Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dom1n1c
    • By Dom1n1c 8th Mar 18, 2:08 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Dom1n1c
    Stop !!!! seized up help
    • 8th Mar 18, 2:08 PM
    Stop !!!! seized up help 8th Mar 18 at 2:08 PM
    Hi can anyone advise. I have an old house with lead pipes. The original stop !!!! is seized up. Can I just install another further along the pipe to avoid messing with the pipework.? If so how do I do this?
    Just had a £800 water bill and can't check for leaks until stop tap works. No money so can't get plumber.... Help!
Page 1
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 8th Mar 18, 2:13 PM
    • 31,690 Posts
    • 19,986 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 8th Mar 18, 2:13 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 2:13 PM
    Hi can anyone advise. I have an old house with lead pipes. The original stop !!!! is seized up. Can I just install another further along the pipe to avoid messing with the pipework.? If so how do I do this?
    Just had a £800 water bill and can't check for leaks until stop tap works. No money so can't get plumber.... Help!
    Originally posted by Dom1n1c
    Why not ask a plumber if it can be done, they would be best placed to give advice since they can see it.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • Dom1n1c
    • By Dom1n1c 8th Mar 18, 2:18 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Dom1n1c
    • 8th Mar 18, 2:18 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 2:18 PM
    Hi was hoping to avoid plumber as don't want to pay anyone. They charge the earth round here it's awful.
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 8th Mar 18, 2:20 PM
    • 5,156 Posts
    • 6,923 Thanks
    spadoosh
    • 8th Mar 18, 2:20 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 2:20 PM
    If you cant afford a plumber i would strongly advise against doing something that you are asking others how to do. Lets say,you mess it up. Who is going to fix it?
    Don't be angry!
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 8th Mar 18, 2:22 PM
    • 5,156 Posts
    • 6,923 Thanks
    spadoosh
    • 8th Mar 18, 2:22 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 2:22 PM
    Have you tried looking for an exterior stop tap?

Will look something like this...

Bear in mind it might be servicing more than your property.
    Don't be angry!
    • bris
    • By bris 8th Mar 18, 2:30 PM
    • 7,593 Posts
    • 6,615 Thanks
    bris
    • 8th Mar 18, 2:30 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 2:30 PM
    Problem you have is you will need to turn off the water at the main in the street picture above) because putting a new stop valve in live would flood the house in the blink of an eye.

But technically yes you can put another stop in further along, but you really need all that old lead pipe taken out.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 8th Mar 18, 3:21 PM
    • 31,690 Posts
    • 19,986 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 8th Mar 18, 3:21 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 3:21 PM
    Hi was hoping to avoid plumber as don't want to pay anyone. They charge the earth round here it's awful.
    Originally posted by Dom1n1c
    Not even a neighbour, a friend or a friend of a friend.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • Dom1n1c
    • By Dom1n1c 9th Mar 18, 9:23 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Dom1n1c
    • 9th Mar 18, 9:23 AM
    Draining excess
    • 9th Mar 18, 9:23 AM
    Hi yes Ihave turned off the external mains supply before so that is no issue and only supplies my place. I have 15 mm pipe cutter and new stop tap and am aiming to place it further along on the copper pipe using compression fit.
    I m also aware I will need to drain the excess off, the original stop tap has a drain off valve, is it just a matter of attaching a hose and getting off the excess? Will this cause any issues ie do I need to turn boiler and hot water off etc.
    I am determined to do this myself. I am quite practical having just replaced the bearings on my washer dryer saving myself hundreds and it required dismantling and re assembling the entire machine.
    I have deep pockets and short arms so will be attempting myself.
    Can anyone advise on the draining of the excess..
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 9th Mar 18, 9:42 AM
    • 5,156 Posts
    • 6,923 Thanks
    spadoosh
    • 9th Mar 18, 9:42 AM
    • 9th Mar 18, 9:42 AM
    Well you clearly have some skills, turning lead in to copper is remarkable.

Good luck with your DIY.

In case you dont know, most home insurance policies dont cover damage caused by diy, might be worth looking at before you start any work.
    Don't be angry!
    • Ruski
    • By Ruski 9th Mar 18, 9:52 AM
    • 1,519 Posts
    • 892 Thanks
    Ruski
    If your stopcock has seized I doubt very much that the drainoff would work either - or at least not close properly afterwards.

Drain off as much as you can from the nearest tap, and open up the furthest away that mains fed, this will allow the vacuum to break and empty the pipework.

Cutting in a new stopcock on a 15mm copper pipe is a straightforward task, but also consider another drainoff too for the reasons above.

FYI Spadoosh - Lead often converts to copper at the stopcock.

HTH

Russ
    Perfection takes time: don't expect miracles in a day
    • Niv
    • By Niv 9th Mar 18, 11:27 AM
    • 1,600 Posts
    • 1,377 Thanks
    Niv
    Before you install new stop 'tap' have you tried penetrant spray on the seized one? This has worked for me in the past.
    YNWA

Target: Mortgage free by 58.
    • daivid
    • By daivid 9th Mar 18, 5:10 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 163 Thanks
    daivid
    There are plenty of good instructional videos on youtube to show you how to complete various plumbing tasks. The hardest part will be cutting the gap the correct size so both pipes go into the compression fittings properly. I would say it is definately a diy level task though if you have a friend or family member with some experience getting them in would be prudent and make things much easier.
    • daivid
    • By daivid 9th Mar 18, 5:15 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 163 Thanks
    daivid
    Also with the new stop c__k (or the orginal if you free it) it is a good idea to wind it back in a 1/4 turn or so from fully open, that way if it siezes you may be able to wiggle it free.
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 9th Mar 18, 6:01 PM
    • 2,683 Posts
    • 1,552 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    If you type stopcock (the correct and proper word) it will show it in the forum correctly, however if you type stop !!!! (two words) it will come out with exclamation marks!
    • Dom1n1c
    • By Dom1n1c 9th Mar 18, 6:35 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Dom1n1c
    Lead pipes from outside, they then connect to copper just after the stop tap... Was like that when we moved in. Thanks
    • Dom1n1c
    • By Dom1n1c 9th Mar 18, 6:38 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Dom1n1c
    I did try that but no good. Don't think k the previous owner turned it for many years now when I try the whole thing twists loose which doesn't look good, whilst the actual screw part is stuck fast..
    • Dom1n1c
    • By Dom1n1c 10th Mar 18, 11:19 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Dom1n1c
    All sorted I managed to turn the tap on the original one after easing it with a some tools.
    Now time to work out where the leak is that is causing me an £800 water bill!
    • JohnB47
    • By JohnB47 10th Mar 18, 11:32 AM
    • 991 Posts
    • 307 Thanks
    JohnB47
    Good news then.

Regarding the water leak - presumably you know its a leak in your property, i.e. after the meter point? My meter has a little dial thingy and with all the taps etc. in the house turned off, the needle on this little dial is stationary. With even the slightest flow (e.g. a dripping tap) the needle spins quite quickly.

Are you observing that?
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 10th Mar 18, 7:15 PM
    • 6,626 Posts
    • 5,136 Thanks
    ohreally
    Can you get a pair of stilsons on your c ock and try and close is beyond hand tightness (careful not to over do it).

Just noticed you got it.
    Last edited by ohreally; 10-03-2018 at 7:18 PM.
    Donít be a canít, be a can.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

128Posts Today

1,804Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin