Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • KERRYRADZ
    • By KERRYRADZ 8th Mar 18, 1:53 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    KERRYRADZ
    BAD CREDIT HISTORY - Which mortgage lender to try?
    • 8th Mar 18, 1:53 PM
    BAD CREDIT HISTORY - Which mortgage lender to try? 8th Mar 18 at 1:53 PM
    Hiya, sorry this is a long one!
    Me and my husband are in the position to buy, we have a 10% deposit and are ready and waiting to get a mortgage in principle. My husband has a default on his credit history from 2015 whereby he thought he'd cancelled his mobile vodafone account but they continued to bill us, he'd deleted the direct debit so incurred 8 months of charges (and defaulted on the account) before us realising when we tried to buy in July 2015. We paid the debt off immediately but couldn't get a mortgage with only 10% deposit and a defaulted account on his records. His credit score is still 'poor' despite no further defaults and paying all bills etc on time. Unfortunately, due to house prices rising since 2015 we still only have a 10% deposit however, due to the length of time passed are hoping to try again, can anyone recommend a mortgage lender to try first who is more likely to accept us? (I have an "excellent" credit rating)
Page 1
    • ACG
    • By ACG 8th Mar 18, 1:55 PM
    • 17,042 Posts
    • 8,928 Thanks
    ACG
    • 8th Mar 18, 1:55 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 1:55 PM
    I know this will come across as biased but a broker is probably your best bet. There should be lenders open to you, but a broker will package your case up to give you the best chance of being accepted.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 8th Mar 18, 1:56 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 8th Mar 18, 1:56 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 1:56 PM
    Try an all market broker.

(you might have an excellent credit rating, but it's largely meaningless - Equifax aren't lending you money! )
    • KERRYRADZ
    • By KERRYRADZ 8th Mar 18, 2:05 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    KERRYRADZ
    • 8th Mar 18, 2:05 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 2:05 PM
    Thanks for you replies we have contacted a broker but he hasn't really given us a definitive answer whether we'll be accepted and won't try until we find somewhere but I don't think I can cope with the disappoint like last time when we was told we had a mortgage in principle, made an offer and it wasn't until a week down the line that the lender pulled out
    • KERRYRADZ
    • By KERRYRADZ 8th Mar 18, 2:07 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    KERRYRADZ
    • 8th Mar 18, 2:07 PM
    Broker Finder
    • 8th Mar 18, 2:07 PM
    Hi, is there any data base or somewhere I can find a mortgage broker in my local area?
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 8th Mar 18, 2:08 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 8th Mar 18, 2:08 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 2:08 PM
    Hi, is there any data base or somewhere I can find a mortgage broker in my local area?
    Originally posted by KERRYRADZ
    Yes, google,
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

131Posts Today

1,359Users online

Martin's Twitter