Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • charliejames
    • By charliejames 8th Mar 18, 2:33 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    charliejames
    applying for mortgage for the first time
    • 8th Mar 18, 2:33 PM
    applying for mortgage for the first time 8th Mar 18 at 2:33 PM
    hi there,
    i am new in here and i have found this webboard very helpful, my partner and I are applying for a mortgage (joint mortgage), we are living in upminster (havering). I have been thinking about moving to Norwich which is 115+ miles away, i am full time employed for more than 3 years working as a senior carer, my partner is a sole trader ( self employed) general builder, 2 of us earn £55,000 annually. we are now renting £1,250 per month, waste of money and time!!!
    the only thing that i have a concern is that will we be ok to get mortgage for a house up in Norwich? I only do night shifts 4 nights a week and for the time being i can manage to stay at my parents (20-30 mins away from work by driving) so i can keep my current job until i find a full time job in Norwich which i am willing to relocate anyway once we move and for what i am doing with my role i can easily find a job anywhere there are a lot of care homes in Norwich.
    we just can not afford the house around here as they are too expensive for us. i am not sure if the lenders will not approve our application because the house we are looking for is too far. but that home will be our resident as my kid has to get to school, he is now in year 5. and my partner he just works all over the place. He has not got an issue as heís been self employed for more than 15+ years
    i just wonder if anyone ever experienced the same problem if you could share your story please.

thank you in advance.
Page 1
    • SharkBite
    • By SharkBite 8th Mar 18, 3:17 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    SharkBite
    • 8th Mar 18, 3:17 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 3:17 PM
    I have a friend who bought and lives in a house in Wales. She travels to London for 4 days a week to work. Stays with a friend.

I wouldn't worry.
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 8th Mar 18, 3:33 PM
    • 6,422 Posts
    • 13,233 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    • 8th Mar 18, 3:33 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 3:33 PM
    I don't think it will be an issue about buying a property in Norwich and working in Havering.

If your husband has been self employed for 15 years and can produce accounts hopefully that should be fine.

How big a deposit have you got and what amount of mortgage are you looking at?
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • charliejames
    • By charliejames 8th Mar 18, 3:43 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    charliejames
    • 8th Mar 18, 3:43 PM
    thank you for your reply
    • 8th Mar 18, 3:43 PM
    we got an AIP from my partnerís bank (Lloyds) they could us up to £220,000 with 5% deposit (thatís what Lloyds bank required)
    but due to my partnerís age so we can only have 17-18 years mortgage maximum.
    we only think about buying a house in Norwich for something between £190,000-£200,000 because we want to keep the repayment as low as possible.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

52Posts Today

3,033Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin