Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mick miller
    • By mick miller 8th Mar 18, 2:35 PM
    • 17Posts
    • 13Thanks
    mick miller
    MET PCN Advice required
    • 8th Mar 18, 2:35 PM
    MET PCN Advice required 8th Mar 18 at 2:35 PM
    I may have already made some fatal errors in my appeals process as this wasn't my first port of call. However, as clearly some of you are rather expert in these matters I'm hoping I can claw this back and avoid a charge.

I'm not too sure how much detail I should add so specific location won't be given. This is the current course of events.

In January I parked outside a Starbucks on a retail park run by Euro Garages. The intention was to use the toilet and grab a coffee. The place was packed so I elected to walk to the McDonald's next door and use the toilet there. On leaving I looked in again at the Starbucks and it was still busy so I got back into the car and left. Total stay less than 15 minutes. Time in McDonald's 4 minutes.

In February I received the PCN from MET stating a 60 fine rising to 100 after 14 days.

I used the online appeals process to enquire what the charge related to. I think my single sentence appeal stated "I'm not sure what the contravention here is?". I'm fairly sure I filled in the details as registered keeper.

The appeal was rejected on the grounds that "The terms and conditions of use of the car park are clearly stated on signs prominently displayed in this area. These include that the car park is for the use of XXX customers while they are on the premises only, that McDonald's is not on XXX and that there is no free parking for McDonald's. Your vehicle was recorded parked at this location while you left the site walking in the direction of McDonald!!!8217;s therefore we believe the charge notice was issued correctly and we are upholding it."

I since contacted Starbucks customer services via email and complained, they stated that they also believed the charge was incorrectly applied and that they would contact the provider, Euro Garages, to have the charge cancelled - they get this happening a lot.

I've since tried to contact Euro Garages with a copy of the email sent to Starbucks customer services to chase up the cancellation but thus far haven't had a reply. The charge still shows as active on the MET parking site.

I have received a POPLA code but wondered what my next approach should be as there seems to be little movement in having the charge quashed.

My message to Euro Garages and Starbucks did include the defence of 'inappropriate charge applied' and 'not commensurate with the loss to business', which I now know as being useless having read some of the threads. Have I boxed myself into a corner here? Should I just cough up and be done? Any advice appreciated.

I forgot to add: the photos they submitted clearly show me walking toward McDonalds and returning 3 minutes later, both times empty handed.
    Last edited by mick miller; 08-03-2018 at 2:46 PM.
Page 2
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 3rd Apr 18, 12:10 PM
    • 36,872 Posts
    • 21,007 Thanks
    Quentin
    Look for yourself how many times they have taken people to court over the last 3 years at the bmpa website

What to do following a rejected appeal is all covered in the Newbies FAQ thread
    • mick miller
    • By mick miller 3rd Apr 18, 12:13 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    mick miller
    I was just reading through that as you replied. I'll wait to see what the outcome is first, although I'm not terribly hopeful I'll be successful with POPLA.

BMPA Insight MET parking - court hearings: 0.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 3rd Apr 18, 9:45 PM
    • 60,110 Posts
    • 73,256 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Yes, which is why it is safe. Even if a court claim is tried, no ''substantial costs'' can be added.

And we still see posters here win 99% of the time, despite the doubters and a recent case lost, the figure remains at 99% win rate since 2017.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• mick miller
    • By mick miller 16th Apr 18, 11:47 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    mick miller
    I have come here simply to say:
    Your appeal was successful

As your appeal was successful, your parking charge is not effective and you do not need to take any further action.
    I cannot thank those that have helped (Coupon Mad particularly) me to beat this racket. I couldn't have done it without the help and advice found here.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 16th Apr 18, 1:17 PM
    • 60,110 Posts
    • 73,256 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Yay, SO glad to see that outcome for you!

Can you post the decision in full in POPLA Decisions, top of the forum for everyone to read?
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• mick miller
    • By mick miller 16th Apr 18, 2:27 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    mick miller
    Done that.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

260Posts Today

2,168Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin