posts
    • 738 Thanks
    whitegoods_engineer
    • 15th Mar 18, 3:04 PM
    • 15th Mar 18, 3:04 PM
    An appliance has developed a leak and damaged the floor. You can get the leak repaired and then replace the flooring. Your insurance may pay out for this.

This is nothing to do with Beko.
    • camelot1971
    • By camelot1971 15th Mar 18, 4:44 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 1,102 Thanks
    camelot1971
    • 15th Mar 18, 4:44 PM
    • 15th Mar 18, 4:44 PM
    Insurance won't pay if you knew about the leak but didn't do anything about it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,667Posts Today

8,343Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin