Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dimples7166
    • By Dimples7166 8th Mar 18, 1:42 PM
    • 35Posts
    • 5Thanks
    Dimples7166
    A Forgotten Post Office Account
    • 8th Mar 18, 1:42 PM
    A Forgotten Post Office Account 8th Mar 18 at 1:42 PM
    Hi all

Any assistance would be appreciated.
    My mum passed away in 2006, and just recently my dad had been sorting through a box of things and discovered some things that he gave to me.

One of the items was an old post office book (the post office is still there), that my Mum had opened for me when I was 3 months old, with 10 (a lot of money I would imagine back then)m, and it has never been withdrawn. It was opened on 1st March 1966.

Would this have gained interest on it, is it worth looking into?

Thanks everyone
Page 1
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 8th Mar 18, 6:04 PM
    • 2,389 Posts
    • 1,791 Thanks
    Alexland
    • 8th Mar 18, 6:04 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 6:04 PM
    Yes it is worth investigating as a historical quirk but I doubt it has grown by much.

In 1969 the Post Office Savings Bank became a separate government department accountable to the Treasury and was renamed National Savings. This then became National Savings & Investments in around 2000.
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 8th Mar 18, 6:22 PM
    • 2,687 Posts
    • 7,691 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    • 8th Mar 18, 6:22 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 6:22 PM
    every little helps
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 8th Mar 18, 7:58 PM
    • 4,687 Posts
    • 3,519 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 8th Mar 18, 7:58 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 7:58 PM
    The money will be a 'lost' account but can be claimed

http://policydetective.co.uk/postOffice.jsp
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

128Posts Today

1,804Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin