Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kah22
    • By kah22 8th Mar 18, 1:44 PM
    • 1,370Posts
    • 481Thanks
    kah22
    iPad memory. How much?
    • 8th Mar 18, 1:44 PM
    iPad memory. How much? 8th Mar 18 at 1:44 PM
    I知 on the lookout for a new iPad to replace my old iPad mini. As it is really only for personal use and I知 in no particular rush I think I値l try and find a refurbished one.

The problem is I don稚 know what storage I should aim for. I do know that the operation system will take a large chunk of it and I知 assuming pre-installed programs will do likewise. It will be for general use: surfing the net, the niece is into YouTube, photos, radio and some music

What would be your suggestions and why?

Kevin
    Illegitimi non carborundum
Page 1
    • Catswhiska
    • By Catswhiska 8th Mar 18, 2:08 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    Catswhiska
    • 8th Mar 18, 2:08 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 2:08 PM
    Really the biggest amount of storage you can afford. If you are keeping it for a few years then at least 64gb possibly 128gb
    • CardinalWolsey
    • By CardinalWolsey 8th Mar 18, 3:12 PM
    • 212 Posts
    • 191 Thanks
    CardinalWolsey
    • 8th Mar 18, 3:12 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 3:12 PM
    It will be for general use: surfing the net, the niece is into YouTube, photos, radio and some music
    Originally posted by kah22
    If you're not fully bought in to the Apple ecosystem, which it doesn't sound as if you are, then go Android. You can get an Android tablet that takes SD cards, so you can expand memory very cheaply. The key thing to then look out for is how much system memory / RAM the device has, and not have to worry about general storage capacity. In our household we have a selection of iPads, but more recently 8" Kindle Fire HD, 10" Kindle Fire HD, and a Samsung tablet.

IMO you get a lot more value for money from an Android tablet, but be aware that not many apps (even now) are optimised for a tablet on Android, they're mainly targeted to phones. But from the usage you've mentioned that shouldn't be an issue for you.
    • Dreamnine
    • By Dreamnine 8th Mar 18, 3:27 PM
    • 7,926 Posts
    • 13,410 Thanks
    Dreamnine
    • 8th Mar 18, 3:27 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 3:27 PM
    I'd say 64GB should be plenty for you unless you like to store a lot of films/games/music, even then you may well be fine.

On my iPad Pro 10.5 I've used 14.6GB out of 64 and have all my favourite apps on there.
    I shot a vein in my neck and coughed up a Quaalude.
    Lou Reed The Last Shot
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 8th Mar 18, 3:59 PM
    • 2,865 Posts
    • 2,073 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 8th Mar 18, 3:59 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 3:59 PM
    What is the storage on your iPad Mini, has it ever been a problem for you? If not then what you've currently got is going to be fine in a newer iPad.
    • ukcarper
    • By ukcarper 8th Mar 18, 4:58 PM
    • 12,433 Posts
    • 13,773 Thanks
    ukcarper
    • 8th Mar 18, 4:58 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 4:58 PM
    I've got the basic 32gb and have only used 14gb. I don't take or store videos and have no music on it only a few photos so I find 32gb plenty.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 8th Mar 18, 5:19 PM
    • 31,690 Posts
    • 19,986 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 8th Mar 18, 5:19 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 5:19 PM
    If I could change the memory I have in my Samsung tablet Id swap from 32GB to 64GB.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • kah22
    • By kah22 8th Mar 18, 11:38 PM
    • 1,370 Posts
    • 481 Thanks
    kah22
    • 8th Mar 18, 11:38 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 11:38 PM
    If you're not fully bought in to the Apple ecosystem, which it doesn't sound as if you are, then go Android. You can get an Android tablet that takes SD cards, so you can expand memory very cheaply.
    Originally posted by CardinalWolsey
    I知 not an Apple disciple as such. I have an iPhone, iPod and an iPad mini 32gb with a little over 20gb used and I see what Tarambor means. That痴 really what痴 keeping me within the Apple family. I have a dreadful Windows laptop which I use if I知 doing detailed work
    • stojom
    • By stojom 19th Mar 18, 11:53 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    stojom
    • 19th Mar 18, 11:53 AM
    • 19th Mar 18, 11:53 AM
    Before you change your iPad there's a rumour that the may be bringing out a cheaper one with same specs as last years model5. May be worth hanging on a couple of months.
    • 20aday
    • By 20aday 19th Mar 18, 1:10 PM
    • 2,196 Posts
    • 911 Thanks
    20aday
    If/when you do decide to go for an iPad in terms of photos there are apps like Google Photos whereby you can store unlimited copies in a compressed format or if you wish to keep higher quality images then it!!!8217;ll count towards your 15GB Google Drive allowance.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 20th Mar 18, 12:41 PM
    • 31,690 Posts
    • 19,986 Thanks
    DCFC79
    OP what have you decided to do ?
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • Zandy_23
    • By Zandy_23 20th Mar 18, 1:59 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    Zandy_23
    Go for the 128gb if you take or save lots of photos or music. If you find it a little pricey then go for the 64gb and then save your files in icloud or google drive. Never get the 16gb or you will have lots of storage problems.
    • kah22
    • By kah22 20th Mar 18, 3:30 PM
    • 1,370 Posts
    • 481 Thanks
    kah22
    Before you change your iPad there's a rumour that the may be bringing out a cheaper one with same specs as last years model5. May be worth hanging on a couple of months.
    Originally posted by stojom
    As in no big hurry I値l hang back for a few months and see what happens
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

131Posts Today

1,915Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin