Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Familyevents
    • By Familyevents 8th Mar 18, 1:37 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Familyevents
    Tax credits, self employed, illness and hours
    • 8th Mar 18, 1:37 PM
    Tax credits, self employed, illness and hours 8th Mar 18 at 1:37 PM
    OK slightly complicated.
    I have been self employed for years. I receive 30 hours based working tax credit.

During the last few years I was in a franchise type position and although not earning nmw I was working 30 hours which I could account for.

At the end of February the franchise ended. I am still working with the same company in the same role and another company but on a pay per item basis. Some weeks I have done 30 hours some weeks slightly less.

The problem is I am struggling. I have a lot of health issues going on and am on quite a bit of medication and regular injections, problems with my eye sight etc which is making it difficult. I have been referred to the hospital to try and get it under control.

Obviously I have to inform Tax credits within 30 days of changes.
    How do I go in it due to illness I can't work for a while or if due to illness I don't manage the 30 hours that week.

Can I also ask in case it goes that way what happens if one week you were to get no work or sales.
Page 1
    • BAFE
    • By BAFE 8th Mar 18, 2:55 PM
    • 98 Posts
    • 146 Thanks
    BAFE
    • 8th Mar 18, 2:55 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 2:55 PM
    It doesn't sound as if the self employed business is going very well for you with all your illnesses and the possibility of not having any work some weeks. Would being on ESA due to sickness work better for you.

If you claim tax credits and you are off sick then you aren't entitled to working tax credits for this period and would have to come off tax credits and claim SSP instead. If you had no work i'm guessing that this would class as unemployed so you would have to register for that on the weeks you don't have any work too.

Bear in mind that if you also get housing benefit you have to inform them each time there is a change too.
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 8th Mar 18, 3:11 PM
    • 11,500 Posts
    • 13,384 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 8th Mar 18, 3:11 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 3:11 PM
    It doesn't sound as if the self employed business is going very well for you with all your illnesses and the possibility of not having any work some weeks. Would being on ESA due to sickness work better for you.

If you claim tax credits and you are off sick then you aren't entitled to working tax credits for this period and would have to come off tax credits and claim SSP instead. If you had no work i'm guessing that this would class as unemployed so you would have to register for that on the weeks you don't have any work too.

Bear in mind that if you also get housing benefit you have to inform them each time there is a change too.
    Originally posted by BAFE
    Working tax credits can be continued to be paid whilst sick.

https://www.gov.uk/working-tax-credit/further-information

Since the OP is self employed then he would not be eligible for SSP (you are self employed aren't you? just checking)

The OP is concerned that they are not working enough hours to claim WTC so presumably OP is single if they need to work 30 hrs.

Basically OP you have a decision to make and what decision you take depends on your personal circumstances - i.e if you have a partner/single with children then the options will be different.

So, can you tell us your personal circumstances?
    • Familyevents
    • By Familyevents 8th Mar 18, 3:38 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Familyevents
    • 8th Mar 18, 3:38 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 3:38 PM
    Thanks for the replies. I am a single Mum of a teenager who is under 16 and I am registered self employed.
    I am claiming 30 hours as that's what I have always had work for and above until now.
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 8th Mar 18, 3:56 PM
    • 11,500 Posts
    • 13,384 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 8th Mar 18, 3:56 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 3:56 PM
    Thanks for the replies. I am a single Mum of a teenager who is under 16 and I am registered self employed.
    I am claiming 30 hours as that's what I have always had work for and above until now.
    Originally posted by Familyevents
    In that case you can work for over 16 hrs and still claim WTC.

https://www.gov.uk/working-tax-credit/eligibility

You will still need to inform tax credits of the change of circumstances.
    • Familyevents
    • By Familyevents 8th Mar 18, 4:05 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Familyevents
    • 8th Mar 18, 4:05 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 4:05 PM
    That's what I thought but when I asked their helpline as a general query they said it would change me to universal credit.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

156Posts Today

1,494Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin